Gransnet forums

News & politics

Meghan Markel ..Markle ?

(91 Posts)
paddyann Tue 03-Apr-18 14:17:43

in the Scottish news today is a report that the future mrs Harry is a direct descendant of ..wait for it ..ROBERT THE BRUCE...now am I being my usual cynical self by thinking this is a way to ingratiate her with the scottish public...who are notoriously not interested -couldn't care less about the royals.Or does everyone who comes into contact with royals REALLY have amazing pedigrees..or do they think we button up the back ? Gave me a good laugh anyway .

MaizieD Tue 03-Apr-18 15:10:21

Did Robert the Bruce have any children?

Loads of people can be 'traced back' to possible notable ancestors but the 'connections' are often of dubious quality. We had a Great Uncle who was keen on genealogical 'research' and apparently our family on his side has William the Conqueror as an ancestor. I doubt it!

On the other hand, by the time you've gone back, say, 6 generations (200 years?) you've at least 64 direct ancestors; if you're going back 800 years it will be into the 1,000s from all over the place. So a vague possibility that there may be a notable or two in the mix...

I wouldn't let it worry you, paddyann; it's probably not true

annodomini Tue 03-Apr-18 15:21:24

Yes, Robert the Bruce had a daughter, Marjorie, who married the High Steward of Scotland which is the origin of the House of Stewart and makes them ancestors of the royal family.

MaizieD Tue 03-Apr-18 15:50:23

Oh, that makes her very well connected then? wink

Can we possibly allow a Stuart back into the royal family...?

(Please don't anyone say that the Queen has a tinge of Stuart blood; I do know. I'm just being facetious here..)

paddyann Tue 03-Apr-18 16:08:23

how very convenient though ..lol

Agus Tue 03-Apr-18 16:17:12

I had a chuckle when I heard it on the news too paddyann

Doesn’t surprise me though as almost every American or Canadia I have met all claim Scottish ancestory grin

nigglynellie Tue 03-Apr-18 16:48:04

Many people are related to Charles 11nd wink but perhaps not in America! Why aren't we surprised that, hey presto, this lady has 'royal' blood in her veins!!

Cherrytree59 Tue 03-Apr-18 17:40:26

Then we are related!
MM must be a distant cousingrin

grumppa Tue 03-Apr-18 17:46:23

According to one optimistic view of the "facts" I'm descended from Utter Pendragon.

BlueBelle Tue 03-Apr-18 18:11:01

Agus I thought they were all related to an Irish ancestor ???

Bridgeit Tue 03-Apr-18 18:24:39

Well we all originate from Central Asia so don’t fret over it.

Anniebach Tue 03-Apr-18 18:31:34

Cherry, do we address you as Ma am ?

Cherrytree59 Tue 03-Apr-18 19:04:29

blush Annie please don't Cherry is just fine.
It could just be family legend!

Anniebach Tue 03-Apr-18 19:30:37

Aw, I wanted to speak to someone of noble birth. ?

varian Tue 03-Apr-18 19:50:51

If Prince Harry had chosen to marry Angela Merkel or Miss Marple I'm sure someone would have discovered they were descended from Scottish royalty, most of us are if you go back far enough.

I do know Miss Marple is not a real person, but when it comes to celebs, the boundary between fact and fiction is always a bit blurred.

Jalima1108 Tue 03-Apr-18 19:58:25

We're all cousins if we go back far enough grin

Anniebach Tue 03-Apr-18 20:33:01

So your all Welsh Jalima ?

Agus Tue 03-Apr-18 20:42:43

BlueBelle, I’m sure had I been Irish and not Scottish it would have been the same claim grin.

I was asked once if I knew Hamish Mackenzie by any chance as he lived in Scotland! To be polite I replied that I knew a few called Hamish but none with that surname.

Blinko Tue 03-Apr-18 22:18:42

On holiday in the Bahamas some years ago some very sweet lads looking after dolphins asked me if I knew the Queen....

paddyann Tue 03-Apr-18 22:59:23

it was a strange announcement coming just weeks after the idea was mooted in local papers that they would be given the title of Duke and Duchess ...or somesuch nonsense of Dumbarton....Dumbarton being one of The Bruce's old stomping grounds with his "cave" and where his mansion house was built near Renton.Seems they want to make us think Ms Markle has claim to the title...lol .I think they should get Windsor ,it has a ring to it and an American divorcee who held that title before so seems more appropriate somehow .

lilypollen Tue 03-Apr-18 23:51:12

Isn't Duke of Sussex favourite?

paddyann Tue 03-Apr-18 23:59:38

we can but hope lilypollen anything except Dumbarton .In the words of my late mother dont want it, dont like it ,keep it yourself ..(.Sussex )

Jalima1108 Wed 04-Apr-18 11:48:37

paddyann grin
I don't think that title will be used again!!

Sussex, Sussex by the sea
It does go with the theme - we already have Wessex, is there an Essex?

Jalima1108 Wed 04-Apr-18 11:52:09

So your all Welsh Jalima ?
Anniebach, there must be some Welsh blood from somewhere, my GGGD had a Welsh surname (border country though).

Jalima1108 Wed 04-Apr-18 11:53:07

that's Great-Great-Grandad not Great-Great-Granddaughter!