Corbyn's Magnetism

(1001 Posts)
Primrose65 Mon 19-Mar-18 09:53:54

A thread for all Corbyn lovers & haters

Primrose65 Wed 28-Mar-18 21:23:56

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1246646-Corbyns-Elasticity

Next thread

durhamjen Wed 28-Mar-18 21:23:53

Anything wrong with these recommendations?

the introduction of a General Counsel position - previous heads of legal and compliance have, remarkably, rarely if ever been legally qualified
recognition that the rules must be applied according to the principles of natural justice
a limitation period of two years for a complaint to be made - no more dredging up of years-old issues to use against members
a time-limit for accusations to be dealt with
the right of the accused to details of an accusation and the identity of the accuser, barring an overriding reason to withhold the information
the removal from unelected officers and from the NEC of the right to impose 'administrative' or 'interim' suspension, with its transfer to the NCC under a 'presumption against' interim suspension unless there is an overriding reason for it
a time-limit of six months on any suspension of a branch or constituency party - some CLPs have been in 'special measures for as long as twenty-five years under the previous regime

the establishment of a qualified NCC Legal Panel, with a member of the Legal Panel to be allocated to each disciplinary case referred to the NCC

the attendance at all disciplinary hearings of a member of the Legal Panel.

a right of review, on procedural and proportionality grounds, for all members suspended or expelled

durhamjen Wed 28-Mar-18 21:20:54

I heard that the other two groups had refused to meet him.

Your criticisms seem very personal, Primrose. Are they?

durhamjen Wed 28-Mar-18 21:19:17

Why shouldn't he defend Jewish Voice for Labour?

Grandad1943 Wed 28-Mar-18 21:17:36

Quote [Primrose65

GrandadI'm sure she will stand at the next general election. I remember reading an article a few months ago about this, they even mentioned specific seats. I'll see if I can dig that out.

I think she's missed the boat as next leader. I don't think Corbyn will last to the next election.] End Quote

I agree with your above post Primrose. in my last post you to which you refer to, I should have stated "possible future leader" not "next" leader.

lemongrove Wed 28-Mar-18 21:16:16

He never seems to learn does he?

Primrose65 Wed 28-Mar-18 21:11:46

Oh dear.

Corbyn has done an interview. He's defended Jewish Voice for Labour, which is unlikely to go down well with JLC & Board of Deputies, who asked Corbyn today to engage with main (not fringe) Jewish groups. Said lots of things that are really going to upset people.

I can see this is going to get worse before it gets better. There's a lot here to suck up.

Day6 Wed 28-Mar-18 21:07:40

Jennie Formby, an ally of Corbyn of course. As reported earlier, Momentum's hard left push has succeeded.

The Guardian reported at the time of her appointment

"The membership, the trade unions and officials at Labour HQ – all will now be foursquare behind the leadership."

"And while some MPs remain sceptical – a few downright hostile – they have little hope in the short-to-medium term of shifting the balance of power within the party."

So it's Corbyn and the far left all the way for Labour in the foreseeable future and beyond. Labour moderates have to suck it up or look elsewhere for a political home.

Primrose65 Wed 28-Mar-18 21:00:39

Grandad I'm sure she will stand at the next general election. I remember reading an article a few months ago about this, they even mentioned specific seats. I'll see if I can dig that out.

I think she's missed the boat as next leader. I don't think Corbyn will last to the next election.

Grandad1943 Wed 28-Mar-18 20:57:34

It is also being stated that Jennie Formby is to maintain a role within the Unite Union. The forgoing probably means that they may well sponsor her for election to a parimentry seat if she is successful in her new role as General Secretary of the Labour party.

Possible next leader in the wings???

durhamjen Wed 28-Mar-18 20:44:52

Something else that Corbyn gets blamed for.

"The 2016 ‘Chakrabarti report’ into the Labour Party’s disciplinary rules and procedures, particularly with regard to religious or racial abuse including antisemitism, made a series of recommendations for rule and procedural changes.

In the almost two years since the report was published, Labour’s previous HQ regime implemented almost none of these. A change to the rule on behaviour was approved at last September’s Conference, but little else has changed – to the detriment of the party and its reputation.

Implementing the full recommendations of the report will be at or very near the top of Jennie Formby’s priorities."

