Primrose65 Mon 19-Mar-18 09:53:54

A thread for all Corbyn lovers & haters

Primrose65 Wed 28-Mar-18 17:19:13

Accurage grin grin

Accurate, of course!

GracesGranMK2 Wed 28-Mar-18 17:23:16

the average age of a Conservative Party member is 72
The Bow Group*, 5 October 2017

It's apparently difficult to get any figures from the Conservative Party themselves but The Bow Group said these figures were based upon reports from senior members of the voluntary party and reports from a wide array of local associations. They reported That work suggested that the figure of 71.5 may now be plausible especially given the abolition of the Party's youth wing in the interceding period.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 28-Mar-18 17:23:41

*Conservative think tank

Grandad1943 Wed 28-Mar-18 17:25:33

Quote [Primrose65

GrandadI'm afraid the data doesn't support that view at all. There have been academic studies of 'who has joined since Corbyn became leader'. They are middle class and middle age people. 78% are ABC1's, against an existing membership base of 70% ABC1's and they have an average age of 51.

Labour members are quite solidly middle class and middle-aged!] End Quote

Primrose, with every respect, but I made no reference to the age of the Labour partys new members or their academic status in my last posting, for in that I totally agree with your above analysis.

However, in Britains "modern economy" even those coming from "middle Britain" can find themselves in the position I outlined in that post especially if they live in the more deprived areas of Britain.

Poor employment and poor housing has no respect for your past status in society. Indeed, if you are someone who has reasonable grades in education, but still find you cannot get good well paid employment or a start on the housing ladder, then that undoubtedly may well set you on the path of looking at radical solutions.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 28-Mar-18 17:25:38

I used the Fullfact figure, as I think it's more likely to be an accurage guestimate.

It's so good that Fullfact puts out all the information it has gathered. The quotes above came from their too.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 28-Mar-18 17:26:46

their there

Primrose65 Wed 28-Mar-18 17:35:36

Grandad I agree - poverty has no respect for anyone at all. I must have jumped to conclusions about your post that you were not making, thanks for clarifying it.

GG - I'll stick with the academics, who have verifiable studies. You're free to stick with whoever you want.

Primrose65 Wed 28-Mar-18 17:38:07

Article in the Spectator - they believe that May wants to keep Corbyn in his position as "She now regards him as an electoral liability who needs to be preserved."

I must admit, he did look tired and without any oomph at PMQs today.

blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/03/mays-pmqs-attitude-should-worry-corbyn/

durhamjen Wed 28-Mar-18 17:45:30

Probably because he has been busy trying to sort this out.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/eremy-corbyn-plans-in-house-lawyer-in-anti-semitism-crackdown-on-70-unresolved-claims-of-abuse-jennie-formby-first-priority-nec-delays-working-group_uk_5abb32d5e4b03e2a5c77477d?utm_hp_ref=uk-politics

When will May do anything similar for her party?

Primrose65 Wed 28-Mar-18 18:03:29

There's a pretty sorry account of what has been happening to people - Labour Party councillors - when they actually try and report anti-semitism. They, the people who try and report it, are shunned and smeared.

www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2018/03/we-tried-call-out-anti-semitism-our-local-labour-party-we-felt-ignored

That HuffPost article is damning on Corbyn, Jen. It basically says Corbyn's office is the problem!

"“The Leader’s office are a bigger road block because reports into some of the more controversial characters are delayed, there are all sorts of delaying tactics used and always an attempt to vote down recommendations to refer cases to the NCC for investigation. That’s the real problem.

An in-house lawyer would help sort that. But if Jeremy had wanted to implement Chakrabarti fully, lawyer and all, it would have happened by now

What’s been lacking is the political will from the leadership and the NEC Disputes Panel. It doesn’t matter what process are in place if the Disputes Panel sits around arguing that the word ‘Zio’, for example, needs to be placed ‘in context’. ”

Grandad1943 Wed 28-Mar-18 18:36:23

Quote [Primrose65

Article in the Spectator - they believe that May wants to keep Corbyn in his position as "She now regards him as an electoral liability who needs to be preserved."

I must admit, he did look tired and without any oomph at PMQs today.] End Quote

In the above Primrose, it may well be that Theresa May is about to make the same mistake for the second time. The Conservatives had a twenty point lead over Labour in the early months of 2017. That statistic encouraged Theresa May to go for the snap election in a bid to gain a large overall majority in the House of Commons and wipe out the Labour party.

