Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour advisor : "You're white and your entire existence is drenched in racism.".

(301 Posts)
Day6 Tue 27-Feb-18 19:54:26

Of all the people to advise, Labour has recruited the trans model who was sacked from her role with L'Oreal because of her savage racist remarks.

From The Guardian: www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/27/trans-model-munroe-bergdorf-advise-labour-lgbt-issues

Labour finds itself embroiled in another row after appointing an equalities adviser who claimed that white people's 'entire existence is drenched in racism'.

The Transgender model Munroe Bergdorf who wrote these slurs last year has been appointed to advise Labour politicians on LGBT issues.

“Yes ALL white people. Because most of ya’ll don’t even realise or refuse to acknowledge that your existence, privilege and success as a race is built on the backs, blood and death of people of colour. Your entire existence is drenched in racism.”

Bergdorf also tweeted the suffragettes were “white supremacists who were fighting for WHITE women’s rights”, arguing they specifically left black people out of the movement.

Bergdorf had called gay Tory activists a “special kind of dickhead” and suggested white people had been conditioned to be racist.

Helen Grant MP who is the Conservative vice chair for Communities said "When Jeremy Corbyn was elected Labour leader, he promised a ‘kinder politics’. Yet it seems every day we see some new example of abuse from the Labour party. The kind of language Bergdorf has used has no place in public life, and ought to be condemned by all those who are serious about promoting equality.”

It seems Labour can turn a blind eye to 'some' hate speech. This follows the row about anti-semitism within the party. Will suspended Ken Livingstone who brought the party into disrepute will be back in the Labour Party fold before long? Insiders say he is likely to be readmitted.

Jalima1108 Tue 06-Mar-18 16:38:04

That's interesting Terribull, I don't go on MN but obviously I have thoughts in common with some of them.

Eloethan Tue 06-Mar-18 16:35:47

Having read Ms Berdorf's remark re "butch lezzies" and her attempt to make a joke about "gay bashing", I think she was not a wise choice and it is probably a good thing that she resigned.

As to the remarks about this appointment being illustrative of the "loony Left", I can think of several senior, and far more influential, appointments within the Conservative Party that do not exactly demonstrate a recognition of the need for integrity and diplomacy - for instance:

Liam Fox (now Secretary of State for International
Trade)

who had to resign in disgrace for allowing his friend and best man Adam Werritty to act as his unofficial and undeclared adviser, attending meetings at the Ministry of Defence and expenses-paid trips to meet foreign dignatories without getting the necessary security clearance.

Boris Johnson (now Foreign Secretary) who:

was forced to apologize to the people of Papua New Guinea after writing in 2006 in the Telegraph: “For 10 years we in the Tory party have become used to Papua New Guinea-style orgies of cannibalism and chief-killing.."

in 2002 wrote "the Queen has come to love the Commonwealth, partly because it supplies her with regular cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies .."

who described Obama as " a “part-Kenyan” with an "“ancestral dislike” of Britain."

who, when referring to the Hillsborough tragedy, said Liverpudlians were " wallowing in their “victim status,”

who had to apologise for his remarks when visiting a Sikh temple when he expressed his enthusiasm for whisky and said “Whenever we go to India, to Mumbai or to Delhi, we have to bring ‘clinkie’ in our luggage."

Ben Bradley (Conservative Party Vice Chairman)

who once suggested that unemployed men should get vasectomies.

TerriBull Tue 06-Mar-18 16:34:15

"Could have their own particular agenda to push rather than a broader range of issues" that seems to be the general consensus on MN regarding the appointment of Women's Officer, Lily Madigan, who it seems has scant interest in women per se, but plenty to say about herself and trans women generally.

Anniebach Tue 06-Mar-18 16:33:35

Well , because of her I have learned the suffragettes were racist and Willberforce was a hypocrite ,

lemongrove Tue 06-Mar-18 16:24:23

Hopefully that is the last we will hear of her pronouncements, as she has resigned ( did she go or was she pushed?)

Jalima1108 Tue 06-Mar-18 16:20:50

I understand that it wasn't a paid position. Could it be that anyone applying for it could have their own particular agenda to push rather than a broader range of issues?

Anniebach Tue 06-Mar-18 16:18:15

Wonder is she applied for the job or was she head hunted?

Jalima1108 Tue 06-Mar-18 16:15:47

She would have come to the role with pre-conceived ideas and prejudices and was not the right person to advise a Shadow Minister on such sensitive issues. Such an adviser needs to have a far wider understanding in order to help and not hinder or in fact be a distraction from the purpose of the role.
Instead of the issues involved being the news she became the news because of her past utterances.

Day6 Tue 06-Mar-18 15:46:51

If Labour want the label 'Loony Left' as a prefix they are going the right way about it.

The Bergdorf appointment was a very bad one given his/her history.

The Times unearthed homophopbic remarks on her Twitter account. Why on earth did Labour want to associate with her after her string of homophobic comments?

They included telling a friend: "How's your barren womb? We all know your little secret … hairy lesbian!"

She also criticised a singer on television, saying: "You have to admit she did look like a butch LEZZA tho."

The DJ from London wrote that a character on the American TV show Glee was so "annoying" that: "Even I'd like to gay bash him!"

