Gransnet forums

News & politics

Children and gender reassignment

(47 Posts)
FarNorth Sun 06-May-18 19:59:15

www.citizengo.org/en/147194-prohibit-all-medical-treatment-gender-reassignment-below-age-18?m=5&tcid=48037407

Here is a petition to Jeremy Hunt. In brief, it says -
'we call for medical intervention to change gender, whether surgical or by the administration of sex changing hormones, to be banned below the age of 18.'

Please consider signing it.

FarNorth Wed 20-Jun-18 18:28:25

PECS the articles I have quoted are written by people who are living/working in the situation they are talking about.

varian Wed 20-Jun-18 17:51:34

I would not sign this petition, because I know a young man, now in his twenties, who was born as a girl and expressed a wish to be a boy from the age of two.

For a transgender person puberty can be a nightmare and early intervention can save them from that unnecessary suffering.

PECS Wed 20-Jun-18 17:45:03

It always amazes me how strident people are in opinions when they have absolutely no experience or expertise in the areas being discussed. It has become fashionable, thanks to celeb culture, vox pop journos, many red top/poular media outlets, to think that anyone's point of view is as valid as someone who has actually lived/worked with a situation. Next time you need brain surgery just ask me, I can carve up a chicken!grin

sodapop Wed 20-Jun-18 12:48:02

Young people have varying degrees of maturity so this treatment should not be considered before the age of 18.
I agree with Mumofmadboys

FarNorth Wed 20-Jun-18 12:24:59

Another very interesting, although long, article about people who detransition and now identify as their birth sex and gender.

www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/07/when-a-child-says-shes-trans/561749/

Here is an extract :

"[Carey Callahan] is now calling for a more careful approach to treating gender dysphoria than what many detransitioners say they experienced themselves.

In part, that would mean clinicians adhering to guidelines like Wpath’s Standards of Care, which are nonbinding. “When I look at what the SOC describes, and then I look at my own experience and my friends’ experiences of pursuing hormones and surgery, there’s hardly any overlap between the directives of the SOC and the reality of care patients get,” Carey told me. "

FarNorth Sat 12-May-18 10:50:59

^^
The article is an easily understandable account of many of the health implications of gender reassignment in children and teenagers.

FarNorth Fri 11-May-18 18:59:51

Here is a very interesting article - although quite long.

www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2018/04/21220/
(Author: Michael K. Laidlaw, MD is a board-certified physician in Rocklin, California specializing in Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism.)

yggdrasil Wed 09-May-18 09:14:20

It is just that a lot of people have great compassion for others they have never met or know about only what they read in the newspapers. Bridgit said she had knowledge of a trans person. So I accept her opinion even if I disagree with it.

winterwhite Tue 08-May-18 19:42:29

Yggdrasil, why do you ask this ‘out of interest’ and then say ‘Fair enough’?
The petition is not about compassion, much needed, for those in this situation. That would be a different matter. It is about the need or otherwise to protect young people from taking a decision they may later come to regret in a new field where little is known. I’m not sure what might be unfair in expressing an opinion about this.

BlueBelle Tue 08-May-18 18:58:21

Yes Yggdrasil I do know someone, a girl of 13 who was totally convinced she was born into the wrong body she changed her name to a boys name she started wearing male clothes and cut her hair short Luckily her mother didn’t go down any surgical route although the girl was hoping for that, now aged 15 she is wearing makeup, nail polish has returned to her given name
Although some children may feel they know from a young age that they need to be a different gender for the safety of all no decisions should be made before 18

JenniferEccles Tue 08-May-18 17:42:38

I will also sign it.

I find this whole gender reassignment idea shocking, but especially when it is children we are talking about.

Even for adults, surely if a person feels they are in the 'wrong' body then they should be having psychiatric help not have their bodies mutilated?

After all there is nothing physically wrong with their bodies whether male or female - the problem is all in the mind so that's where the treatment should be.

I am certain in years to come, there are going to be some very unhappy people who are left wondering why someone, anyone,didn't step in to stop them making the biggest mistake of their lives.

Actually there is evidence about that already.

I remember a while back reading about a psychiatrist who tried to find out just how many (if any) of these people who had undergone this procedure ever regretted their decision after a number of years. He had to do a hell of a lot of digging but then discovered there is a significant number in that situation.

It made very disturbing reading, especially the fact that he encountered a 'wall of silence' around the numbers.

Bridgeit Tue 08-May-18 15:01:00

Just happened upon this photo. ?

yggdrasil Tue 08-May-18 12:35:26

Thank you Bridgit. Fair enough

Bridgeit Tue 08-May-18 10:28:15

I do. & the person is not young. I think 18 is a reasonable age, (on several levels ) although I can appreciate it must be difficult for those who are in this situation.

yggdrasil Tue 08-May-18 07:46:31

Just out of interest, how many of you signing actually know any trans gender people?

BlueBelle Mon 07-May-18 22:21:48

Should have said I ve signed too

winterwhite Mon 07-May-18 22:19:00

Agree and have signed.

Bridgeit Mon 07-May-18 21:34:05

Yes I also agree.

BlueBelle Mon 07-May-18 20:49:06

Phew that’s good I thought I was going a bit bonkers read it twice and still didn’t get it easily done no need to apologise x

SpontaneousGran Mon 07-May-18 20:27:27

BlueBelle I totally agree with the petition, I made a mistake and didn't read it properly before my first post.. My mistake - sorry.

BlueBelle Mon 07-May-18 20:23:09

I don’t understand your post spontaneousgran you seem to agree with the petition

SpontaneousGran Mon 07-May-18 20:22:13

My apologies, I read the petition wrongly. My post still stands as to why children must not be given these awful drugs.

SpontaneousGran Mon 07-May-18 20:19:42

No, I won't sign it. Puberty blockers age given to children who often can't decide what they want for dinner. They are then prescribed cross sex hormones which leave them infertile. This cannot ever be right. To sign this petition IMO signs away our children's rights to explore their sexuality and be complicit in enforcing gender norms. It also enslaves children who don't even have the right to marry, vote, drive, and many other things to medication for life and never to experience having their own family.

www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/11/transgender-nhs-doctor-prescribing-sex-hormones-children-uk

world.wng.org/content/doctors_puberty_blockers_are_a_dangerous_experiment

Puberty blockers are off label cancer drugs with side effects.

www.transgendertrend.com/puberty-blockers/

BlueBelle Mon 07-May-18 20:08:37

I don’t be.ieve any surgery should be done before 18
And I don’t think there should be anything done before puberty other than understanding, love acceptance and talking

Joelsnan Mon 07-May-18 19:31:11

yggdrasil but that thought still encourages the male female stereotype when both male and female bodies have broad spectrum psychological gender identities from very feminine female to very 'butch' type females and effeminate men to the testosterone raging man..
Does physical gender reassignment enable full transition or is it a case of societal 'norms' of what we have been led to believe what a male and female body and thought processes are which are forcing people to undergo surgery