Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit and smart opposition

(51 Posts)
whitewave Mon 26-Mar-18 12:38:34

Hopefully Dunts article will be below this post.

varian Mon 04-Jun-18 14:55:38

The referendum was won on lies. Some folk were deluded into believing that "Brexit will be easy, and have no downsides " The brexiters assured them that-

"There will be no downside to Brexit, only a considerable upside" - David Davis 10 October 2016

"The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want" - Michael Gove 9 April 2016

"Getting out of the EU can be quick and easy – the UK holds most of the cards" - John Redwood July 17 2016

"The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history" - Liam Fox 20 July 2017

www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2018/mar/28/11-brexit-promises-leavers-quietly-dropped

Nearly two years on I find it astonishing that anyone, even the most poorly educated Daily Mail reader, could still believe any of these hollow promises.

varian Wed 16-May-18 13:15:31

If the brexiters are so confident of public support, why are they so afraid to let the people vote on "the deal"?

Allygran1 Wed 16-May-18 13:12:04

whitewall said "a little reminder that the will of the people has changed" link: pbs.twimg.com/media/DZxZBFUXcAAXuSn?format=jpg

yougove.co.uk March 26 2018 report:

The yougov question:
Does Britain still want to go ahead with Brexit?
Results:
While slightly more people now think Brexit was the wrong decision that’s not the same as people thinking it should be stopped. When asked what the government should do next, a majority of people still think they should continue with Brexit in some form.
Over four in ten
(43%) think they should continue on their current terms,
9% think they should proceed with a “softer” Brexit instead, 20% would like a fresh referendum
13% would like the government to just stop Brexit completely.
YouGove.com.

varian Wed 09-May-18 16:59:13

There are many pro-EU groups campaigning all around the country. There are national groups and groups in every political party (except UKIP and the BNP)

Welshwife Wed 09-May-18 16:44:30

Most of that is not reported in many papers and certainly not on BBC news!

Allygran1 Wed 09-May-18 16:42:57

What do is considered smart opposition to Brexit?

mostlyharmless Wed 18-Apr-18 13:18:02

Exactly welshwife.
And our MPs are supposed to act like responsible adults not like sheep following the herd, nobody knowing where they are going or why!

Welshwife Wed 18-Apr-18 13:03:25

It seems that whatever facts come to light the will of the people must still be followed however damaging it will be.

Reminds me of when you did something daft as a child and gave the excuse of - they told me to do it - and the adult said - and if they had told you to put your hand in the fire would you have done it?

varian Wed 18-Apr-18 12:16:05

Still waiting ? (thanks to the Brexit Arms thread on Mumsnet)

MaizieD Wed 18-Apr-18 09:38:11

I don't think they're listening, Varian. Fingers are firmly plugged into ears.

varian Wed 18-Apr-18 09:20:41

Each of the government’s four Brexit scenarios, including a bespoke deal, would leave Britain poorer and cost the taxpayer hundreds of millions of pounds each week, analysis has shown.

The study for the thinktank Global Future by Jonathan Portes, a professor of economics and public policy at King’s College, London, found that a bespoke deal, the government’s preferred option, would have a net negative fiscal impact of about £40bn a year.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/18/each-brexit-scenario-will-leave-britain-worse-off-study-finds

varian Mon 16-Apr-18 11:24:44

Lord Kerr, the legal expert who drafted Article 50 was asked to clarify whether the UK could still halt Brexit even if a date was set on the face of the EU withdrawal bill. He said-

“One should bear in mind that it is always possible at a later stage to decide that we want to do something different. At any stage we can change our minds if we want to, and if we did we know that our partners would actually be very pleased indeed.”

He added: “The Brexiters create the impression that is because of the way article 50 is written that having sent in a letter on 29 March 2017 we must leave automatically on 29 March 2019 at the latest. That is not true. It is misleading to suggest that a decision that we are taking autonomously in this country about the timing of our departure, we are required to take by a provision of EU treaty law.”

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/10/brexit-date-is-not-irreversible-says-man-who-wrote-article-50-lord-kerr

varian Mon 16-Apr-18 11:12:56

An anti-Brexit campaign demanding a referendum on the final deal before Britain leaves the EU was launched at a London rally on Sunday.

People's Vote, a cross-party coalition of MPs, businessmen and even Star Trek actor Sir Patrick Stewart, was unveiled in Camden, north London to over 1,200 people.

The launch attracted support from the Conservatives' Anna Soubry, Labour's Chuka Umuna, Liberal Democrat's Layla Moran and the Green Party's only MP Caroline Lucas.

www.irishnews.com/news/uknews/2018/04/16/news/anti-brexit-campaign-demanding-referendum-on-the-final-deal-launches-1305081/

varian Sun 15-Apr-18 16:46:59

This weekend huge anti-brexit demonstrations are going on all over the country. I wonder if that will be the lead item on BBC news???

www.iii.co.uk/alliance-news/1523786777587615000-3/uk-anti-brexit-groups-stage-largest-ever-day-of-protests

Baggs Fri 13-Apr-18 11:42:37

Apparently one farmer a week in England and Wales takes their own life. c/f @yellowwelliesuk

jura2 Thu 12-Apr-18 20:03:37

No Twitter for me- do not know where you get the time or the energy sad

Baggs Thu 12-Apr-18 18:16:18

So say the ones I follow on Twitter anyhow.

Baggs Thu 12-Apr-18 18:15:37

Small farmers are losers already. Most have to branch into additional ways of making money to support their families.

Caledonai14 Thu 12-Apr-18 17:47:08

Whitewave, I just saw your question now. In this part of Scotland, small farmers have been aware all along that they would be net losers under Brexit. From what I can see, any attempt to explain this to Brexiteers is dismissed as sour grapes ... all the harder to take as Scotland voted overwhelmingly to stay in the EU for the good reason that Scotland has by-and-large benefitted from being part of a peaceful, friendly, easy-to-reach union of 28 countries.

My friends in New Zealand say their farmers are delighted at the thought of all the lamb they will be able to swamp us with. Unfortunately, economies of scale mean they CAN produce it more cheaply, even with the distance costs.

Added to that is the Irish border situation which suits us fine as it is, but gives us serious concerns after Brexit - too much to go into here.

Most worrying is the answer of: We're leaving! Get over it." No matter how many reasonable doubts and questions we raise. It really does feel like being pushed over a cliff.

varian Thu 12-Apr-18 16:39:20

The European Movement UK is a grass-roots, independent, pro-European organisation, working to give a voice to those who believe that Britain’s future lies side by side with our European partners.

On Saturday 14th April the European Movement will hold its biggest ever Action Day in many locations in England , Scotland and Wales.

It will be interesting to see how much coverage (if any) this gets in the media.

www.europeanmovement.co.uk/action_days?utm_campaign=south_west_14th&utm_medium=email&utm_source=euromove

whitewave Wed 04-Apr-18 09:00:49

I wonder if the farmers were aware of this pre-referendum

pbs.twimg.com/media/DZ4ykmBXUAIASRp?format=jpg

whitewave Wed 04-Apr-18 08:57:16

I wouldn’t hold your breath on a good deal.

The Telegraph is reporting that there is absolute chaos in the government over any possible deal.

whitewave Wed 04-Apr-18 08:29:50

The Brexit committee is going to request that should the governments preferred option (whatever that is) not come to fruition that they have as a backup the Norway option.

Good all the responsibility with none of the influence.

Well done everyone

whitewave Tue 03-Apr-18 13:42:47

I believe companies are having to lay off staff in order to afford the cost of Brexit.

That won’t be believed either.

Welshwife Tue 03-Apr-18 13:39:27

Pirbright Laboratory will be losing its status as the EU reference Lab for foot and mouth - going to a Franco/ Belgian company.
How many more contracts need to go before people start to admit it was not just scaremongering but sensible predictions of the likeliest outcomes.