Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour advisor : "You're white and your entire existence is drenched in racism.".

(301 Posts)
Day6 Tue 27-Feb-18 19:54:26

Of all the people to advise, Labour has recruited the trans model who was sacked from her role with L'Oreal because of her savage racist remarks.

From The Guardian: www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/27/trans-model-munroe-bergdorf-advise-labour-lgbt-issues

Labour finds itself embroiled in another row after appointing an equalities adviser who claimed that white people's 'entire existence is drenched in racism'.

The Transgender model Munroe Bergdorf who wrote these slurs last year has been appointed to advise Labour politicians on LGBT issues.

“Yes ALL white people. Because most of ya’ll don’t even realise or refuse to acknowledge that your existence, privilege and success as a race is built on the backs, blood and death of people of colour. Your entire existence is drenched in racism.”

Bergdorf also tweeted the suffragettes were “white supremacists who were fighting for WHITE women’s rights”, arguing they specifically left black people out of the movement.

Bergdorf had called gay Tory activists a “special kind of dickhead” and suggested white people had been conditioned to be racist.

Helen Grant MP who is the Conservative vice chair for Communities said "When Jeremy Corbyn was elected Labour leader, he promised a ‘kinder politics’. Yet it seems every day we see some new example of abuse from the Labour party. The kind of language Bergdorf has used has no place in public life, and ought to be condemned by all those who are serious about promoting equality.”

It seems Labour can turn a blind eye to 'some' hate speech. This follows the row about anti-semitism within the party. Will suspended Ken Livingstone who brought the party into disrepute will be back in the Labour Party fold before long? Insiders say he is likely to be readmitted.

trisher Sun 04-Mar-18 21:13:28

I wish people would try to seperate and understand the statements she has made and stop reading into them their own prejudices and preconceived beliefs.
Historically there is no doubt that the society we now inhabit was built through slavery and exploitation, so yes "your existence is drenched in racism".
And yes white people have oppressed and behaved violently towards others.
Then there is the question about William Wilberforce. Yes he was an abolitionist and fought slavery, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have been racist as well. Believing all men should be free is not the same as believng all men are equal.
It isn't a simple subject and the dismissive and critical comments which fail to really look at the issues involved are indications that there is an element of racism present.

Iam64 Sun 04-Mar-18 18:47:02

Eloethan - I agree with your point that its difficult for white people to understand what it feels like to be non white, even if its only part of your heritage.
Like many families, we have family members and friends who aren't white British. We have gay and lesbian friends and family members. We have one young family member who is struggling with gender identity and is relieved this can be discussed in the family/friendship group without criticism or derogatory comments.
Surely that's the point isn't it? That somehow we all muddle through, doing our best and acknowledging that the White British Male members of our family have less idea of what it feels like to be oppressed than many others.

POGS Sun 04-Mar-18 17:45:08

Eloethan

I understand the sensitivity involved when debates on race are being discussed but I am unsure what your view is of Bergdorfs stance and the fact she is an adviser to Labour Shadow Minister Dawn Butler.

Are you agreeing with Bergdorfs comments, tweets , articles face book page etc..

E.G
Do you agree all white people are racist?

Do you agree the white race is the most violent and oppressive force of nature on earth?

I won't mention other 'ditties' for viewing.

Eloethan Sun 04-Mar-18 16:39:07

Additionally, when we lived in the north west, my daughter was subjected to a great deal of racism and was frequently referred to as a "Paki".

Eloethan Sun 04-Mar-18 16:37:01

When people are mixed race, they are often treated as if they are foreign. My son has a white mum (me) and an Asian dad (my husband). My son was born in this country, has no accent and has lived here all his life. Yet he has been known to be asked where he comes from and has been called a "Paki".

Mixed race people are often not seen as also having white heritage and are sometimes treated as if they are foreign, hence the reason why some of them see themselves primarily ass "black".

petra Sun 04-Mar-18 16:24:34

POGS
I have, and I've come to the same conclusion as some on here have. Unfortunately those conclusions can't be shared on this forum.

POGS Sun 04-Mar-18 15:41:28

petra 12.44

It confuses me too, there is no consistency as to how she elects to describe herself.

Just read the links on this thread alone.

Bridgeit Sun 04-Mar-18 14:18:04

Yes that appears to be the ‘illogical logic’ of what Bergdorf said !

Anniebach Sun 04-Mar-18 13:30:38

So we should regard William Willberforce as a man who was a racist because he was white and not admire his fight to abolish slavery

Bridgeit Sun 04-Mar-18 13:22:07

We can only judge yesterday’s decisions on yesterday’s circumstances ,everything has a starting point & we as a nation have evolved & changed over time ( as has the rest of the world,) but sadly not at the same rate ,we still have starvation ,cruelty , issues of every kind. So I think she should have couched her comments in the right context to the norms of the time. The rights & wrongs of the past cannot be changed, better that we celebrate that we are forever moving forwards in an attempt to eradicate all predjudices. But sadly equality for many people is still along way off, I cannot believe that in parts of the world there is still chronic starvation, and where people have no power of their own lives . So that particular stand alone comment
doesn’t really help anyone.

petra Sun 04-Mar-18 12:44:47

Could someone explain to this simple soul (me) why, she chose to call herself a white person when she is clearly mixed race and not a black person?
Am I missing something?

Eloethan Sun 04-Mar-18 12:08:02

I think white people - and I am one but my husband is Asian - have little comprehension of how it feels to be black and are often keen to minimise or even deny the racism that many black people continue to experience.

