Gransnet forums

News & politics

Now Sajid Javid suffers racist abuse from Corbyn supporters.

(191 Posts)
Day6 Wed 02-May-18 23:46:49

First Jews and now this. Labour has definitely become the nasty party, embracing hard left racist thugs.

What is going on when Corbyn's supporters abuse the new home secretary because of the colour of his skin?

Javid asked Corbyn to denounce them, but the leader of the Labour party kept his seat.

"Sajid Javid demanded Jeremy Corbyn denounce his supporters for branding him a 'coconut' and 'Uncle Tom' since his appointment as Home Secretary,"

"Since being made Home Secretary on Monday, Mr Javid has been subject to a torrent of racist abuse - which appears to come from left-wingers who profess support for Mr Corbyn."

'I was talking about members of the hard left that have created a hostile environment in their own party and people that welcome my appointment by calling me a 'coconut' and an 'Uncle Tom'.

'If that's something (Mr Corbyn) thinks is wrong, why doesn't he come to the dispatch box right now and denounce them?' "

Corbyn didn't. No surprises there.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5683017/Sajid-Javid-demands-Corbyn-denounce-supporters-branding-coconut-Uncle-Tom.html

MaizieD Thu 03-May-18 14:55:09

@Grandad

The Windrush thread is, for some obscure reason, on the AIBU forum

yggdrasil Thu 03-May-18 15:18:18

nigglynellie: That's very commendable of Ms Abbott, but I still don't see why JC couldn't do as annie suggested and just condemn racism wherever it comes from and to wherever it is directed regardless of party.
He has of course, many times. But if he had to do that every time someone claiming to be a Corbyn supporter posts a racist remark he'd never have time to talk about anything else.
And the rampant racism in the Tory party is ignored in the national news

Anniebach Thu 03-May-18 15:22:23

Abbott was right to condemn racism , everyone must, if they think it is wrong

Grandad1943 Thu 03-May-18 15:35:06

Including the racist policy of the whole Conservative party in regard to the Windrush generation annie

mostlyharmless Thu 03-May-18 15:54:07

A Tory MP has given an awkward interview on immigration in which he referred to Channel Four presenter Krishnan Guru-Murthy as "people like you".

Sir Roger Gale appeared on Channel Four News last night to talk about the problems facing the Windrush generation with Labour's Chuka Umunna.

But the veteran Tory insisted on talking about the problems of illegal immigrants - regardless of the fact that the people who came to the UK in the post war period are British citizens

This was live on Channel 4 yesterday!

Nobody on this thread seems to have called for his resignation or an apology and firm action from Theresa May.

Double standards? Or do you just expect it from a Tory MP?

winterwhite Thu 03-May-18 16:09:49

Agree, double standards.

Baggs Thu 03-May-18 16:26:32

People on this thread don,t need to call for an apology from TM. She has already given one.

Also, why should a tory MP resign because he has been talking about illegal immigrants?

What was the rest of the sentence/context of the phrase "people like you"? I'm sure there are plenty of people like Krishnan Guru-Murthy just as there are plenty like me. It depends what 'like' is referring to whether it is offensive or not.

Baggs Thu 03-May-18 16:27:14

Not saying your complaint isn't justified, mh, only that there is not sufficient information in your post to make a considered judgment.

Jalima1108 Thu 03-May-18 16:43:15

Just playing devil's advocate here, as HATE any kind of racial/gender stereotype, but doesn't coconut used in this way mean black on the outside but white on the inside, & therefore 'guilty' of bailing out on the black community?

I don't know, haven't heard that expression before - but a Home Secretary should be concerned about all communities and all members of society surely?

I am sure Sajid Javid will do just that, having been born and brought up in humble surroundings and now occupying one of the most influential offices of state.

Anniebach Thu 03-May-18 16:51:29

Yes it does mean that Jalima

Gerispringer Thu 03-May-18 16:53:26

I guess we could have a thread entitled "Diane Abbott subject to sexist and racist abuse by Tory supporters", but that wouldn't be news as its been happening for years.

petra Thu 03-May-18 17:00:45

jalima
The word was used against Nat Kingcole back in the 50s for exactly the same reason sad

mostlyharmless Thu 03-May-18 17:38:49

baggs
This is the Krishnan Guru-Murthy interview. Roger Gale did backtrack without apologising.

inews.co.uk/video/krishnan-guru-murthy-people-like-you-godsiff-channel-4-news/

Baggs Thu 03-May-18 17:53:50

TY, mh. Not sure I can watch it though; we don't have a TV licence. Don't suppose there's a transcript?

What I was thinking is this: KGM's parents were born in India. He was born in Liverpool, UK. He and his siblings are British. I presume his parents were too.

So, in that respect the Windrush generation can be seen as "people like" him.

Which is not insulting.

However, I haven't seen the whole context.

Grandad1943 Thu 03-May-18 18:09:03

Baggs quote[ People on this thread don,t need to call for an apology from TM. She has already given one.] End Quote

Theresa May should do more than apologize, she should resign. Many of the Windrush generation has had their lives wrecked by the immigration policies of this government.