Labour, in wanting to be so politically correct, has shown its judgement to be extremely unsound and potentially dangerous in associating with Bergdorf.

TerriBull Tue 06-Mar-18 15:45:54

As the individual concerned was once called Ian, I'm assuming the name "Monroe Bergdorf" is a pseudonym, It's just that Bergdorf sounds Germanic or Dutch to me, the indigenous people of those countries tend to be white and therefore by definition "their entire existence will be drenched in racism" With that in mind I'd have thought Ian would have preferred a name that doesn't have such an Anglo Saxon ring to it confused or is it all about effect.

Anniebach Tue 06-Mar-18 11:48:44

An unwise choice ,

POGS Tue 06-Mar-18 11:42:20

Bergdorf has resigned from the position.

No doubt now the debate will viewed in two ways.

Bergdorf will either be a hero for speaking up and a victim. It will be all the fault of the right wing press , albeit it was a story covered by left and right and even Labour Party MP's spoke against the decision to give her the position.

OR

Bergdorf will be seen to have abeen an unwise choice in the first place because of an obvious biased opinion and ironically verging close to being what she declares the white race to be.

You pays yer money you takes yer pick.

durhamjen Mon 05-Mar-18 10:53:52

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/04/max-mosley-racism-youth-offensive-views

Another interesting article about how we perceive race historically.

durhamjen Mon 05-Mar-18 10:45:19

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/04/employers-gender-pay-gap-race-ethnic-minority

Anniebach Mon 05-Mar-18 09:52:22

So Corbyn isn't perfect ?

durhamjen Mon 05-Mar-18 09:41:20

And as Wilberforce himself said, "You may choose to look the other way but you can never say again that you did not know."
I'm drinking my coffee out of a mug that says that.

durhamjen Mon 05-Mar-18 09:38:17

I don't mind knowing that these people that we hold up as paragons are human after all.
It makes it all the more remarkable that they did what they did against the odds.

There's a Wilberforce College in Hull. There is also a Perronet Thompson school.
He was a lieutenant in the Navy, and then became governor of Sierra Leone. He discovered that the Sierra Leone company was still keeping slaves and trading in them years after the first abolition law.
Wilberforce was a director of the company. He got Perronet Thompson sacked before he could say anything.
The difference is that there were just several hundred slaves being traded in Freetown, but 40,000 a year had been shipped to the Americas before then.
Was it an acceptable compromise?
Maybe Perronet Thompson was just as shocked to find out that Wilberforce wasn't the hero he thought he was.

TerriBull Mon 05-Mar-18 09:15:53

*were taken from those areas

TerriBull Mon 05-Mar-18 09:14:52

Regarding the slave trade, it was of course a repugnant part of our colonial history. It wasn't only a preserve of white Europeans though, there were Arab ships that raided the coasts of the west country, Devon and Cornwall and parts of northern France, people from those areas to slave markets in North Africa to be sold. However, the past cannot be changed what is truly appalling is that we now have more modern day slaves than there ever were in those "dog eat dog" days.

Anniebach Mon 05-Mar-18 08:34:44

So the suffragettes were racist, Willberforce had feet of clay, who next ? Dr King ,

Eloethan Mon 05-Mar-18 00:57:40

POGS I said I can understand why some black people are of the opinion that all white people are racist. It seems a rather extreme statement but often those that refute it do so in terms that tend to confirm it - denying (despite a great deal of evidence) that there is discrimination in our justice system, in education, housing and in employment and suggesting that people who make these claims are "over-sensitive" or have "a chip on their shoulder".

That is not to say that there aren't other discriminatory "isms". I think most people (though not all) accept that there is also sexism in our society. "Classism" exists too but is rarely talked about. But at the moment we are talking about racism and there is no denying that the extremely cruel treatment and exploitation of black people by white people throughout the centuries has caused pain and impoverishment to millions of people.

Until, I believe, a couple of years ago the British government was still paying "compensation" to the families of former slave traders - not to the people they enslaved. This is like continuing to accept for 182 years that slavery was a morally acceptable, respectable and legitimate trade rather than a shameful crime against humanity.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britains-colonial-shame-slave-owners-given-huge-payouts-after-abolition-8508358.html

www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/taxpayers-bristol-were-still-paying-1205049

durhamjen Sun 04-Mar-18 23:57:28

Wilberforce was a born-again Christian, before the phrase was known about. He was a good friend of both Wesleys.
He was born into a well-to-do family, and thought that being an MP was his right.
Then, when he decided that the slave trade was wrong, he decided that he ought to give up being an MP and fight for abolition in other ways.
He was persuaded that he would do more for abolition if he stayed in parliament.
However, he was only interested in banning the slave trade, not slavery, for at least 25 years after the abolition bill was brought in in 1807.
There is some interesting information about Wilberforce and Sierra Leone.

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Mar-18 23:21:30

It is, but it's a long way to go, Hull.
I doubt I'll get there again, but we would have stayed longer had we known.

durhamjen Sun 04-Mar-18 22:39:21

Perhaps you ought to go to his museum, Annie, and find out all about him. Quite fascinating, it is.

Anniebach Sun 04-Mar-18 22:32:31

Even Willberforce is condemned in defence of a new Corbynite