Gransnet forums

News & politics

rump's trade wars

(33 Posts)
varian Sat 02-Jun-18 10:32:19

Donald Trump is imposing a 25% tariff on imported steel and 10% on auminium.

A Newsweek report published in 2016 found Trump used cheap Chinese steel and aluminum in two of his recent construction projects and went to great lengths to cover his tracks. Donald Trump turned his back on the U.S. steel and aluminum industries but, somehow, is claiming to be its savior. -

"Donald Trump used Chinese steel and aluminum. The United States has a long history of producing high-quality steel and aluminum, but Trump chose Chinese manufacturers in at least two of his recent construction projects. The Trump International Hotel Las Vegas and the Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago both used tons of Chinese metals. The origin of the steel used was obscured. The origin of the steel used to build the Trump hotel in Las Vegas was hidden through a tangle of “various corporate entities, including holding companies registered in the British Virgin Islands," a popular location for offshore entities who place a premium on, ahem, discretion.

Trump spent at least $350 million on Chinese aluminum. Newsweek estimated Trump used 207,000 feet of Chinese aluminum for the Trump hotel in Chicago. Conservative estimates based on pound per foot means at least $350 million in sales went to a subsidiary of a Chinese aluminum manufacturer. This, when the American aluminum industry is collapsing. In the past two years, “more than half of the country’s aluminum smelters in states like Ohio, West Virginia and Texas have closed as a result of being undercut on price by competition from overseas.”

aflcio.org/2016/10/12/six-facts-donald-trumps-use-chinese-steel

This report was published before the presidential election, and yet huge numbers of "rustbelt" voters still chose Trump!!!

mimiro Thu 28-Jun-18 20:30:09

rump has been screwing americans for many decades.nothing new.
the only reason we got more hurricane protection this year is a majority of his businesses and personal homes(estates in florida,penthouse in ny and whatever else hes got hidden away) are on the regular hurricane path and he wants in on the $$$$$$$.
having a gameshow host for a president sucks and we have 2 more years of this if they don't get rid of him.

Fennel Thu 28-Jun-18 20:33:54

mimiro - please post more of your American views on here. We need a balanced view. smile.

varian Tue 03-Jul-18 20:18:50

Big business and the GOP (Republican Party) are declaring war on Trump’s trade agenda

www.vox.com/world/2018/7/3/17530516/chamber-commerce-trump-tariffs-trade-war-china

varian Tue 03-Jul-18 20:22:12

President Donald Trump is now at full-scale war over trade policy with some of the Republican Party’s staunchest allies in big business, including executives at iconic American brands such as General Motors and Harley-Davidson who previously shied away from criticizing an often irascible president.

Trump’s approach has created a high-stakes showdown without recent political precedent: A Republican president betting that his populist approach to trade will thrill his working-class base and blow away any short-term economic fallout or reduced political support from the nation’s largest business organizations. His message to corporate America so far: I don’t care what you say, my base is with me.

www.politico.com/story/2018/07/03/trump-war-corporate-america-harley-davidson-666926

Lazigirl Wed 04-Jul-18 10:22:11

Is anyone going to the Trump protest rally in London on 13th July?

mimiro Wed 04-Jul-18 14:22:40

fennel sorry went off to do yard work and the heat wiped me out.just wrote a huge post and it disappearred.today is our 4th of july celebration.
will be having all the family,my mom calls us the league of nations.scots,irish,dutch,american indians,asian indians,columbian,mexican,polynesian,creole,blacks of african descent,and welcoming a new bride from japan.my fridge and kitchen are filling up with an amazing variety of food.trying not to dig into the empanadas.columbian sil is a caterer.
this is what america is supposed to be about,not an overgrown toddler destroying it all.
i will probably be back after all this is over.
to any from the usa here and abroad happy 4th

varian Wed 04-Jul-18 17:02:31

Happy Independence Day to you, mimiro and all the good folk like you in the USA. Least said about your president, the better.