Gransnet forums

News & politics

So many promises broken since the campaign ...

(59 Posts)
jura2 Wed 28-Mar-18 16:12:37

www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2018/mar/28/11-brexit-promises-leavers-quietly-dropped?CMP=fb_gu

durhamjen Sun 01-Apr-18 19:53:12

twitter.com/EPinUK

Passports.

varian Mon 02-Apr-18 11:15:29

It is utterly fraudulent for the brexiters to try to depict themselves as patriots. The real British patriots are those who want to protect our country's future, not just by hoping for a soft brexit, which inflicts the least harm, but by continuing to argue that we should reamain members of the EU.

As Ian Birrell writes in the "i" -
"Britain is carrying out an act of gratuitous self-harm that weakens our economy and global standing. It seems even sillier in a world of rising nationalism, populism and protectionism."

inews.co.uk/opinion/brexit-terms-leave-date-slogan-promises-campaign/

Luckygirl Mon 02-Apr-18 11:18:02

I never think election promises will be kept, whether it is a general election or a referendum.

MaizieD Mon 02-Apr-18 11:23:45

and global standing.

It's this that interests me. We have all the Leavers assuring us that they knew it was going to be financially 'a bit difficult to start with' (which is strange because I don't recall the Leave campaigners mentioning that bit) but did they know that the UK was going to become an international laughing stock and shrug that off too as being worth it to be free of the vile EU?

MaizieD Mon 02-Apr-18 11:30:35

If you don't think election or referendum 'promises' will be kept, luckygirl what do you base your vote on?

I'm not saying that I implicitly believe everything that is said in a GE campaign but if something is in a party's manifesto they can be held to account on it (or used to be, before our parliamentary democracy went all haywire as it has in the last couple of years)

varian Mon 02-Apr-18 11:33:39

Tom Brake MP, LibDem brexit spokesman, points out that -

"Last year Liam Fox was blithely promising that the Government would be able to roll over 40 EU trade deals ‘the second after midnight’ after Brexit but now he’s reduced to ‘hoping’ other countries will agree to his plan. So much for taking back control.

By recklessly dragging the UK out of the Single Market and the Customs Union, the Government is not only putting up barriers to trade with our largest partner but with 70 other countries around the world as well.

As it becomes clearer that the cost of Brexit is the loss of our existing trade deals, everyone is entitled to judge whether the Brexit that was promised is the one that was delivered and to keep an open mind about whether it’s the right path for the country.”

www.open-britain.co.uk/brake_liam_fox_hopes_he_can_roll_over_eu_trade_deals_so_much_for_taking_back_control

Welshwife Mon 02-Apr-18 11:42:02

I read a report this morning that Australia are going to insist that the U.K. accepts hormone fed beef as part of a trade deal. The hormone in question was banned by the EU in the early 80s as it is thought to be cancer inducing. If the U.K. agrees to this it will it seems cause British beef to be banned from the EU - so another market closed.

varian Mon 02-Apr-18 14:49:26

It is time that Remainers were listened to. We are the people who had the good sense to see that leaving the EU would damage the country and we do not have to just accept that it is inevitable. The referendum was flawed in many ways, and only advisory. Article 50 can be revoked.

Most Labour voters, Liberal Democrat voters, Green Party voters and SNP voters voted to Remain - and so did many Conservatives.

Writing in "Conservative Home" ex-army officer Nicholas Mezzei points out that-

"Brexit is now only a year away, and many Remainers will do what they can to keep the UK in the EU, or at least to minimise the damage to the relationship. ....;.l a poll by Survation in March showed that 42.7 per cent of Conservatives who supported Theresa May to be party leader wanted a referendum on the deal, compared to 34.6 per cent who didn’t. The same poll suggests most Conservative Londoners want a second vote, too. Brexiteers shouldn’t be dismissing these people; they should include them, and deliver a Brexit that recognises that nearly half the country voted to Remain. They should look at the very serious accusations of unfair practice, and address them as they would allegations against the Remain campaign."

www.conservativehome.com/platform/2018/04/nicholas-mazzei-why-its-unfair-to-tell-us-diehard-remoaners-to-get-over-it.html