Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jeremy Paxman says 'no votes for pensioners'

(648 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 09-Feb-18 10:34:30

Good morning!

In the Daily Mail yesterday, a story quoted Jeremy Paxman saying that pensioners had 'betrayed young people' and that, as a result, over 65s shouldn't be allowed to vote.

He also said: ‘I think that my generation have behaved like spoilt children. And, like spoilt children, our response is “it’s not my fault”. It’s never our bloody fault.

‘Actually, it is, because we have failed to recognise the consequences of our behaviour.’

Here's the full story: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5370159/Ban-spoilt-elderly-voting-says-Jeremy-Paxman.html

We'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 23-Feb-18 11:39:50

What does "I can guarantee in my town most of the people paying won’t be pensioners. It can’t continue" mean please gillybob? I don't understand what you are trying to say. If we had a National Citizens Pension it would be national. What can't continue?

POGS Fri 23-Feb-18 12:49:47

There are rich and poor people of 'all' ages.

So why are the older generation being accused all the time of being selfish?

There is a political will at the moment to divide the young and old , the old 'Divide and Conquer' game is a foot.

Did any of us believe when we were the youth of the day our parents, grandparents should be deemed as irrelevant and should have no input into how our and their lives were run by saying they should be stopped the right to vote at 65?

I respected the maturity, the fact my parents and grandparents had a life experience and knowledge I could never have because of the age gap.

I would have felt ashamed of myself to remotely think / believe in a democratic country the thought that once you hit your pension age you were no longer a citizen with citizens right to something so basic as a the right to vote.

Bus passes and rail fares are the small fry topics compared to the taking away of the right to vote and the lack of understanding age is not a definer of wealth but the politics of division is gaining momentum and it is a dangerous playing field.

Wally Fri 23-Feb-18 13:25:19

By keeping on with this thread we are giving Paxman some credence, I say he is irrelevant and should be treated as such.

lemongrove Fri 23-Feb-18 14:00:47

Wally I just came back on this thread to say the same thing smile

Wally Fri 23-Feb-18 15:23:18

Great minds think alike.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 23-Feb-18 15:51:04

There is another bit to that quote Wally. If you claim one ... grin

lemongrove Fri 23-Feb-18 15:58:00

I wonder if Paxman is reading this thread on FB, if so, not sure if he would be delighted to be so talked about or dismayed by what is said.?

GracesGranMK2 Fri 23-Feb-18 16:28:25

He won't care lemons as most people wrote to the DM article and not what he said.

Jalima1108 Fri 23-Feb-18 17:03:39

He won't care lemons as most people wrote to the DM article and not what he said
There were three other people debating and it would be interesting to be able to read a transcript of the full debate.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 23-Feb-18 17:10:27

It would Jalima. I wonder if one is available.

POGS Fri 23-Feb-18 17:38:02

Jalima

Yes it would and I would like to know what Esther Rantzen said as I believe she was an opposing debater.

Jalima1108 Fri 23-Feb-18 17:43:43

I can't find much out there but it was held at The Cedars School
"The Cedars School, independent education with a Catholic ethos for boys aged 11-18".

The motion debated was ‘The Younger Generations have been Betrayed by the Older Generations’. It was a lively debate which covered a lot of ground. There were votes cast on the motion before and after the debate, resulting in a 13% swing against the motion; the motion was defeated

www.thecedarsschool.org.uk/the-cedars-debating-society-meet-jeremy-paxman/

Yorkshiregel Wed 28-Feb-18 09:54:41

I think JP has his head up his own anus. He is always arrogant, but this takes the biscuit. Pensioners are the ones who have paid for the NHS from the beginning. No doubt he doesn't think twice about using it. We are the ones who struggled to buy our own homes and worked damned hard to do it. We are the ones who fought hard, and are still fighting, for women's rights. We are the people who looked after the grandchildren so parents could work. I saved for my pension and I contributed to OH's too being a Civil Servant. I had no choice, it was taken out of my pay packet, and I started paying before even finding a husband. I do not have a bus or train pass, I have a car which I bought, maintain and buy petrol for myself. I voted to come out of the EU so that my children and theirs could have a better, brighter future. I did two years of research so I knew what I voted for. He should just shut up because he is making a fool of himself.

Yorkshiregel Wed 28-Feb-18 10:08:53

Personally I hate being patted on the head or being called 'Pet'! I may be getting on a bit but I have all my own teeth, I am able bodied, get lots of exercise walking and cycling, eat properly, do crosswords, etc etc. Being old does not make me a bed blocker, nor does it make me feel guilty for not downsizing. I do feel sorry for youngsters as it is hard for them, especially where tuition fees are concerned....which is a bugbear of mine..BUT we found it hard too, so did our parents and our grandparents had to live through 2 world wars plus rationing and the grief of having lost sons and daughters, husbands or lovers. Life can be hard for those who are not rich. For hoo ray Henries life is a doddle and they do not know what to spend their money on.....maybe they could set up hostels for the homeless, or work in soup kitchens, fund drop in food banks or donate the interest on their savings to charity? I cannot do that, but I do give the free item from 'buy one get one free' to people who live on the street, and I do take my used books etc to charity shops. Every little helps.

durhamjen Mon 05-Mar-18 23:15:08

rightsinfo.org/beast-east-brings-older-peoples-rights-sharp-focus/

This should please Paxman.

Yorkshiregel Tue 06-Mar-18 08:34:33

Good advice. Not always possible to stick to it though if you live alone and are ill for example. Made worse if you live out in the countryside when you can get cut off. Thank goodness for deliveries to your door and kind people who keep an eye on their neighbours.

Yorkshiregel Tue 06-Mar-18 08:37:34

One day J Paxman you will be old. I hope people do not say things about you like that. Next time perhaps you could keep your thoughts to yourself? How hurtful can you get. Always knew you were an obnoxious arrogant prat by the way you treat the students on University Challenge !

MaizieD Tue 06-Mar-18 11:38:55

Jeremy Paxman is old. Born 1950.

(though if being born in 1950 doesn't count as being old I say "Yippeee" grin )

Jalima1108 Tue 06-Mar-18 12:02:44

Oh dear, I must be 'elderly'
grin

MaizieD I thought that 70 was the new 50!

Yorkshiregel Tue 06-Mar-18 13:54:38

I was still playing badminton at 60! That is not old, so I reckon 80+ is when you start slowing down.

Elegran Tue 06-Mar-18 14:06:31

80+ sounds about right to me. I am a year off that and can foresee a fair bit of slowing down on the horizon. Not that I have ever played badminton, or any other sports. I have no affinity with fast-moving objects.

varian Tue 06-Mar-18 14:30:31

Elderly is a lot older than I am, but sometimes I feel a lot older than I am.