Gransnet forums

News & politics

Elephants

(38 Posts)
durhamjen Wed 21-Mar-18 09:11:18

Trump has changed his mind yet again about hunting elephants.
He thinks it is okay to hunt and take tusks for trophies.
Having heard yesterday that the white rhino is going to be extinct soon as the last male has died, it makes me wonder if the elephant will be next on the list.

secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/trump_elephant_redux_loc_sig/?bkHcnjb&signup=1&cl=14127186773&v=104121&_checksum=07698861d2252f783997099e1f94aef250a96c97c4e1809fdb38e2006ad775e3

An avaaz campaign to stop him.

Tegan2 Wed 21-Mar-18 17:44:32

...I'm now thinking of Lobo and Ernest Seton.....

Elegran Wed 21-Mar-18 16:36:24

DJ I imagine that is next on Trump junior's list.

durhamjen Wed 21-Mar-18 16:32:43

A lovely story, mimiro.

mimiro Wed 21-Mar-18 16:19:20

thank you gillybib and tegan.

funny you mentioned white fang
rook(aka ragnarok) was pure white except for clown makeup on his eyes.
i have a gorgeous little english staffy now.my cousin brought her across the pond for me.shes a delight.
,but rook was super special.he helped my husband rehab from a traumatic brain injury and surgury.he knew to be gentle and knew when his alpha needed a steady back to help him walk.when i had a back injury he would step up and i would grab his harness and he would pull me to my feet.

on the silly side of my clown,when i bopped around the house to rock music he would follow and his head would bob up and down to the music.
he liked the songs from footloose and ac/dc/and zztop/grinhe would tow our babies across the house with a towel for a reins,he was raised by a manx cat(his very young mom abandoned him at 4 weeks.she was a trophy wolf for ndn and they didnot take care of her so she moved into my house very pregnant) and always gave way to any of the cats.he feared storms and the cats would cuddle with him when the thunder rolled.

durhamjen Wed 21-Mar-18 15:48:38

Does that mean it's okay to go and shoot southern white rhinos, then, Elegran?

gillybob Wed 21-Mar-18 15:40:09

How anyone could kill an animal for sport is beyond me.

Slight change of subject but my middle DGD is currently reading Pax by Jon Klassen . It's the story of a boy who adopts at fox and then is forced to return it to the wild. Talk about heart wrenching. She was reading it to me on Monday night with the tears tripping us up.

gillybob Wed 21-Mar-18 15:34:17

Oh that's the book I was trying to remember Tegan White Fang ! smile

Tegan2 Wed 21-Mar-18 15:03:50

mimiro; thank you for all you've done over the years. I adore wolves [think it goes back to reading The Call of the Wild and White Fang when I was a child].

Cherrytree59 Wed 21-Mar-18 15:00:51

Thank you dJ smile.

The world with out humans
Would be The Garden of Eden sunshine

Now trophy for the wall?
hmm...
What about the head of the Orange Lesser Spotted Numpty

gillybob Wed 21-Mar-18 14:58:30

Oh, I was determined not to be sad today mimiro and now the story of your wolf has brought a tear to my eye.

What a lovely story though. Thank you for sharing. smile

mimiro Wed 21-Mar-18 14:53:24

yes they call them canned hunts over here.have been doing them for decades.corraled and shot from helicopters.
anyone remember a movie called "bless the beasts and the children"?
my family has been involved in the wolf rescues since the 60s.indian friends and family in preservation of bear and the american bald eagle. all have come off the endangered list and are being slaughtered for nothing but egos.
having spent most of my 60 years with wolves. i can attest they are superior to humans, generally speaking.amazing parents and grandparents.love babies in general.and if for some reason cannot go back to the wild.create thier own family/pack out of whatever is around.
my nieces and children and grandchildren were all pack members to my wolf.
when he had to go,all the afore mentioned came to say goodbye.he was 14yrs old and had raised most of them from infantcy. i miss my boy.

gillybob Wed 21-Mar-18 14:39:35

whats with the waterbuffalo/

Erm? I believe Prince Harry was part of a shooting "gang" that shot and killed it for sport. The royal hypocrites do/did like shooting helpless animals.

Telly Wed 21-Mar-18 14:38:27

whitwave - I can only agree, there are hideous crimes that are committed against animals, unbearable when you consider that many are capable of a wide range of emotions and feelings. I wonder what future generations will make of us?

Elegran Wed 21-Mar-18 14:34:30

There's that other favourite of school fetes, too, where you can throw a wet sponge at a teacher's head sticking out through a hole in a screen. Not quite as satisfying as a cricket ball, though.

mimiro Wed 21-Mar-18 14:32:40

lump is an ignorant fuck.
whats with the waterbuffalo/
friends gran has one and she follows her around like a pup.
she makes cheese from the milk.

people all over the world use them for milk.meat and leather/but this is fucked.
all the years and tears to save the elephants,wolves and bears and this bull shit happens..

OldMeg Wed 21-Mar-18 14:21:17

Coconut shy has my vote. Pass me a cricket ball!

Elegran Wed 21-Mar-18 14:16:44

Could be useful for the coconut shy?

gillybob Wed 21-Mar-18 14:16:15

I wasn't sure if you were talking about The Trumps or the Royal family for a minute there Elegran and I was thinking.... blimey that's a bit harsh.

OldMeg Wed 21-Mar-18 14:10:51

You are joking Elegran who’d want that head on display. At least on TV I can turn over when he comes on.

OldMeg Wed 21-Mar-18 14:08:48

And yesterday Sudan had to be put down ?

Elegran Wed 21-Mar-18 13:46:19

Who rules the US of A? The gun lobbyists?

Elegran Wed 21-Mar-18 13:45:19

If someone tracked him and his family while they were sleeping and shot the lot of them the heads on the wall would make impressive trophies. Or even if they were awake.

Tegan2 Wed 21-Mar-18 13:39:00

...just found this, so I wasn't imagining it....

Tegan2 Wed 21-Mar-18 13:38:26

Hunters in Alaska can now track and kill hibernating bears thanks to a U.S. House and Senate resolution rolling back Obama-era regulations against the practice.
President Donald Trump signed the bill into law on Monday, which rolled back Alaska’s ban on killing the vulnerable bears, along with wolf cubs in dens. It also allows for hunters to target the animals from helicopter....

gillybob Wed 21-Mar-18 11:30:40

If it’s true then yes the man is a maniac . Not really any worse than our own royals
( who many of us look up to ) though .

He must’ve been so proud !