Gransnet forums

News & politics

So there will be NO border checks in Dover and Tunnel?

(78 Posts)
jura2 Sun 18-Mar-18 09:57:58

Grayling stated clearly on Question Time that the UK has no intention to have any border checks in Dover or Tunnel as it would not be physically possible to do so and would create queues.

No checks for people, cattle, beasts, puppy farmed dog, drugs, illegal and dangerous substances - oh and all the illegal immigrants waiting to cross in Calais.

Could any of our Brexiter friends here on GN please explain, to a simple soul like me- how it makes sense and allows us 'to take back control'. Please- as I just don't get it.

POGS Sun 18-Mar-18 11:22:51

Jura I hope you find your answer but I have to ask -

How many threads will you ask this question on ?

As this is a thread started because the question is not being responded to on another thread perhaps posters simply do not wish to engage in the question.

Perhaps posters simply are excluded from replying because your question is addressed to only one group of people to answer 'Brexiteers' .

Perhaps some posters have not answered this question on another thread because they feel the EU Referendum Result is so toxic a subject they no longer engage with other posters who will persistently challenge other posters opinions/view if it does not suit their opinion/view.

Perhaps some most posters just might perceive your OP asking for Brexiteer GN'ers to respond as throwing down the gauntlet so to speak , as with the same question on the other thread.

winterwhite Sun 18-Mar-18 11:43:29

I think the OP legitimate since it’s on a specific point and asking for clarification. Remainers aren’t likely to have the answers, so fair to address it to Leavers. I’d like to hear their answers too. Those who don’t want to engage with it need not do so.
In fact I think it better on various topics to have separate specific discussions than long general ones rambling on for pages.

Welshwife Sun 18-Mar-18 11:52:08

Mairaid McGuiness didn’t seem to think that idea would work at all.
I am just as interested in what they think will happen to goods from the U.K. arriving in EU ports - the EU have stated how they will be goods from a 3rd country. Will the U.K. be allowing everything in tariffs free but quite possibly pay on everything sent to the EU? Lots of questions need to be answered.

whitewave Sun 18-Mar-18 12:02:55

Grayling is probably one of the dimwits, of which there are quite a few in this government.

So no border checks eh?

Result

Illegal immigrants
Illegal substances, other than drugs
Illegal movement of animals
Illegal entry of banned animal products like ivory etc
Illegal entry of armaments
Illegal entry of goods bearing various duties
Illegal entry of goods bearing tax
Illegal entry of foods not fit for human consumption

I could go on and on

Yet another loose cannon who hasn’t got a clue

MaizieD Sun 18-Mar-18 12:17:54

As this is a thread started because the question is not being responded to on another thread perhaps posters simply do not wish to engage in the question.

If this is so, POGS then it is very worrying.

For some information, jura it might be worth having a look at these two posts from the charmless, but usually well informed, arch Leaver, Richard North:

www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86801

www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86802

You have to dig a bit in them for the information but basically he says it's ridiculous and impossible nonsense.

And that if the negotiators and the 'authorities don't get their fingers out a bit sharpish, we will find our exports to the EU being stopped or impounded at the border because we will not be 'approved and listed for export' to the EU...

So that'll be fun, won't it? We let everything through without a check and the EU lets nothing of ours in...

Welshwife Sun 18-Mar-18 12:23:18

It is like one of Baldrick’s cunning plans except it isn’t funny.

whitewave Sun 18-Mar-18 12:32:28

Oh we have been assured that there will be no lorry queues at Dover.

They had better get their finger out, as nothing has been done about the infrastructure yet, and I can’t think why they are wasting so much money in turning the third lane of the M20 into a massive lorry park.

Someone’s telling porkies aren’t they?

jura2 Sun 18-Mar-18 12:39:27

POGS- it is a fair point. But it was mentioned that some people do not read a thread directly linked to Brexit- so thought, as winterwhite says- it was good to put in a separate thread- which is more likely to engage comments from a more varied range of posters.

Gerispringer Sun 18-Mar-18 12:55:01

So we are spending billions, wasting so much government time just to keep the status quo? Seems like we are heading for BINO( Brexit in name only)

jura2 Sun 18-Mar-18 13:20:48

Re border checks- it is definitely NOT the status quo.

At the moment, as a member of the EU, we have strict border checks at Calais, for both Tunnel and Ferry Port. You have to go through checks twice, by the French and by the British Customs- before boarding. The infrastructure around both Tunnel access and Ferry Port access- is massive, very high fences, razor wire galore, and constant Police and CRS (armed SAS type police) 24/7 - stopping illegal migrants froms accessing either, and with PET passport checks- checks for import/export of food, substances, meat, live or otherwise, etc, etc.

They check cars randomly for illegal substances, possible drugs or terrorist linked substances, etc, 24/7- day in, day out.

All that will go post Brexit, unless with pay masses of money for this service - and there is physically no space, nor infrastructure in Kent for it to happen on our side.