However, it was during that election campaign that Corbyn demonstrated his great election "street fighter" capabilities and the rest is now history. Corbyn has never been a good parliamentary speaker, therefore I would be very cautious if I were on those Conservative benches as history has an awful habit of repeating itself.

Jeremy Corbyn was at his best in that old fashioned election street campaign the Labour party embarked on, it most certainly could be repeated.

durhamjen Wed 28-Mar-18 18:42:05

Did you not notice that he's trying to do something about it, primrose?
No, of course you didn't.
For all his bluster and shouting John Mann can only find 130 people who should be investigated for antisemitism in the labour party.
Out of how many members?

petra Wed 28-Mar-18 18:50:23

Theresa and the Tories became complacent before and during the 2017 election campaign. I don't think she/they will make the same mistake again.

Anniebach Wed 28-Mar-18 18:51:53

He is trying to do something about it? Little choice after having to apologise several times in a few days.

Anniebach Wed 28-Mar-18 18:55:17

If there is to be an in-house lawyer will he become a Lord , keep Lady Shami company ?

Primrose65 Wed 28-Mar-18 18:56:35

Grandad That's very true. I'm not sure they will run the same sort of campaign for local elections though, local elections generally are more about local services rather than national issues. He might campaign locally though for candidates - it will be interesting to watch and see what he does.

Jen He's the leader of the party. He's done exactly what he wants to do about it to date. Which is to hinder investigations. Because that's what he wants. What he's doing now has been forced on him.

Grandad1943 Wed 28-Mar-18 19:06:25

Yes Primrose, I do not expect the Labour party to do well in the forthcoming council elections. However, my bet would be for a general election late this year due to problems in the Convertible party and also within the wider cross floor House of Commons over Brexit.

That election will be fought on a very different agenda to that which is being debated currently.

Grandad1943 Wed 28-Mar-18 19:13:52

Apologies, that should be "Conservative Party" in my above post

Primrose65 Wed 28-Mar-18 19:16:02

Well, Brexit is the big one, I think Grandad! I'm not so sure about Tory problems - May has been well supported internationally over Putin but I'm not sure if that will be enough. I don't think there will be a General Election this year and I'm happy to take your bet! grin I'll put my money on May lasting until after Brexit with a decision then to see if she needs to be replaced, depending on whether the terms are viewed as good or bad.

Primrose65 Wed 28-Mar-18 19:16:24

Grandad - I rather liked the Convertibles!

durhamjen Wed 28-Mar-18 19:17:22

Why do you assume an in-house lawyer will be a 'he', Annie?
A bit of a sexist remark.

trisher Wed 28-Mar-18 19:35:05

Day6. Do you really believe The Conservative Party now represents them. They want a national health service, good schools, nice neighbourhoods, decent affordable housing, the ability to progress for their efforts and to be taxed fairly
Do you not know Jeremy Hunt has written abut privatising the health service and his mates are waiting to cherry-pick services?
That the grammar schools so beloved by the Tories don't do as well as comprehensives and many schools are struggling financially?
That this government has built less houses than any since the 1920s?
That police numbers have been cut making more areas less safe.
You have posted exactly the reasons you shouldn't vote Tory

mostlyharmless Wed 28-Mar-18 19:37:48

Yes I do believe your doorstep experience Iam64.
You obviously live in a very different constituency to me.
This has actually turned into an interesting discussion now that we’ve stopped going round in circles (about anti-semitism and racism).
Britain is changing, People are living longer, fewer people have the lifelong security of the past with solid full-time jobs for life, good pensions and high home ownership. Brexit is a really divisive issue that crosses party lines.
There seems to be a move towards the better educated and the young voting left.
Who knows what the voting patterns will be in the future but the old middle class/working class stereotypes are changing rapidly.

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Mar-18 19:39:15

I keep reading that the average age of the LP members is 51
So do you think that is averaged out from much older traditional Labour voters and the very young, new enthusiastic LP members?

I'd be interested to know about the 25 - 45 year olds

Primrose65 Wed 28-Mar-18 19:41:47

John Woodcock is resigning the whip.
One off, or first of many?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion