News & politics

Question Time

(42 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Mon 18-Jun-18 08:25:24

So, Mr Dimbleby is going.
Who will take over?
Please not Jeremy Vine.

gillybob Mon 18-Jun-18 08:34:09

Thank goodness he’s going I can’t stand him but I do like the QT format . He is so blatantly bias and such a snob . There’s talk of it being a woman who takes over . I agree with you Pamela not Jeremy ( I like the sound if my own voice) Vine.

yggdrasil Mon 18-Jun-18 08:35:40

Who cares? They have picked panel members, and an engineered audience. It would make more sense if they had Any Answers for the whole hour and a quarter. You get some weird views there, but at least they are the personal views of the callers, not those toeing the party line.

Anniebach Mon 18-Jun-18 08:41:04

I am surprised he wants to return to reporting, thought at 80 he would want to retire.

Greyduster Mon 18-Jun-18 08:46:40

Hurray!!

paddyann Mon 18-Jun-18 08:51:42

Another pleased he's going .I have friends who were turned down for QT after answering that they were SNP supporters...yet got on ...eventually when they said they voted tory.The audience is always scewed towards whatever he's pushing for the government.,Hence the rise and rise of Farage .who was on QT numerous times .even before anyone knew who he was,getting his Brexit message out.To be honest the whole BBC needs to go or to stop braodcasting political programmes that way we wont get just the biased views that sway audiences who dont have any other means of gaining (true) information

PamelaJ1 Mon 18-Jun-18 08:56:59

Annie , I think that being in the media is like a drug to some people.
Maybe he’d just be a non-person if he just enjoyed life. Sorry I got that wrong. He must be enjoying it. The money, the status......etc.

Anniebach Mon 18-Jun-18 09:02:18

True Pamela, just reporting would mean more work QT is only once a week.

Iam64 Mon 18-Jun-18 09:04:37

The audience is selected in a way that tries to balance various political views.
I do not see Dimbledong as a snob, he's typical of men of his age and dare I say class.
Not Jeremy Vine please. He's a Londoncentric, self satisfied little * who is sarcastic, patronising and disdains the audience of his mid day show on Radio 2. Plus his voice, awful.
Let's have a woman, Victoria Derbyshire along with numerous other female presenters would be good candidates.

PamelaJ1 Mon 18-Jun-18 09:26:33

I think he is in a position to choose what he does and how often. He probably won’t do much.

kittylester Mon 18-Jun-18 09:55:40

What Iam said.

henetha Mon 18-Jun-18 10:00:52

Well, I like David even if nobody else does. But I am hoping that it will be Jeremy Paxman who takes over, he's always interesting and watchable even if he is ... er... a bit tetchy at times!

Anniebach Mon 18-Jun-18 10:01:56

I think the panel is always balanced , thought the audience was checked too but as Paddyann said she had friends who were accepted in the audience after they lied then the audience can’t be checked.

merlotgran Mon 18-Jun-18 10:13:42

Another one here who hopes it's not Jeremy Vine. He's everywhere.

Hopefully a woman will take it on.

Anniebach Mon 18-Jun-18 10:17:02

Kirsty Wark and Emily Maitlis may be in the running

Parsley3 Mon 18-Jun-18 10:21:20

Perhaps they will go for a different guest presenter each week when DD goes. It works well for Have I Got News For You. There are lots of political presenters available, such as Victoria, already mentioned, James Naughtie, Sarah Smith, Jo Coburn. Someone with a bit of gravitas would be good.

varian Mon 18-Jun-18 12:13:02

"Step forward Alison Fuller Pedley job title ‘Audience Producer at BBC Question Time’, and member of the British Patriotic Front Facebook group. She also promotes ‘Britain First’ online."

www.facebook.com/cpbfreedom/posts/1155709694524420

The audience bias has been quite extreme. I watched one programme where they were in an area which had voted 75% Remain, and the audience members were said all to be under thirty, a group which also strongly favoured Remain, and yet the audience seemed to be packed with "yaboo" angry Leavers. Only one young woman backed the Remain arguments.

Alison Fuller Pedley, who has associated with many right wing groups, has been audience selector for many years. As if it wasn't bad enough having people like Farage appear time and time again on the panel, the audiences have also been selected in a very unbalanced way. If this woman is still doing that job, she should go too.

muffinthemoo Mon 18-Jun-18 12:24:43

The audience has turned into a freak parade in recent years. There’s always at least two questions from swivel eyed extremists that leave the panel and the TV audience completely stumped for a moderate and reasonable response.

There’s also at least one panellist each week who is at best a ‘useful idiot’ and at worst a member of the lunatic fringe of the political class.

It’s turning into the Big Brother of politics. Who cares about the quality, let’s make people angry on Twitter! Soshul meeja amirite??!!

sodapop Mon 18-Jun-18 12:39:53

I'm guessing you don't like question time then muffin smile

I agree it would be good to have a female presenter but one who can do the job not just for the sake of diversity.

muffinthemoo Mon 18-Jun-18 12:45:24

I never miss it soda grin

annodomini Mon 18-Jun-18 13:02:17

I gave up watching QT long ago because it was simply too predictable. Whatever topic was headlining on that day was usually done to death in exactly the terms one would expect by both the panel and the audience members.

humptydumpty Mon 18-Jun-18 13:19:58

I did like the audience member last week who said (of Dominic Grieve and Isabelle Oakshotte(?) along the lines of he would be more inclined to believe (even) a Conservative lawyer than a tabloid hack - best moment in whole program IMO!

varian Mon 18-Jun-18 14:06:34

I agree Humpty I had exactly the same thought when I heard that.

lemongrove Mon 18-Jun-18 14:11:18

muffin grin I have thought the same for a long time, I never bother to watch it at all now.

muffinthemoo Mon 18-Jun-18 18:36:04

Oakeshott was paid to write a book that accused the Prime Minister, on no evidence, of fornicating with a pig.

She is as serious a political commentator as Perez Hilton. I understand she is put on as a prominent woman amongst the Leavers, but is there not someone else whose work is respectable that can be asked on?

Where has Gisela Stuart gone? There are other women Leavers, are there not? Does it have to be Oakeshott?