And of course, we may choose to do no checks for stuff, people and beasts coming to us as imports - but the French will be totally withing their right to step up checks for anything and anyone coming from UK- people (be they tourists or business, hauliers, etc, etc). I really could NOT blame the French for going on go slow and extra checks. They have done it before, with very unplesant circumstances.

lemongrove Sun 18-Mar-18 13:28:14

Exactly POGS
I think posters just can’t be bothered with another rant about Brexit.Why should leavers on GN have answers that remainers on GN don’t have?
Speaking personally I have no knowledge of the intimate details of border controls so leave it to those that do, and that are in a position of power to get things done.We did have somebody on GN not long ago ( a man) who had experience of them and thought it wouldn’t be a problem the way that borders are managed in a techy way, but he soon got shouted down by those who knew nothing at all.

whitewave Sun 18-Mar-18 13:30:07

How do you know that I know nothing about the subject lemon?

lemongrove Sun 18-Mar-18 13:36:09

Why, were you one of those who shouted him down?

Welshwife Sun 18-Mar-18 13:39:29

All the techy people I have seen interviewed about the subject of border crossings - whether on the island of Ireland or between U.K. and France - say that no systems are developed enough to be able to cope with the borders seamlessly.

whitewave Sun 18-Mar-18 13:40:47

I don’t remember the chap tbh. But if he said that the tech border was a possibility then yes he was/is wrong, and that is a fact.

lemongrove Sun 18-Mar-18 13:44:42

That wasn’t all he said, but it was part of it.He didn’t stay around long and am not surprised.The tech side will become more and more developed as time goes on.
I strongly suspect this is another thread where posters do not want to see positive answers mooted.

whitewave Sun 18-Mar-18 13:52:39

He didn’t stay long because he was probably being challenged in his assertions, and if he was saying what you suggested then I’m not surprised he left in a hurry as he was wrong.

Of course the border-less control will perhaps eventually be developed, but it is so far off as to be out of sight.

Nothing would be more welcome as far as I am concerned to see something positive, but there isn’t a single Brexit voter on GN that can come up with something positive.

It is utter lunacy

Mamie Sun 18-Mar-18 14:46:11

It is the free movement of goods that will cause the delays as checks will be required that are not needed in the single market. The delays for lorries and goods will be horrendous outside the SM/CU.
There is no way that a technological solution could be developed in the time. Anyone who knows anything about the roll-out of major IT projects knows that.
The juxtaposed border controls at Calais are a much smaller issue imo. Yes, it will slow things down for cars and their passengers but it will have to revert to the way it is currently done at the other channel ports. French checks on the French side, UK checks on the UK side.

winterwhite Sun 18-Mar-18 14:47:48

But ‘as time goes on’ is a large part of the problem. Questions about managing border control were being asked during the referendum debate. There should be answers by now.

MaizieD Sun 18-Mar-18 15:56:10

Leaving the EU's customs union means a hard border will be very difficult to avoid, and experts speaking to Business Insider cast doubt on the idea that a workable solution currently even exists.

"If the UK leaves the EU single market and customs union, you're going to have friction. It's a case of trying to minimise that friction," said Dr Katy Hayward, an academic whose work on the Irish border has been cited by the EU's deputy chief Brexit negotiator Sabine Weyand. "A 'frictionless border' is an oxymoron."

The UK says checks can be avoided, insisting there will be no infrastructure of any kind at the border. Theresa ^May has proposed either a "customs partnership" with the EU or a "highly streamlined customs arrangement" which would use technological solutions to "minimise frictions to trade."

But Hayward said technological solutions would not remove the need for checks at the border.

"The emphasis upon technological solutions is almost a category error, because technology is a tool, not a solution," she said.

uk.businessinsider.com/theresa-may-brexit-plan-avoid-hard-border-irish-ireland-probably-impossible-2018-3?r=US&IR=T

I really think I prefer an expert opinion to that of a bloke who pops onto Gnet

Mamie Sun 18-Mar-18 16:11:13

Agreed Maizie.
I doubt that Grayling meant getting rid of the current customs and security checks (juxtaposed or not), I think he was talking about not implementing the checks on goods that will be needed out of the SM/CU.
He really should read Richard North.

jura2 Sun 18-Mar-18 18:30:26

Lemon - he was not shouted down at all- but people explained clearly that plate recognition technology can check that vehicles are legit - but not the contents- whatever it is, human, beast, or any substances. How could it?

'Why should leavers on GN have answers that remainers on GN don’t have?'

could it be because, as plain as can be- there is none.

jura2 Sun 18-Mar-18 18:41:28

Did any of the leavers who stated, many times- that they knew exactly what they were voting for- ever imagine that taking back control of immigration would mean 'no border checks'?

As said, the Calais migrants must all be on their mobile phones to their family and friends to get ready.

lemongrove Sun 18-Mar-18 19:26:41

The poster you are talking about jura had worked in the customs services all his life, and wrote some excellent posts that nobody wanted to engage with because they didn’t fit in with the ‘OMG we are going to Hell in a handcart’ type of posts.
If that is all you wish to continue, no point me writing more.Enjoy!