Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jacob Rees-Mogg Moves For Conservative Party Leadership.

(684 Posts)
Grandad1943 Wed 23-May-18 17:49:55

With an open attack on Theresa Mays handling of the Brexit negotiations many in the media believe that Jacob Rees-Mogg has made his first open move in a bid to become Conservative party leader and Britain's next Prime Minister.

Rees-Mogg in yet another of his ongoing interviews with the media lambasted "weak" Theresa May for preparing the UK for "Brexit failure". Rees-Mogg stated that with The British negotiators going into each set of negotiations with an attitude of "we will kowtow before you, Mr Barnier in every way you possible throughout these talks" there is no hope of success for the UK. The foregoing are undoubtedly harsh words indeed even from an arch hard line Brexitier, but many believe that there is far more to Rees-Moggs words than just Brexit.

It may well be that this hard line right wing politician has witnessed the way that Jeremy Corbyn has moved the Labour party to the left and now feels he could carry out the same in the Conservative party with the exception of that move being in the opposite direction in regards to political ground.

Evidence to the above can be seen in Rees-Moggs attack on Scottish Conservative Leader Ruth Davison, for in the same interview he stated that Davison should not be allowed to marry her longtime same sex partner as planned. However, same sex marriage legislation was put before parliament and passed in 2013 under the David Cameron coalition government.

In making the above comment Rees-Mogg is undoubtedly looking to damage Ruth Davison, who also is seen as a possible next leader of the Conservative party. That stated, it is also being seen as a move against centre ground Concervatives in parliament.

In the above can be seen shades of Momentum's original moves against centre Blairite MPs in the Labour party.

nigglynellie Mon 04-Jun-18 19:23:29

I shall be watching that programme in about 10 mins annie. Remembering the belegued look on her face during the last interview (that I saw) had a profound effect and I feel that I must support her. I know that doesn't make sense, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Anniebach Mon 04-Jun-18 20:08:58

niggly, she really was a lovely person I met her a few times at party conferences

nigglynellie Mon 04-Jun-18 20:30:43

You could tell that annie by her interviews. If she'd been my MP. I would have voted for her.

bmacca Tue 05-Jun-18 11:24:57

Conservative party members appear impressed with Gove. Maybe he will challenge for the leadership again?

Anniebach Tue 05-Jun-18 12:33:25

So JRM needn’t have moved house grin.

Anniebach Tue 05-Jun-18 12:41:16

niggly I watched the programme and it was upsetting, it also brought memories of a time when the party was together, from local parties to party conferences , those at the top traveled the country meeting party members , it was such a good time ?. Mo Molam gate crashing Welsh night to roars of ‘your not Welsh’ she replied ‘prove I am not ‘ all with laughter .

nigglynellie Tue 05-Jun-18 15:16:52

annie I've just watched as last evening a neighbour called!! and to say that I was deeply moved is an understatement. Tessa herself, her lovely daughter, the young man, the young father, all so very very moving. I am hopeful though, that her death has not been in vain and that more research and advanced treatment will be available in the not too distant future.
I'm still outraged at that 'minutes silence'. Are these people totally ignorant or just downright cruel?! and now I see that odious Macdonnell man has applauded the slur on the Police!! Dear God, whatever next!!

Anniebach Tue 05-Jun-18 16:15:16

niggly , and I have constant demands to praise these people , I will not and cannot