Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can't believe it!

(80 Posts)
Jane10 Fri 18-May-18 18:08:03

BBC news at 6. Main 'headlines' a load of crap about the Royal wedding preparations plus would you believe it? - interviews with other people getting married tomorrow. Meanwhile in the real world there's been another mass shooting at a school in America and the UN condemns Israel for its behaviour.
Priorities please BBC!! You are meant to be reporting the news. Leave the fluff to Hello magazine. angry

Bridgeit Tue 22-May-18 19:00:58

Can you explain what you mean by a grown up society?

maryeliza54 Tue 22-May-18 18:08:40

It’s not about my own life changing Brid it’s about the bigger picture but it won’t happen anyway - doesn’t stop me thinking it would make us a more grown up society.

nigglynellie Tue 22-May-18 16:33:41

Exactly annie, philanthropists come in all shapes, sizes and families including the RF. A lot of what they do is often not recorded or talked about, but happens just the same, and to belittle anyone's contribution simply because of who they are, apart from bein horrid, actually doesn't make any sense!,

Anniebach Tue 22-May-18 16:12:24

I agree niggly, most of the work by the RF takes place without any publicity, Anne does so much but is ignored because she isn’t young or glam.

Bridgeit Tue 22-May-18 16:11:12

I would be interested to know how you envisage your own life would change Maryeliza54 if we didn’t have the Royal Family?

nigglynellie Tue 22-May-18 15:44:07

Of course there are, what an idiotic comment! No one can help the family they're born into, and to be so filled with hatred for people because of who they are by accident of birth, no matter what good they try to do is just horrible! If that's republicanism then I for one shudder at the thought of it!

maryeliza54 Tue 22-May-18 15:12:28

Damn right the RF can’t do right for doing wrong - there are plenty of examples of philanthropists. that don’t call for being royal

nigglynellie Tue 22-May-18 14:06:06

I think for some people the RF can't do right for doing wrong, so whatever they set up or get involved with will almost certainly be sneered at and pulled to bits, be it The Duke of Edinburgh award, The Prince's Trust, Help for Hero's, whatever, so not much point discussing any of it!

Bridgeit Tue 22-May-18 12:57:48

Shouldn’t we all be doing that on a daily basis?

maryeliza54 Tue 22-May-18 11:48:19

It can be as uplifting and worth listening to as possible and still not make a blind bit of difference. Was what it really saying that hadn’t been said a million times before? Love can do all sorts of things but it doesn’t seem to be much in evidence across the privileged elites that hold sway in our present day society does that it? Wouldn’t it be great if all those in the congregation formed an ‘End poverty and children going to bed hungry ‘ support group?

muffinthemoo Tue 22-May-18 11:42:06

I was distracted by the absolutely magnificent side eye that Kate was giving her stepmother in law lol.

Kate is normally impeccable in public so I wonder what Camilla was saying to her?

Smileless2012 Tue 22-May-18 11:36:27

Well perhaps it didn't create "deep thought in all who listened to the address" but I for one found it uplifting and well worth listening to.

MawBroon Tue 22-May-18 06:35:07

Sunday 20 May 19.06
The sermon by the American Bishop was full of humour, sincerety (sic) fire and at times elegance which created deep thought in all who listened to the address

Really? hmm

Anniebach Mon 21-May-18 22:21:14

Some posts are boring, some interesting, some funny, all posts which make personal jibes at fellow posters are cruel .

Maggiemaybe Mon 21-May-18 22:01:13

Nice.

Jane10 Mon 21-May-18 21:41:50

.. and boring!

Mapleleaf Mon 21-May-18 21:36:40

Not always interesting, though, Maggiemaybe. Sometimes just utterly confusing.

Anniebach Mon 21-May-18 21:06:25

Harry has taken Eugenies place as minor royal number six .

Maggiemaybe Mon 21-May-18 21:00:30

Because threads meander and evolve, Mapleleaf. That's what makes them interesting.

Mapleleaf Mon 21-May-18 20:50:41

How on earth have we managed to get onto conspiracy theories around the death of Diana and who might have "murdered" her? confused.
Well said,Grandad1943

Grandad1943 Sun 20-May-18 19:06:11

To return to topic, I have just beeñ reading that the world's media are full of admiration in regard to the wedding of these two young people. They are all full of praise for Britain's presentation of the event and the pagentry, grace and humour that only the United Kingdom is able to bring forward on such occasions.

The bribe entering St George's Chapel on her own in that flowing gown to the voice of that solo singer was in reality nothing short of stunning

The sermon by the American Bishop was full of humour, sincerety, fire and at times elegance which created deep thought in all who listened to the address.

The ceremony was very different from previous royal weddings but felt very right, for as this monarchy moves slowly from the greatest Queen this nation has ever possessed to a new era that will have to encompass much change.

Prince Charles, William and Harry along with his new wife staked out that future yesterday and in that did exceptionally well for the perception of that forthcoming era.

It was a real pleasure to watch and as stated, Britain at its very best.

nigglynellie Sun 20-May-18 14:39:03

The only person responsible for Diana's death was Dodi.
Had he not insisted that they leave the Ritz, where they had a luxury apartment and drive hell for leather in the middle of the night with a drunken (off duty) driver, no seat belts, and knowing perfectly well that the paparazzi were baying at the door, it would never have happened! Why on earth they didn't wait till the morning, with at least a sober driver, some police protection, and perhaps do up their seat belts is beyond me

Anniebach Sun 20-May-18 14:31:24

That takes me back ?, many believed it too . Hasnet Khan lived in a lovely house in Stratford, Diana was often see driving there.

Maggiemaybe Sun 20-May-18 14:25:08

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk/2008/feb/18/diana.monarchy

Maggiemaybe Sun 20-May-18 14:23:30

Oh, I see he was on Mohammed Al Fayed’s list of people involved:

By the end of his day in court, Fayed's list of participants in the alleged murder plot and cover-up encompassed Diana's sister Sarah McCorquodale and her husband, Robert Fellowes; two former chiefs of London police; the British ambassador to France; driver Henri Paul; two French toxicologists, members of the French medical service; three bodyguards he once employed and several of the princess's closest friends., according to a Guardian report at the time.

But in typical Grauniad fashion, they’ve got Diana’s sisters muddled up. smile

I think Tony Blair and the Duke of Edinburgh ended up on the list as well.