Gransnet forums

News & politics

Lewisham bi election

(14 Posts)
varian Sat 16-Jun-18 10:40:20

I suspect the low turnout in this by-election had a lot to do with the fact that it was a "safe seat" for Labour. Even so the LibDems did remarkably well.

Under FPTP the only by-elections which can make a real difference are those in marginal seats where every vote counts.

Grandad1943 Fri 15-Jun-18 14:42:04

Mostlyharmless, Brexit most definitely is tearing both the labour and Conservative parties apart to their foundations. However, the problem is that the effects seem to be far worse with the Conservatives and they are the party of government at present.

With Britain due to leave the European Union in March of next year, many businesses, both large and small do not know how to plan for the future with no terms of leaving even being on the horizon.

The Liberal Democrats with their clear stance of Britain remaining within the European Union could now attract many who feel that they just want an end to this whole ridiculous situation.

I believe that perhaps just one victory in a by-election could be the trigger that begins to "turn things around" for the Lib Dems and Britain as a whole. However, time would seem to be now getting short for any new solution to come about in this sorry Brexit tale

mostlyharmless Fri 15-Jun-18 13:48:56

The Brexit issue seems to be tearing both Labour and Conservatives apart.
The Libdems seem to be benefitting from their strong clear Remain stance. But still not benefitting enough to actually gain the seat.

Anniebach Fri 15-Jun-18 12:57:59

The leadership of the Labour Party was decided in 2015

Grandad1943 Fri 15-Jun-18 10:49:24

Day6, let's face it, both the Labour Party and the Conservative Party are in total disarray and turmoil.

The Conservative Party you could scarcely call a "party" at this point in time, and the Labour Party have many who are still fighting the battle of leadership which should have been decided several years ago .

Day6, it was turmoil inside the Conservative Party which has brought Britain to the "near brink of disaster" many feel it is in now.

The Labour Party in kind seem to have no answers to the problems the Conservative Party has brought us all to.

Being partisan and blaming one party will not resolve the biggest problems that Britain has faced since the Second World War.

Day6 Fri 15-Jun-18 10:13:30

Lewisham is a poor London borough with lots of hardship.

It does seem that apathy rules Maw.

So much for the far left stronghold. Politicians spouting their concerns and promising the earth tend to be ineffective once elected, and like most, of all political persuasions, full of hot air and self importance. It's a cushy career which depends on them saying the right things at the right time. Do they still kiss babies to aid their election chances? grin

Cynical? Moi?

Anniebach Fri 15-Jun-18 10:12:41

I wonder if the treatment of Heidi Alexander by Corbyn affected the labour vote , she was a very popular MP.

MawBroon Fri 15-Jun-18 10:05:58

“Onebody”? grin
“Somebody” of course!

MawBroon Fri 15-Jun-18 10:05:24

So surely if the electorate are muttering “a plague on both your houses” now is the time for the LibDems to be heard and make their presence felt?
One by- election may not make a summer, but a resounding victory from a half decent turnout might have made onebody sit up and take notice.

Grandad1943 Fri 15-Jun-18 09:57:11

By elections always have low turnouts, but I believe that the UK population in general are "fed up to the back teeth' with our political parties and politicians in general.

They're behaviour in the House of Commons is disgusting and in regards to brexit neither main party seems to have any answer to how Britain gets itself out of the Dilemma we now seem to be in.

Again, I believe it is not apathy but total confusion in the vast majority of the population which could be seen only too well on Question Time last night

M0nica Fri 15-Jun-18 09:51:18

As a LibDem and a Remainer, I am delighted with the result. However, I find the very low turnout, even for a by-election, very depressing. It shows that the alienation of the electorate from the political process has been very little affected by the surge of populism in the Labour party.

MawBroon Fri 15-Jun-18 09:50:31

Sounds like an overwhelming victory for the Apathy party then.
33% when it is 100 years since (some) women won the right to vote and presumably some men reserved the same right.
Now 67% just don’t care.
?

Grandad1943 Fri 15-Jun-18 09:47:11

Well, with the state of both Labour and the Conservative parties in regard to Brexit, if the Liberal Democrat's cannot gain electoral share now they never will.

Anniebach Fri 15-Jun-18 09:08:21

Labour down 17%, Libs up 19%. Very low turnout 33%