Grandad1943 Wed 28-Mar-18 20:42:12

Quote [Jalima1108

I keep reading that the average age of the LP members is 51
So do you think that is averaged out from much older traditional Labour voters and the very young, new enthusiastic LP members?

I'd be interested to know about the 25 - 45 year olds] End Quote

Jalima, I believe that what is being forgotten in the debate on Labour Party growth is the role the leading Trade Union leaders have played in that development. The late Bob Crow as General Secretary of the RMT was the first trade unionist in recent times to expand on the importance of a political agenda in the Trade Union movement. Bob Crow advised widely that " not everything that employed people required could be accomplished by shop floor action no matter how powerful that may be.

Len McCluskey in his role as General Secretary of the Unite Union very much took up on what Bob Crow began and placed political organisers at all levels of that union and also launched the Community Branches which began with a political agenda at their core. The foregoing has once again taken the Unite membership to above one and a quarter million with many of those being encouraged to take up membership of the Labour Party to further the political aims of that union.

Other Unions as the GMB and UNISON have followed the Unite and RMT path of late, which has very much made up the huge growth in the Labour party and probably accounts for the average age of a member being fifty one.

In the above, the trade union movement now believes that whatever success or failure Jeremy Corbyn attains, the resilience at the grassroots it now has would quickly enable any ongoing "realinment" required in the Labour party.

durhamjen Wed 28-Mar-18 20:41:47

This is interesting, too.

"Three weeks ago, the 'Disputes Panel' of Labour's NEC confirmed its decision to conduct an urgent review of all the processes and procedures relating to antisemitism claims.

The key aim of this review is to ensure Labour's processes are quick and fair, so that complainants and those accused can see their case dealt with promptly and rely on a just outcome.

It will also be transparent, so that those accused know properly what they are accused of and have a chance to defend themselves adequately and in accordance with principles of natural justice."

They started doing a review three weeks ago, before this present furore started.
Is that why it has been brought up again - last chance to oust Corbyn for perceived antisemitism?

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Mar-18 20:41:23

Re the Guardian article and its quote from a quote by Jeremy Corbyn:
Don’t they know his mother was at the Battle of Cable Street?

Because one's mother took a particular viewpoint does not mean that one will necessarily take the same view - often quite the opposite in fact as posters on here have said and as political figures have stated too.

durhamjen Wed 28-Mar-18 20:38:51

For those who like to blame Corbyn for everything.

"Some critics have attempted to use this unsatisfactory situation to attack Jeremy Corbyn personally – and this has led to accusations that the Labour right is cynically exploiting an important issue for factional purposes.

The reality is that Jeremy Corbyn, under Labour rules, has no responsibility for disciplinary issues among members. The administration of disciplinary issues was the responsibility of the (then) right-dominated Labour HQ.

Now new General Secretary Jennie Formby, who formally starts in the role next week, will be the one responsible for reviewing and improving all aspects of Labour’s disciplinary procedures, including the handling of antisemitism and harassment allegations."

durhamjen Wed 28-Mar-18 20:17:22

Jalima, I think that yougov link shows us just how self-selecting yougov respondents are.
The last yougov article I saw was asking people if they thought those who took more in benefits than they paid in tax should have a vote.
How many does that disenfranchise? Particularly when you think that pensions are now counted as a benefit.

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Mar-18 20:13:34

Trajectory?

Primrose65 Wed 28-Mar-18 20:12:58

I think Elasticity is topical and suitably physics based grin

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Mar-18 20:08:04

Probability?

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Mar-18 20:07:25

Oh heck!
Flux?

Energy?
Elasticity?

Primrose65 Wed 28-Mar-18 19:50:24

Jalima It's time for you to unleash your superpower of naming skills for these threads again!

Primrose65 Wed 28-Mar-18 19:47:31

Ah, apparently he has clarified now saying he will discuss with constituents first. Non-story, as you were ....

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Mar-18 19:46:00

In the link it is interesting that 40% of those earning under £20,000 say they would vote Conservative and only 27% would vote Labour.

That is surprising.

Iam64 Wed 28-Mar-18 19:45:11

I've just read the Guardian article link, for which thanks Grumppa and Anniebach, who made the link work. Good article.

Interesting that GGMk2 says she won't read it and that no one else has commented on it.

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Mar-18 19:42:41

yougov.co.uk/news/2017/04/25/demographics-dividing-britain/

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion