Gransnet forums

News & politics

So many promises broken since the campaign ...

(59 Posts)
jura2 Wed 28-Mar-18 16:12:37

www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2018/mar/28/11-brexit-promises-leavers-quietly-dropped?CMP=fb_gu

MaizieD Wed 28-Mar-18 21:46:36

I think that some Leavers are interpreting the articles that Remainers post, such as that above about the FTA's concerns, as evidence that we want Brexit to fail.

When the majority of experts in every field are telling us that Brexit will fail, because they know what they are talking about, what Remainers want is really immaterial.

durhamjen Wed 28-Mar-18 21:48:49

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/27/its-been-mad-dordogne-town-unexpected-brexit-boom

Some places in France doing well.

durhamjen Wed 28-Mar-18 23:51:08

A woman on Newsnight said that our fishermen can't fish where they want to because we are in the EU.
Other countries have borders as well. Where does she think they will be able to fish then that they can't fish now?

durhamjen Thu 29-Mar-18 08:12:20

Nice one here, for a government intent on reducing the number of immigrants.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/29/eu-parents-warned-children-need-papers-to-stay-in-uk-after-brexit

mostlyharmless Thu 29-Mar-18 10:35:07

Brexit is half Shakespearean tragedy, half Whitehall farce. From Infacts - so true.

durhamjen Thu 29-Mar-18 17:51:11

newsthump.com/2018/03/29/theresa-may-says-brexit-will-mean-more-money-for-nhs-in-classic-early-april-fools-day-ruse/

GillT57 Thu 29-Mar-18 17:59:34

It is noticeable now that when there is a roaming reporter doing a bit of vox pop and they go to a strongly Brexit area, there is no longer the fervent ' why can't we just leave now'......it is more of a ' well, it is going to be difficult, but probably worth it'. The fervour and enthusiasm is being replaced by what frankly sounds like disappointment and realization that the wonderful sunny uplands as we 'take back control ' are not quite so sunny. And I still haven't managed to hear from one brexit supporter either here or on GN just ONE thing which will be better after we leave. Sorry to pick at the scabs of old wounds, but this is getting nearer and headed and I am getting ever more concerned. Nobody is fighting my corner, and it is a bloody big corners with at least 48% of those who voted squeezed into it.

varian Thu 29-Mar-18 18:47:33

I noticed that last night Gill when Laura Kuennsberg assemble a group of "ordinary people " to comment on how brexit was going. How many were remainers????

varian Thu 29-Mar-18 18:49:07

Perhaps this post should have been on the BBC bias thread, The Brexit Broadcasting Corporation gets more and more outrageous.

Luckygirl Thu 29-Mar-18 18:54:33

The referendum was wrong from the start:

- in its question
- in its impetus and rationale
- in its principles
- in its execution
- in its absence of detailed impartial information for people

But how might we have stopped it happening? I do not know.

Bridgeit Thu 29-Mar-18 19:12:27

I don’t think it could be stopped, many people wanted to lance a boil of discontent about real & conflated issues . It should never had happened especially without the availability of substantial detailed facts & figures .

varian Thu 29-Mar-18 19:45:35

I agree Bridgeit

jura2 Thu 29-Mar-18 19:57:47

dj- what is so sad about 'those places' in France - is that they are full of Brits who live parrallel lives- not learning the language, not integrating, buying British food ordered on line and delivered by white vans on a weekly basis, with more white vans arriving with cheap imported UK white goods and kitchens fitted by illegal labour from UK cash in hand- etc. (not all- but too many) - some can't speak the language after years, decades even.

And then go on about immigrants in the UK doing - just that- but call themselves expats-.

varian Thu 29-Mar-18 20:00:12

During the EU referendum campaign I saw some expat Brits living in Spain being interviewed. They said they were going to vote Leave because when they went back to the UK they thought it had changed for the worse because there were far too many immigrants!!!

jura2 Thu 29-Mar-18 20:05:22

We were in St Foy, Eymet and Bergerac last Summer - and everyone was British with a few Americans. From converstations around us in Cafés and restaurants, mostly living there. As a native French speaker, I of course spoke French to the market traders- several replied, in English- that they didn't speak French.

jura2 Thu 29-Mar-18 20:09:24

Can't fathom, for the life of me - how anyone can go and live anywhere, for longer than a couple of years- and not speak the local language (not talking about grammatical precision or fancy vocab here - but basic communication).

OH was 63 when we moved here, and he is a scientist and his worst subject at school was French (the only O'Level he scraped with a C)- but he made sure he tried, and learnt- fast- out of respect. Mind you, very very few Brits here ;)

durhamjen Thu 29-Mar-18 20:28:07

Like you say, jura, they should learn the language out of respect.
Probably the same people who complain about immigrants not learning English when they move here.

jura2 Thu 29-Mar-18 20:34:46

Exactly- but they would never ever accept that their behaviour is just the same ... and they will insist- on calling themselves 'expats' and not 'immigrants'. Pot... kettle.

durhamjen Thu 29-Mar-18 21:37:23

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/28/border-exit-checks-records-of-600000-people-missing-watchdog-reveals

This is what happened with immigration when May was in charge of the home office.
No wonder she wanted to give up that poisoned chalice.

If she can't cope with the home office, how can she cope with the infinitely more complex Brexit?

Welshwife Thu 29-Mar-18 22:25:32

Those towns you mention have so many English speaking tourists in the summer - many have holiday homes here and lots of the hamlets are almost deserted after the summer.
I have not come across many market traders not speaking French unless they are selling crafts etc. Many of the British workmen around here are registered and have siret numbers so are registered and pay tax etc. Everybody I know uses registered workmen whether they are Brits or French. With many jobs if you use a registered artisan you can get a tax rebate on work which is deemed eco friendly - having a wood burner installed or insulating your house etc.
Eymet is very English in some ways which it was not when we bought our house - although we don’t live in Eymet. It was also a decrepit town - as were many in this part of Dordogne - it is the Brits who have renovated the houses and brought these towns back to life. These towns would die again if they were left to the indigenous population as there is little work about apart from various forms of agriculture or wine making which are all seasonal jobs.
People who are in the fiscal system and pay their taxes - or at least file an annual tax return - will find it much easier to remain living here in France than those living under the radar.
I cannot understand why they don’t all learn French - some classes are very basic but there are some good ones about but of course you get what you pay for. We also prepared ourselves by taking French lessons before moving here. The French appreciate it when you do try and speak their language and I have found that the best conversations are often when I speak my far from perfect French and the French person speaks a similar level of English!

durhamjen Thu 29-Mar-18 22:32:09

At least they will not be treated like people in the UK.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/28/government-terrorise-uk-residents-britain

durhamjen Thu 29-Mar-18 22:39:06

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/29/six-months-foil-brexit-vote-parliament-influence-mps

Welshwife Fri 30-Mar-18 07:40:40

Yes Jen it is disgusting the things they are doing to some people because the Home Office cannot get their act together. The whole of Europe knows how bad they are - it was mentioned in the EU Parliament the other day.

Welshwife Fri 30-Mar-18 07:44:14

I should have said in my earlier post that also the Sw of France was not helped by the fact they were in Vichy France and considered to be collaborators and had no Govt money for 50 years and so naturally much of the infrastructure went into disrepair. In the 90s they got funding again and places started to blossom and their tourist industry boomed.

durhamjen Fri 30-Mar-18 13:04:17

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/forced-deportation_uk_5abcd2bae4b04a59a314f04e

So much for human rights. No wonder they don't want us to have any.