Gransnet forums

News & politics

So many promises broken since the campaign ...

(58 Posts)
jura2 Wed 28-Mar-18 16:12:37

www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2018/mar/28/11-brexit-promises-leavers-quietly-dropped?CMP=fb_gu

GracesGranMK2 Wed 28-Mar-18 16:17:34

I wonder if people really thought those promises were going to come true?

lemongrove Wed 28-Mar-18 16:27:33

The only important promise....we are leaving the EU.

nigglynellie Wed 28-Mar-18 16:30:06

These promises only take effect AFTER we leave the EU We haven't left yet, so who knows if they'll be kept or not, including the NHS?!

GillT57 Wed 28-Mar-18 16:45:45

Just keep believing lemongrove. Just what will it take for you to finally realise you have been deceived and lied to?

GracesGranMK2 Wed 28-Mar-18 16:46:24

Did you read the article niggly? The very first one was about how easy the leaving would be. It looks as if we have two who have ignored some promises and believed in others already.

jura2 Wed 28-Mar-18 16:54:06

What about plain and unadulterated election fraud? With such a tiny margin - we allknow it could have made all the difference.

So hold on to your knicker elastics lemongrove- you may (ahaha) be in for a BIG surprise - and it won't be the Easter Rabbit.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 28-Mar-18 16:57:37

We were sold a pup Jura and it looks as if this government is determined to keep paying the vets bills.

winterwhite Wed 28-Mar-18 17:00:24

Not sure why The Guardian is ‘leaving aside’ the £350m for the NHS, since it was held out as such a large carrot. Now plans for a 10-yr-plan are announced in the very week in which campaigns for the May local elections kick off, and of which no more is due to be heard until after these elections. Funny that.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 28-Mar-18 17:09:17

I didn't think one government (parliament) could tie in another so either they have to have a five year plan they put forward at the next election or perhaps a 15 year one agreed cross party. As May is not a sharer, I doubt it would be cross party although I am sure that would be best for the country.

Sorry, off topic.

Day6 Wed 28-Mar-18 17:18:22

We were sold a pup Jura and it looks as if this government is determined to keep paying the vets bills.

Oh that comment might be of a Leaver GGM2. grin You sound as pissed off as the majority do.

The fact remains that we are leaving the EU. The negotiations aren't ours to make, are they? It's not over yet, is it?

Shrugging off the power of Brussels and Strasbourg is a major step in the right direction even though they desperately want to keep us.

This thread is proof enough that sore Remainers still want the UK to fare badly. They cannot accept the result and delight in the EU having power over us.

It's very sad. But wholly expected.

Primrose65 Wed 28-Mar-18 17:43:00

"But at a Chatham House event earlier today, Emily Thornberry candidly stated that Labour would “probably” back Theresa May’s agreement."
(New Statesman, today)

So there's no political opposition to it, probably.

jura2 Wed 28-Mar-18 18:39:44

Day6, we aretalking about blatant electoral fraud and blatant attacks on our Sovereign Parliamentary Democracy - and in many ways- perhaps even more important than Brexit.

If it is not acceptable for Russia or the USA, or many third world countries - why do you think it is OK in the UK?

winterwhite Wed 28-Mar-18 18:52:13

Sore remainders still want the UK to fare badly
Don’t see any evidence of that on this thread or anywhere else. Everyone wants the UK to do well in the future. Remainers don’t believe that Brexit is the way to achieve this, and are dissatisfied and angry, as Leavers apparently are not, at the government’s on the hoof negotiations and abandoned promises. No reason to translate this into wanting the UK to fare badly.

nigglynellie Wed 28-Mar-18 18:57:22

There was exaggeration and lies told by both sides, an emergency budget?! Article 50 being activated the very next day, and so on.
There are people on here who long for Brexit to fail dismally and the country to become a failure in every way possible. Pathetic really, because it won't anymore than any other country outside the sainted EU.

durhamjen Wed 28-Mar-18 19:01:19

No political opposition to it? Really?

infacts.org/8-ways-lords-can-improve-mays-flawed-brexit-bill/

durhamjen Wed 28-Mar-18 19:02:54

infacts.org/sun-goes-ballistic-satellites/

durhamjen Wed 28-Mar-18 19:07:03

Sadiq Khan is quite political , and definitely opposed to it.
He's asking everyone in London to vote against the tories in the local elections to show their displeasure at Brexit.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-london-social-care-sadiq-khan-eu-workers-staff-shortage-recruitment-a8276341.html

jura2 Wed 28-Mar-18 19:09:20

I know that a man who used to work for Customs said otherwise- but here are the official concerns of the UK Freight Association - I do believe may may know what they are talking about, and should be listened to:

www.cips.org/en/supply-management/news/2018/march/fta-sounds-alarm-on-brexit-border-delays/?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_term=&utm_content=FTA%20sounds%20alarm%20on%20Brexit%20border%20delays&utm_campaign=SM%20Daily%2028.3.18

durhamjen Wed 28-Mar-18 19:31:46

An interesting article, jura.
The costs of a no-deal Brexit look very scary.
£58 billion, £7.8 billion added to retail costs; a third of firms have already raised their prices because of Brexit.

jura2 Wed 28-Mar-18 19:34:35

For those who may have never been to Calais- the photo just shows how narrow the gap is - without erasing the famous Cliffs, or building a massive platform over the Channel (imagine how long it would take and the massive cost) ... then ...

durhamjen Wed 28-Mar-18 20:22:02

I like the jobs on that article, as well, jura.
The sort of pay that MPs pick up as pocketmoney for a day a month as a non-exec., but real people are expected to live on it and buy somewhere to live in London or Oxford.

Bridgeit Wed 28-Mar-18 20:27:39

I really don’t think remainers hope that Brexit is a failure, it benifits no one, but I won’t blame anyone who in the future pass a remark such as ‘ Told you so’

jura2 Wed 28-Mar-18 21:17:23

And now (from The Times) only in March, and with the NHS in crisis, the ultimate nonsense:

The Home Office has turned away thousands of engineers, doctors and lawyers after hitting a cap on the number of visas for highly skilled non-EU migrants for a record fourth month in a row.

Business groups warn that the limit is starving UK industry of badly needed workers and harming the economy.

Theresa May introduced the annual cap of 20,700 so-called tier 2 visas while she was home secretary in 2011.

The Home Office did not say how many applications it has turned down but it is believed to have exceeded 1,000 this month.

More than a third of visas are for skilled people applying to work in NHS.

winterwhite Wed 28-Mar-18 21:22:43

Sorry to repeat myself - just looked at this thread again and want to reiterate that IMO to claim that some people on GN actively want Brexit to happen and fail is a serious accusation, and also a childish one. Please show us the posts that are held to demonstrate this.