Gransnet forums

News & politics

Out of touch with what ordinary Scots feel about the Donald?

(91 Posts)
Elegran Thu 26-Apr-18 16:41:39

" . . the heads of British conservative think tanks the Bow Group, Bruges Group, Parliament Street and the Freedom Association, as well as the chairman of Republicans Overseas Scotland and a contributor to ThinkScotland." wrote to Donald Trump to tell him that "the political and media establishment in London was "far out of touch" with the feelings of ordinary people outside the capital, many of whom they said "strongly support" his leadership." and urge him to meet the Queen in Scotland instead - "Your ancestral homeland of Scotland represents a powerful bond between you and Britain, and given the nature of the climate in London, it is a superior destination."

"Scotland and the North of England also offer a variety of locations where you would be able to speak directly to ordinary British people and witness the true level of support that exists for you and the special relationship between the US and the UK."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-43908976#

Do they have any notion of how Trump is rated by the Scots, who have seen him in action? What makes them imagine that the level of support north of the border is any higher than in London? Or do they not give a damn, frankly my dear, so long as they can deflect him to visit some other part of the UK?

Elegran Thu 26-Apr-18 16:47:42

I am reading a book by Philippa Gregory about Henry VIII. It was wise for his subjects to praise and flatter him and address him in terms which emphasised how much he was loved and respected by all, even when they saw that he was bending all the laws of state and church to suit his own wishes and desires. The sentiments and tone of this letter to DT would have been familiar to many in that era.

paddyann Thu 26-Apr-18 16:54:11

This makes my blood boil..what right have these conservative groups to say what the people of Scotland think.The Conservatives have a mere 22% of the vote here hardly in power!!As for the "special relationship" being America's poodle went out of fashion around the time of Tony Blair and long may it be so .If anyone is "out of touch" its these clowns .

Caledonai14 Thu 26-Apr-18 17:00:26

Elegran thanks for posting that. I felt down when I read the story. I have written to the BBC, suggesting they look at their archive news to see just how far fetched the think tanks' ideas are....especially the bit about how easy it will be for him to meet ordinary Brits in Scotland...and what their attitude to him might be.

I would say there's just as much chance of protests in Scotland as there is in London. If only at the lack of promised jobs at Menie and the treatment of neighbours.

There are very good reasons why Scotland sacked him as a global trade ambassador.

Eloethan Thu 26-Apr-18 17:10:11

I agree. These groups are speaking for themselves and should not imply that they are representing the views of all Scottish people.

No doubt Trump has some Scottish supporters but I am aware that he is very unpopular in some areas where he has tried to impose his will regarding various of his business projects.

As far as the "special relationship" is concerned, it seems only to be called into play when it suits the US.

The remarks are also divisive. There are also "ordinary British people" in London and, as in Scotland and the North of England, they don't all have the same opinions re Trump or anything else.

Elegran Thu 26-Apr-18 17:11:13

Just announced - he is to visit the UK on Friday 13 July, the White House says. No details yet about his itinerary. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he will go to St Andrews, where a branch of Republicans Overseas has been started. That, the golf, and the St A connection with Prince William should draw him there.

Caledonai14 Thu 26-Apr-18 17:44:50

They'll keep him away from protests, but it's going to be a huge cost in extra security wherever he goes.

I'm more and more in favour of a mass back-turning, silent protest which will make it onto TV news, even if they keep it from him in person. Sincerely hope nobody gets hurt but there's always the chance of tempers getting frayed. Very hard job for the police, I suspect.

I think it's yet another downside of Brexit that we are going to have to sook up to world leaders no matter what their values and history.

The tweets might provide some light relief though.

Elegran Thu 26-Apr-18 17:45:32

The signatories to the letter (in their own words) The Republicans Overseas Scotland group is made up of American Republicans who wish to keep in touch with the party. Understandable that they want to have their President visit Scotland, but they are speaking for themselves, not for Scots.

Think Scotland - The site relaunched in July 2012 seeking a far broader constituency as an independent not-for-profit debating forum with a cross-section of topical, political and cultural writing on a daily basis.
ThinkScotland’s editorial position has always been right of centre – with the aim of explaining and defending free markets and an open liberal society – but crucially without endorsing any one political party – or taking a corporate view. "
Comments are encouraged but moderated. Enjoy, be infuriated – but either way, respond. www.thinkscotland.org/about-us/

The Bow Group is the United Kingdom's oldest conservative think tank. Founded in 1951, the Bow Group exists to publish the research of its members, stimulate policy debate through an events programme and to provide an intellectual home to conservatives in the United Kingdom. Although firmly housed in the conservative family, the Bow Group does not take a corporate view and it represents all strands of conservative opinion.

The Bruges Group ^ is an independent all-party think tank. Set up in February 1989, its aim was to promote the idea of a less centralised European structure than that emerging in Brussels.^

Parliament Street is an innovative young think tank dedicated to creating a community of ideas. We aim at all times to give all our members a high return on involvement through participation. We don’t have a corporate view, except when we do.

The Freedom Association, founded in 1975 is is a non-partisan, centre-right, libertarian pressure group. We believe in the freedom of the individual in all aspects of life to as great an extent as possible. As such, we seek to challenge all erosion of civil liberties and campaign in support of individual liberty and freedom of expression.

Katek Thu 26-Apr-18 22:14:25

He’s certainly not very popular in our neck of the woods after the planning issues surrounding his golf course. It’s commonly known as Trumpton!

mostlyharmless Thu 26-Apr-18 22:15:03

I thought that Trump had upset a lot of Scots with his Turnberry and Aberdeen golf courses. I wouldn’t have thought he would be any more welcome there than in London and quite possibly less.
Didn’t he build on an SSSI, build a wall or dyke that ruined people’s views and promise to create thousands of jobs that didn’t materialise?

Eloethan Thu 26-Apr-18 22:43:32

Caledonail I agree with you that a silent back-turning protest would be far more effective and dignified than a lot of screaming, shouting and general misbehaviour - which would undoubtedly provide a welcome opportunity for all protesters to be characterised as troublemakers.

SueDonim Thu 26-Apr-18 23:32:37

I don't get aerated about many things, but this got my goat today when I read it! How dare they? angry I don't know one single person here who has a good word for Trump. If he comes to this area, I'll be joining any protest that takes place!

Granny23 Thu 26-Apr-18 23:38:03

I'll bet they are the very people who are quick to jump in to say that Nicola Sturgeon, the democratically elected First Minister of Scotland, has no right to speak on behalf of Scots or Scotland.

FarNorth Fri 27-Apr-18 00:09:15

Very likely, Granny23.

gillybob Fri 27-Apr-18 07:38:23

If the South Korean president, Moon Jae-in (had to google his name) can graciously meet the depot that is Kim Jong-Un why can’t “we” extend a hand to the president of the United States of America?

Jangran99 Fri 27-Apr-18 07:59:46

Completely agree gillybob we can respect the office ,not the incumbent. As for "sooking up" to other world leaders re trade ,are we not already trading with them via the EU?

gillybob Fri 27-Apr-18 08:02:20

Despot not depot (silly me) .

Yes Jangran my thoughts exactly. We should respect the office. Whether we care for the man himself is besides the point.

Elegran Fri 27-Apr-18 08:16:36

Does that mean that the previous posts are from "ordinary people outside the capital, many of whom they said "strongly support" his leadership. - because I have yet to meet one of those rare birds. Plenty of people respect the office but don't "strongly support" the leadership of this man and strongly object to some of the things he has promoted.

Would you all respect the office of PM of Westminster enough to keep silent about the things that he/she stands for which you don't approve of?

BlueBelle Fri 27-Apr-18 08:25:28

Never gillybob I cant forgive many of the things he has said or done I don’t want to extend my hand of friendship to a narcissistic racist who is probably the most dangerous person in the world because of his ignorance and total lack of insight or compassion
As for the Korean ‘friendship’ call me cynical but I somehow think there is something dodgy behind that hand of friendship
Anyone who is so dispassionate about this visit has obviously not realised what he stands for

gillybob Fri 27-Apr-18 08:33:10

Okay BlueBelle . I don’t think the extended hand (north/South Korea) was that of friendship, more out of a need to promote peaceful relations between the two countries and indeed the rest of the world.

As I said earlier, no need to like the man (or even stop hating him) but just to respect the office and promote continued peaceful relations.

paddyann Fri 27-Apr-18 08:54:25

he has treated people disgracefully here ,one elderly woman in particular who has denied access to water....because he wants her land .Sorry gillybob but that sort of behaviour doesn't merit "respect" not for the man and not for his office where he is still promoting his businesses from despite it being against the rules .
IF he shows some signs of being a decent human being I might rethink it but for now,he's not welcome here .I'll join the protest ..turning our backs on trump works for me ...and I'll turn my back on all right wing politicians who are intent on using Scotland for their own ends .

Caledonai14 Fri 27-Apr-18 11:58:41

As many of the comments show, Scottish dislike of Donald Trump stems from his actions and failings here well before he became president.

I now think the thing about meeting the Queen in a palace or castle anywhere-but-London is a cynical attempt by Tory politicians to shield him from protest. It's unthinkable that anyone would form part of a chanting crowd or even turn their back on the Queen.

There are echos of the rush to get troops on the ground in Iraq to the extent that many of them were badly equipped and supplied. Commentators later alleged the Blair government believed all UK protest would stop once Brit troops were on the ground because we'd all get behind our soldiers. Hence the haste.

The Tory think tanks' uninformed message about ordinary folk in Scotland and the north of England supporting Trump and wanting to meet him was aimed solely at Trump because he has said he won't come if there are protests.

And he does have some support among Scottish windfarm protestors and groups with the same interests as his businesses, or which benefit from his spending on advertising and promotion, for example.

However, the tanks' ignorance of Trump's bullish record in Scotland would be comical if it were not sad. And no matter how quietly and politely dignified we choose to be, it is likely to be an expensive nightmare for local police, whether in Windsor or Scotland.

Fennel Fri 27-Apr-18 12:39:11

I too followed the story of the hostility over his bullying behaviour when he was planning the golf course. I think he should get more hostility in Scotland than in England.
But why was he able to buy up all that precious Scottish land anyway?

JenniferEccles Fri 27-Apr-18 12:44:03

All the negative comments have been repeated many , many times about Donald Trump.

We all know his shortcomings but but but..... he IS the President of the United States, our ally, so I don't think raucous demonstrations, by the 'rent-a-mob' protesters is in our best interests.

After all, the Queen has entertained many despotic world leaders in the past, with appalling human rights records who are far far worse than Trump.

We need this relationship with the US, but of course your average red faced angry 'man (and woman) in the street'
protester wouldn't think of that when the herd mentality comes into play.

Jane10 Fri 27-Apr-18 13:31:28

I go out and about and meet lots of people in the course of life in Scotland. I've never once met a single person who had a good word to say about Trump.
I'm for completely ignoring his visit. He's highly likely to re brand any protesters as 'a wonderful show of support' for his bombastic self. Grrrrrangry