Many times when the issue of racism is raised, white people make confident pronouncements as to there being very little racism now, sometimes suggesting that those who complain have "chips on their shoulders". It must feel like the whole of society is racist when people have their own experiences of racism brushed aside in this way.

POGS Sun 04-Mar-18 11:49:50

durhamjen.

Yesterday I posted re Bergdorf and her appearence on THIS WEEK last October. You posted, presumably to me :-

durhamjen Sat 03-Mar-18 10:54:10
" I can't see anywhere there where she has said ALL white people in the UK are irredeemably racist.

I am sure if she had said that you would have quoted it."

That was after I quoted from the programme :-

YOU THINK WE ARE IRREDEEMABLY RACIST DON'T YOU?

" YES , I DO UNFORTUNATELY I DO. I THINK THE SUCCESS OF BRITAIN IS LITERALLY BASED ON RACISM."

Today you put forward yet another link from the Guardian which states :-

"For the record, I’m white. I don’t hate other white people. Lots of my friends are white. Yet the statement “all white people are racist” doesn’t make me angry. It makes me sad, because I believe it’s probably true."
---

Bergdorf does not fight shy of accepting what she has said it appears to me and it doesn't take much to see or hear what she has said from her in person.

If some people believe what she says 100% then fine, but if you are white then you are accepting you too believe you are racist ,albeit not learned but you inherited your attitude because consciously or unconsciously it was passed down to you through privilege. Oh and you believe the WHITE RACE is the most violent and oppressive force of nature on earth"

Or can you agree with somebody , validate their opinion but you don't include yourself in the equation but happily, readily apply it only to 'others'.?

Anniebach Sun 04-Mar-18 10:43:06

I don't think you were wrong Baggs, when people get their photographs in the papers for publicity then comments are made, such as that time a so called celeb was photographed without knickers . I think chicken fillet boobs are ugly and little wonder young girls are so troubled by what they consider are their ugly bodies,

Baggs Sun 04-Mar-18 10:27:19

Yes, I am sorry about the crass remark on appearance. It was not really about her in particular though but a comment on my dislike of the red carpet fashion of women exposing, in my opinion, far too much chest and, in some cases, too much chest enhancement. I don't think it is crass to dislike and to say one dislikes, a fashion.

But it is true, I should not have made it personal.

Eloethan Sun 04-Mar-18 09:43:15

I don't know if it was in Baggs' post or in the newspaper that I read this woman had made a reference to "Butch Lezzies" and a "joke" about gay bashing.

I too think that such remarks are totally unacceptable and, while I think her comments relating to racism, though poorly expressed, had substance, I don't think the sort of remarks she has made relating to gay people can be justified. I would not pass it off as "banter" whoever had said it.

I think it is also wrong to, in response, make similarly crass comments regarding a person's appearance.

Primrose65 Sun 04-Mar-18 09:21:37

Apparently now MB has been quite derogatory towards the lesbian community and has had to issue yet another apology/clarification.

Anniebach Sun 04-Mar-18 09:07:00

Well said Baggs

Iam64 Sun 04-Mar-18 08:53:14

I've just caught up this this thread and want to correct what I said in a rather garbled post. I commented that I hadn't seen comments from Bergdorf that incited violence. Baggs corrected me by quoting a comment from Bergdorf about gay bashing. Since yesterday, I've read a number of articles, including the Times article Baggs quotes here. Baggs, I agree with your views on this issue.
I'm stunned that some posters see Bergdorf's comments as possibly being banter between like minded people, which makes it all ok. It doesn't. So called "banter" between like minded people which is derogatory or abusive towards say gay, lesbian, black, ethnic, minority groups, women, people with various disabilities (etc) are rightly condemned.

Jalima1108 Sat 03-Mar-18 23:28:16

Posters who think it their business to just tell other people how to behave never seem to be removed

Do you think posters themselves should be removed because you don't agree with their posts or because they are passing comment on someone's appearance or behaviour?

I prefer natural with all its imperfections and I think the endless striving for supposed physical perfection is a major factor in the reported increasing mental health problems in young women. Young men too but rather less so according to reports.

There is so much in the news about body dysmorphia and young girls especially disliking their appearance, their bodies, that this comment is very relevant imo. It is an extremely worrying trend.

janeainsworth Sat 03-Mar-18 22:52:30

Thank you Petra.

MaizieD Sat 03-Mar-18 22:51:29

I had some unkind thoughts about Bergdorf's picture in the paper this morning. Low décolletage revealing stuck on, rather unconvincing breasts. This wasn't a transphobic thought; I'd have the same thoughts about any obviously false breast enhancements. I prefer natural with all its imperfections and I think the endless striving for supposed physical perfection is a major factor in the reported increasing mental health problems in young women. Young men too but rather less so according to reports.

This was the singularly tasteless and irrelevant post by Baggs which prompted my now removed post.

I realise now that I should have just told her straight that I thought it was horrible and in no way relevant to the topic being discussed; which was Ms Bergdorf's suitability as an advisor on LBGT issues, not her personal appearance. In fgact, it seemed to be bordering on transphobic despite her disclaimer.

Posters who think it their business to just tell other people how to behave never seem to be removed...

durhamjen Sat 03-Mar-18 22:31:15

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/06/white-people-solution-problem-munroe-bergdorf-racist

Baggs Sat 03-Mar-18 22:25:07

Oh, thanks, petra. Doing great with my fuzzy headed misreadings today, aren't I? Sorry again, janea!

petra Sat 03-Mar-18 22:16:16

Baggs
It wasn't Janea who asked you to post a picture for others to criticise, it was MaizieD. That post has been deleted but not at the posters request.