Gransnet forums

News & politics

Meghan Markel ..Markle ?

(92 Posts)
paddyann Tue 03-Apr-18 14:17:43

in the Scottish news today is a report that the future mrs Harry is a direct descendant of ..wait for it ..ROBERT THE BRUCE...now am I being my usual cynical self by thinking this is a way to ingratiate her with the scottish public...who are notoriously not interested -couldn't care less about the royals.Or does everyone who comes into contact with royals REALLY have amazing pedigrees..or do they think we button up the back ? Gave me a good laugh anyway .

nigglynellie Wed 04-Apr-18 12:56:58

I had Irish paternal great grandparents who came from County Cork. Their daughter came to England married, and stayed!! Not sure they were royal though and certainly not Welsh, but maybe Celts, which might sort of count?!!!!!wink

Jane10 Wed 04-Apr-18 13:07:26

Great idea paddyann- the new duchess of windsor!

paddyann Wed 04-Apr-18 13:23:30

She fits the criteria ..didn't Wallis say you can never be too rich or too thin ..Mrs Harry to be is certainly very thin and by all accounts has a few pounds in the bank...lol.

henetha Wed 04-Apr-18 13:27:43

Apparently I'm descended from Catherine Howard, - even though she didn''t have any children.

nigglynellie Wed 04-Apr-18 13:43:02

She did have siblings though so being a descendant is certainly possible!

paddyann Wed 04-Apr-18 13:46:12

of course they give a lot of the royals "scottish" titles which they might use when they come here .Charlie boy is Duke of Rothesay ......not that its ever done any good for that lovely wee place.

Jalima1108 Wed 04-Apr-18 14:11:04

Apparently I'm descended from Catherine Howard, - even though she didn''t have any children.
And I'm descended from Anne Boleyn, along with a lot of Americans - even though her only daughter did not have any children grin

Don't you have to be in a direct line to be a 'descendant' - although you could have a royal 'ancestor' eg GGGGGGGGUncle?

I'm not sure, where's the expert?

nigglynellie Wed 04-Apr-18 14:16:39

I suppose you're a descendant but not a direct one?! Richard 111 had no direct descendants but DNA was taken from indirect ones to prove who he was?!! I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!!

Wheniwasyourage Wed 04-Apr-18 14:22:45

I think it's very irritating when I see Prince Charles called the Duke of Rothesay when he's been doing something in Scotland, particularly when it is followed by "as he is called in Scotland". No he isn't!! I have never heard anyone here (apart from reporters) call him the Duke of Rothesay, and he is known here as either Prince Charles or the Prince of Wales, just the same as he is anywhere else.

As paddyann suggests, it's a bit tough on poor old Rothesay!

MaizieD Wed 04-Apr-18 15:06:53

I would think that if you were descended from the sibling of a person who left no children you couldn't possibly be the childless one's 'descendent'. It makes the meaning of the word a complete nonsense. You would obviously be the descendent of their parents, though.

nigglynellie Wed 04-Apr-18 15:36:45

Duke of Rothsay is one of the titles of the heir of the monarch, along with Prince of Wales and Duke of Cornwall, going way back when. (1707 I think) Originally it was the title of the heir to the king of Scotland. Thats why he is called by that title North of the Border.

paddyann Wed 04-Apr-18 17:17:17

redundant titles for people who should be redundant Niggly Monarchy is out of its time and out of touch with the people ,it should end when the present incumbent dies .Instead they're lining up for the next hundred years !!

nigglynellie Wed 04-Apr-18 17:26:37

I don't think THEY'RE lining up for the next hundred years. They'll stay as long as people want them and at the moment, judging by the crowds, that could well be well into the future. Whether folk like it or not, a lot of people love the Royal Family, it's as simple as that!

Wheniwasyourage Wed 04-Apr-18 17:59:16

But that's my point, nigglynellie, Duke of Rothesay may be one of his titles, but to say that he is called that in Scotland is just not true, and in my view is pretty patronising. We know fine who he is, what ever we think of him. The Duke of Edinburgh uses a title from a place in Scotland and people in the rest of the UK are supposed to understand who he is!

Wheniwasyourage Wed 04-Apr-18 18:00:03

Whatever, not what ever. Use the Preview message option, clot!!

nigglynellie Wed 04-Apr-18 18:24:55

I think we ALL know who the Duke of Edinburgh is! 71 years along the line it would be odd if we didn't!!

Jalima1108 Wed 04-Apr-18 19:27:02

Perhaps it stems from the days when the Scottish King took over the English throne When!

Anniebach Wed 04-Apr-18 19:36:32

But Edingburgh is is Scotland . I am thankful it will not be Duke of Cardiff .

Edward will be the next duke of Edingburgh

Jalima1108 Wed 04-Apr-18 19:38:39

We were taken over by the Scots in 1603.

nigglynellie Wed 04-Apr-18 19:58:05

There wasn't anyone else!! Well, except the Greys, and we all know what happened to poor Jane!! sad

Jalima1108 Wed 04-Apr-18 20:06:19

I just remember that it wasn't us who took over the Scots .....

nigglynellie Wed 04-Apr-18 20:19:56

Kind of mutual consent! James V1th of Scotland was quite happy to become James 1st of England, and England was quite happy to have him! Interestingly James only visited Scotland once after he came South. Mind you it was a long way!!

paddyann Wed 04-Apr-18 20:20:20

well done Jalima1108 thats a fact that has escaped most people for centuries .They tend to think we were conquered and England is the boss instead of a supposed EQUAL partner .

nigglynellie Wed 04-Apr-18 20:37:32

James V1th was the gt grandson of Henry V111th's eldest sister who married James 1Vth of Scotland. This made him the next in line to the English throne after the death of Elizabeth 1st. (The Greys were decended from H.111 younger sister.) Nobody 'conquered' anybody, it was the line of succession, pure and simple.

nigglynellie Wed 04-Apr-18 20:41:44

The Act of Union some 100 years later was slightly more complicated!!!