Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why has a woman never led the Labour Party?

(170 Posts)
trisher Sun 13-May-18 17:26:13

As tributes are paid to Tessa Jowell I can't help thinking of some of the other great women in the Labour Party-some living, some dead who could have been great leaders. Barbara Castle, Mo Mowlam, Harriet Harman and I'm sure there are more. So I wonder why these women never made it. Is it in-built sexism? The Conservatives of course have had 2 women leaders, but both can be said to be women who were groomed and supported by men. So is it perhaps that Labour women are much more outspoken, do not always toe the party line, and will not be puppets?

varian Wed 16-May-18 16:16:01

People who actually join a political party are likely to care more about politics than the average voter and to be more knowledgeable. In some parties (but not all) they have a strong influence on party policy.

I find it astonishing that Jeremy Corbyn has chosen to ignore the views of the majority of Labour MPs, the majority of Labour Party members and the majority of Labour Party voters, all of whom want to Remain in the EU.

lemongrove Wed 16-May-18 17:57:21

I doubt the majority of Labour voters wanted to stay in the EU considering all the Northern towns that had big leave votes.

lemongrove Wed 16-May-18 17:58:26

Corbyn himself is no fan of the EU and spent years on the back benches saying so.

Fennel Wed 16-May-18 18:08:05

Agree with both posts lemon.

varian Wed 16-May-18 18:24:54

65% of people who voted for Labour in 2015, voted Remain in the EU referendum

yougov.co.uk/news/2016/06/27/how-britain-voted/

lemongrove Wed 16-May-18 18:32:40

Since the vote was entirely private Varian these figures are from selected polls.

varian Wed 16-May-18 19:27:37

You can be sure that these figures will be accurate to within quite small limits. No-one is claiming to know how any individual voted but as with any statistical information, the pattern is clear.

65% of Labour party voters (or about 65%) voted to Remain, as did the majority of LP members and Labour MPs. Since the referendum, they seem to have been sidelined by Corbyn and his team, which is a huge disappointment.

Iam64 Wed 16-May-18 19:44:53

I agree varian, my friends and family are mostly Labour voters and all voted Remain. We were away with a group of 20 recently, all in our late 60's or early 70's, all LP voters, all totally fed up with the current leadership and the EU situation

Jalima1108 Wed 16-May-18 20:37:15

A lot of Labour voters deserted and voted UKIP and then deserted UKIP at the last election.

lemongrove Wed 16-May-18 20:43:12

Labour heartlands that voted to Leave were Labour voters.
Polls and anecdotal evidence don’t count really, and I don’t think those figures will be accurate to within quite small limits, not at all.

lemongrove Wed 16-May-18 20:44:58

It doesn’t matter of course, because people who voted Leave and people who voted Remain were from all sides of the political spectrum.

MaizieD Wed 16-May-18 20:46:01

I doubt the majority of Labour voters wanted to stay in the EU considering all the Northern towns that had big leave votes.

Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, York and Newcastle all voted Remain.

Don't forget that 'the North' doesn't contain exclusively Labour voters. Northern tory and UKIP voters made their contribution, too.

lemongrove Wed 16-May-18 20:47:16

I believe I just made that comment ( all sides of the political spectrum.)

lemongrove Wed 16-May-18 20:47:58

...and I did say towns, not cities.

varian Fri 18-May-18 17:38:44

There were a lot of poor folk living in areas of post industrial dereliction, particularly in the Midlands and the North of England, who voted leave because they wanted to protest against David Cameron and his government who seemed to ignore their plight.

This was absolutely nothing to do with the EU, but a low level of education, and a habit of reading down-market tabloids helped them to choose "leave" rather than "remain"

Anniebach Fri 18-May-18 17:57:13

I find ‘low level of education’ insulting and patronising.

Why is it so difficult for some to accept it was not a vote against Cameron but fear of immigration

POGS Sat 19-May-18 08:29:11

" This was absolutely nothing to do with the EU, but a low level of education, and a habit of reading down-market tabloids helped them to choose "leave" rather than "remain"

Varian you are at least consistent with your opinion of those who voted Leave, yet some on GN deny the continual posting by " some ' Remain voters calling the Leave voters uneducated and I'll informed because of what they can only read.

MaizieD Sat 19-May-18 08:35:45

As varian's statement is backed up by the post ref research into voter characteristics I see no reason why she shouldn't repeat it. Gnetters who pride themselves on their intelligence and right thinking should surely be able to recognise that 'most' is not synonymous with 'all'.

Anniebach Sat 19-May-18 08:54:59

Most is - the majority