Gransnet forums

News & politics

Syria - what can be done

(183 Posts)
humptydumpty Thu 12-Apr-18 14:19:35

vq I absolutely agree, surely there should be far more publicity about countries supplying materials for the production of chemical weapons (including us) - naming and shaming as publicly as possible.

Anniebach Thu 12-Apr-18 13:59:51

We are not the only country selling arms so they would still have weapons, only difference is we can say nothing to do with us

vampirequeen Thu 12-Apr-18 13:13:02

We should stop selling the means to produce chemical weapons to Syria (and other countries) then we wouldn't have to through our arms up in horror because the wouldn't have the weapons to use.

We should 'encourage' Israel to withdraw from the occupied lands. Before anyone makes an accusation....I'm not anti-Semitic but I am anti the way Israel acts towards it's neighbours and it's Palestinian citizens.

Jalima1108 Wed 11-Apr-18 22:51:34

No, I don't have any ideas.

This country has been supporting Syrian refugees (as well we should because this all started with the 'Arab Spring') and I think so many of them watch from safe havens like Turkey, hoping to return and re-build their country one day. However, the support falls short of what is needed and other countries should be encouraged to help too. Not all refugees wish to re-locate to other countries permanently.

I think that if there was another vote here on supporting the US in a bombing campaign, it would not succeed this time either.

Russia is getting around the sanctions and more needs to be done to bring pressure to bear - sanctions enforced rigorously and countries to join together to ensure these are carried out.

lemongrove Wed 11-Apr-18 22:51:15

If there is a vote in Parliament to support France and the US
I think it will vote to support them.
The US strike on the Syrian airfield and planes stored there was very effective last timeIt needs to be done with precision, but that can be done.

lemongrove Wed 11-Apr-18 22:47:49

The world has been watching in horror as Assad helped by Russia and Iran have been using chemical attacks as well as constant bombing raids on people in Syria.They themselves( the people)
Are utterly amazed that nobody is willing to even try to stop it.
Obama said that his red line would be the use of chemical weapons.Then did nothing,when they were used.
Doing nothing is an act in itself.

winterwhite Wed 11-Apr-18 22:29:42

All we can do is watch with horror. A bit late now to wish that we didn’t participate in the arms trade, heartily as I do wish it.
My guess would be that TM will hold back. She must realise that there is no ‘appetite’ in the country at large for the UK to get involved in military intervention. She would be rash to count on winning a parliamentary vote, and even more rash to go ahead without one. But I may well be clutching at straws.
Trouble is of course that her success in getting other countries to support her over the Russian poisonings may make her rather gung ho. Her judgement can be poor, and she has no one of any real calibre around her.

Iam64 Wed 11-Apr-18 22:09:32

Like everyone, I'm watching the news with horror. This evening I heard that Trump is threatening Putin. Theresa May has said there should be a Parliamentary vote if the UK is to support the US in a military, ie bombing, campaign.

The involvement of UK forces in support of US invasions in recent years has been a continuing disaster. Assad is a despot, who is supported by Iran and Russia. I feel despair, does anyone have constructive suggestions about the best way this country can help the people of Syria?