PamelaJ1 Mon 18-Jun-18 08:25:24

So, Mr Dimbleby is going.
Who will take over?
Please not Jeremy Vine.

muffinthemoo Wed 20-Jun-18 20:55:45

Julia *** Hartley-Brewer??

Is someone having a *** laugh??

Iam64 Wed 20-Jun-18 20:17:02

Well, let's hope that the Daily Express has no influence varian. Julia H-B is an absolute nightmare imo.

varian Wed 20-Jun-18 17:47:45

The Daily Express has suggested that Julia Hartley-Brewer might make a good QT chairman.

In 2016, she supported Britain leaving the European Union during the EU referendum.

Just what we want- an unbiased chairman???????

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TznJaGJX-J8

varian Wed 20-Jun-18 17:40:36

If you find it difficult to believe how the QT audience is selected, just look at this.

"Question Time: Audience member claims that someone like President Donald Trump may be needed to take over the Brexit negotiations, and the MP's should 'get their act together' and get rid of the negativity in parliament."

www.express.co.uk/videos/542846/QT-Audience-member-says-Brexit-needs-someone-like-Trump

POGS Wed 20-Jun-18 10:42:07

A good time for Question Time to look at it's format.

I just want somebody with the ability to 'control' both the panel and audience and for the panel to consist of equal numbers of left/right voices which is blatantly not the case . The chair, whomever he/she may be , must be devoid of showing bias.

Who could carry it off ? No idea but it needs somebody who does not like the sound of their own voice and opinions and that is hard to find.

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Jun-18 19:39:29

or a Martha

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Jun-18 19:38:49

A Kirsty would be good

Iam64 Tue 19-Jun-18 18:49:30

Yes I'm sure they could MaizieD. It would be a different experience for the audience at home and in the QT venue. I wonder if it would be as different as the JV show is when Venessa presents it. That is, better, more informative, more enjoyable and less polarised/patronised.

MaizieD Tue 19-Jun-18 18:44:28

Why not, indeed, Iam64. I think any of those would do an excellent job. But could they overcome the 'packed' audience?

Iam64 Tue 19-Jun-18 18:33:23

Jalima, you are so right, not a Jeremy, maybe a Victoria, a Martha, a Kirsty

GillT57 Tue 19-Jun-18 18:32:08

Not Jeremy Vine, not Jeremy Paxman. What about Jack Dee with a bit of ironic eye rolling at the more lunatic members of the panel and audience? grin

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Jun-18 14:40:44

Who, me?
Now who should replace Dimplebum (as my friend used to called him - affectionately of course).

Now, who would be impartial, gives each speaker the same amount of time without letting them drone on and on, stops them interrupting each other ..... hmm
I have no idea, sorry, varian, but definitely not a Jeremy.

varian Tue 19-Jun-18 13:22:47

What do you think about the various candidates to replace Dimbleby?

Jalima1108 Mon 18-Jun-18 23:08:51

Thank you Cari - I will try to start the thread tomorrow unless someone has done it first.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 18-Jun-18 20:02:37

Jalima1108

Sorry to hi-jack this thread but I was trying to Start a New Discussion under News and Politics and don't seem able to do so.

Is anyone else having problems?
GNHQ - please?

Hmmm yes there does seem to be an issue - we have got tech on the case

varian Mon 18-Jun-18 19:17:19

Isabel Oakeshott – a long-standing Brexit supporter who has close links to the Conservative donor Lord Ashcroft – has, by her own admission, been aware of emails since the end of last year.

“It was always my intention to publish this information,” Oakeshott has insisted, in the face of accusations she chose to sit on potentially explosive information for political reasons.

The ultimate source for the material was Banks himself, after he employed Oakeshott, a former political editor of the Sunday Times, during summer 2016 to ghostwrite a diary-style account of the referendum entitled The Bad Boys of Brexit.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/11/profile-isabel-oakeshott-and-the-bad-boys-of-brexit

Jalima1108 Mon 18-Jun-18 19:03:59

Sorry to hi-jack this thread but I was trying to Start a New Discussion under News and Politics and don't seem able to do so.

Is anyone else having problems?
GNHQ - please?

muffinthemoo Mon 18-Jun-18 18:36:04

Oakeshott was paid to write a book that accused the Prime Minister, on no evidence, of fornicating with a pig.

She is as serious a political commentator as Perez Hilton. I understand she is put on as a prominent woman amongst the Leavers, but is there not someone else whose work is respectable that can be asked on?

Where has Gisela Stuart gone? There are other women Leavers, are there not? Does it have to be Oakeshott?

lemongrove Mon 18-Jun-18 14:11:18

muffin grin I have thought the same for a long time, I never bother to watch it at all now.

varian Mon 18-Jun-18 14:06:34

I agree Humpty I had exactly the same thought when I heard that.

humptydumpty Mon 18-Jun-18 13:19:58

I did like the audience member last week who said (of Dominic Grieve and Isabelle Oakshotte(?) along the lines of he would be more inclined to believe (even) a Conservative lawyer than a tabloid hack - best moment in whole program IMO!

annodomini Mon 18-Jun-18 13:02:17

I gave up watching QT long ago because it was simply too predictable. Whatever topic was headlining on that day was usually done to death in exactly the terms one would expect by both the panel and the audience members.

muffinthemoo Mon 18-Jun-18 12:45:24

I never miss it soda grin

sodapop Mon 18-Jun-18 12:39:53

I'm guessing you don't like question time then muffin smile

I agree it would be good to have a female presenter but one who can do the job not just for the sake of diversity.

muffinthemoo Mon 18-Jun-18 12:24:43

The audience has turned into a freak parade in recent years. There’s always at least two questions from swivel eyed extremists that leave the panel and the TV audience completely stumped for a moderate and reasonable response.

There’s also at least one panellist each week who is at best a ‘useful idiot’ and at worst a member of the lunatic fringe of the political class.

It’s turning into the Big Brother of politics. Who cares about the quality, let’s make people angry on Twitter! Soshul meeja amirite??!!