Many of that generation has been refused re-entry to Britain when they have gone back to visit relatives, etc.

Others have been refused treatment on the NHS when they have most needed it.

Some are being denied their pension rights even though they have worked and paid taxes in Britain for very many years.

Others have been denied access to many social services because they cannot prove their British citizenship.

The above is not just an apology matter, it is a resigning matter for Theresa May as much of what happened took place while she was Home Secretary. She should get out of the way and let someone with a vestige of decency take over as Prime Minister.

Although, it may be difficult to find someone with a vestige of decency on the Tory Benches.

mostlyharmless Thu 03-May-18 18:48:03

This is the transcript if you want to read it baggs.
But you can’t hear the aggressive tone and manner of Gale without viewing it. Very unpleasant sneering.

^HomeNewsPoliticsIllegal immigrants
Tory MP refers to Krishnan Guru-Murthy as 'people like you' in 'toxic' immigration interview
Veteran Conservative Sir Roger Gale had come on Channel Four News to talk about the problems facing the Windrush generation with Labour's Chuka Umunna^

ByNicola BartlettPolitical Correspondent

TORY MP REFERS TO KRISHNAM GURU MURPHY AS "PEOPLE LIKE YOU"

A Tory MP has given an awkward interview on immigration in which he referred to Channel Four presenter Krishnan Guru-Murthy as "people like you".

Sir Roger Gale appeared on Channel Four News last night to talk about the problems facing the Windrush generation with Labour's Chuka Umunna.

But the veteran Tory insisted on talking about the problems of illegal immigrants - regardless of the fact that the people who came to the UK in the post war period are British citizens.

And he accused Krishnan Guru-Murthy of not wanting to talk about illegal immigration.

Sir Roger Gale and Chuka Umunna clashed over immigration
Sir Roger said: "I have a significant number of legal migrants in my constituency, they work in the hospitals, they work in old people's homes, they work on the land, they make a significant contribution to the community, they are legal migrants."

Mr Guru-Murthy asked: "Why do you see them as legal migrants?"

But Sir Roger replied: "You've had your say let me have mine. I understand that you don't want to talk about illegal migrants.

"The fact of the matter is that the illegal migrants and those that traffic them cause misery they lead to in some cases modern slavery and they damage the cause of legal migrants.

"And it's time that people like you understood that."

Mr Guru-Murthy replied: "What do you mean by people like me?"

Sir Roger replied: "I mean precisely what you said because you told me you didn't want to talk about it.

Mr Guru-Murthy asked again: "I'm not sure what you mean by people like me."

Sir Roger answered: "I mean people like you as a television reporter."

"It's not because I'm Asian, is it?" Mr Guru-Murthy asked.

"I couldn't care less what colour, class or creed you are," Sir Roger replied

Baggs Thu 03-May-18 19:16:32

in which he referred to Channel Four presenter Krishnan Guru-Murthy as "people like you".

This doesn't make sense. You can't refer to one person as "people like you".

Baggs Thu 03-May-18 19:19:28

Okay, I've read further now.

^"The fact of the matter is that the illegal migrants and those that traffic them cause misery they lead to in some cases modern slavery and they damage the cause of legal migrants.
"And it's time that people like you understood that."^

I don't see anything wrong with this. The "people like you" phrase is referring to media types like KGM. It has nothing to do with his race. Not at that point anyway.

Baggs Thu 03-May-18 19:25:16

Which Gale makes perfectly clear later saying he doesn't care less what colour, class or creed KGM is.

"Reporter types" is not racist.

Gale's manner may have been unpleasant but he hasn't said anything racist in that transcript. From the transcript is looks as though KGM is "playing the race card" which I find surprising. I'm puzzled as to why he thinks Gale was being racist. And I'd get annoyed with someone who did that too.

From the info I have it looks to me as if Gale was making a valid point (whether one agrees with it is irrelevant for the purpose of this post) and KGM was twisting it into something it wasn't.

Baggs Thu 03-May-18 19:31:02

Gale was saying that illegal immigration causes problems and that he thinks people like Krishnan Guru-Murthy, interviewers, TV news people, are not facing up to that.

You don't have to agree with what he was saying to accept that it isn't racist towards KGM or anyone else.

Anniebach Thu 03-May-18 19:38:01

I agree Baggs

Baggs Thu 03-May-18 19:41:54

The transcript suggests to me that KGM was being obtuse.

It's quite hard not to get irritated with obtuseness.

Jalima1108 Thu 03-May-18 20:00:12

Am I to understand, then, that people who are referred to as 'coconuts' are abused because they probably do not see 'colour' at all and have just integrated into society as a whole, as Sajid Javid has?

Surely that should be the ideal to which we should all aspire?

mostlyharmless Thu 03-May-18 20:03:15

Addressing an Asian as “people like you” in the middle of a rant about illegal immigrants is not racist?

Jalima1108 Thu 03-May-18 20:07:33

Well, if he was ranting to a journalist then maybe not.

Perhaps people are too quick to think 'racism' before other categories.