Gransnet forums

News & politics

Vince Cable on Brexit today

(39 Posts)
mostlyharmless Sun 11-Mar-18 21:17:55

Was Vince Cable just stirring up trouble today? He blames the Brexit vote on nostalgic over 65s.

BBC news: The Lib Dem leader went to say too many older voters were driven by "nostalgia for a world where passports were blue, faces were white and the map was coloured imperial pink".
"And it was their votes on one wet day in June which crushed the hopes and aspirations of young people for years to come," he said.

It seems an unfair stereotyping to me.
What do Gransnetters think?

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:26:27

Good post M0nica

I don't understand the lack of enthusiasm demonstrated by many young people for voting, particularly as they seem to be made much more aware these days of politics, the environment etc than we were when I was young.

Most people my age seemed very keen to go out and vote for the first time and have done so every since whereas many young people seem to display a lethargy or uninterest towards politics.

I must say that all the 18 - 30 year olds in my family did vote in the referendum as far as I know. Unless they told us I wouldn't ask how they voted.

jura2 Tue 13-Mar-18 14:07:16

Our youngest, 42, did NOT vote - I have never really discussed this with her, but I find that very difficult to fathom. Her comment was 'what difference does it make' ...

Surely with such a close result, she must realise now that it could have made ALL the difference.

PamelaJ1 Tue 13-Mar-18 16:35:56

Neither did mine Jura. she said she didn’t know what she thought so she wouldn’t bother.
She won’t give blood either, just shrugs when I ask her if she’d refuse a transfusion if she needed one.
How did I get her?

sodapop Tue 13-Mar-18 17:22:12

Totally agree with you Eleothan 're Vince Cable. I was hoping for great things from him but he has been a complete washout.

petra Tue 13-Mar-18 17:26:12

It was one of the few times my daughter has voted.
She asked a lot of questions, listened to a lot stuff and then decided.

winterwhite Tue 13-Mar-18 18:03:29

I thought it a poor that the only attention the press paid (that I saw) to the whole Lib Dem Spring Conference last weekend was emphasising one badly worded comment of Vince Cable’s. It’s the same with all Lib Dem conferences whoever is leader. And that’s a pity.
I disagree with VC’s stance over older voters, but as for the comment itself, I just took it to be a silly way of saying that immigration was an important issue for many Leave voters.

mostlyharmless Tue 13-Mar-18 18:19:29

This is the full speech winterwhite or anyone else who wants to read it. Quite outspoken (perhaps too outspoken in several areas) but interesting. (I’m not really trying to promote the Libdems).

www.libdemvoice.org/in-full-vince-cables-speech-to-conference-56902.html

M0nica Wed 14-Mar-18 06:46:36

This is not the first time VC has attacked or disparaged older people. He published an article last July in the DM blaming us for Brexit.

As a long standing member of the Libs/Lib Dems, almost exactly his age (within a few months) and also an economist I wrote to him critiquing what he had written.

I am still awaiting a reply.

NfkDumpling Wed 14-Mar-18 07:02:29

I used to respect Vince Cable but he's sounding increasingly like a desperate old man trying to hang on to the influence he once had by trying to identify with the younger voter.

M0nica Wed 14-Mar-18 10:46:00

He is 75, damning older people for voting against the interests of the young - and trying to identify with the younger voter? confused

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Mar-18 10:53:02

Down wiv da kidz?

If he alienates the older voters the Lib Dems may find themselves truly in the wilderness.
When discussing who to vote for before the last GE, younger voters looked at me bemused when I suggested looking at the Lib Dems.

Griselda Wed 14-Mar-18 10:56:27

I took it that he doesn't want the over 65's voting for him.

M0nica Thu 15-Mar-18 16:36:55

He needs to realise how many of his party members are over 65