Gransnet forums

News & politics

That £20bn - jam tomorrow

(42 Posts)
winterwhite Mon 18-Jun-18 09:11:05

Am I the only one to be more dismayed than pleased? This announcement reeks of cynicism. The crucial last two words of ‘£20bn per year *by 2023*’ are allowed to drop neatly off most sound bites, but how many £bn this year and next is what we most want to know. And what about social care, at breaking point already because the govt can’t bring itself to pass more funding to local councils? Nothing there at all it seems.
It sounds like a continued starvation diet all round, deliberately tinselled up to look like fairyland.

maryeliza54 Mon 18-Jun-18 18:44:45

I heard a consultant on the radio today saying with advances in surgical techniques he can now operate on 85 year olds and they could be discharged after 48 hours but they are still there two weeks later because of lack of social care provision.

winterwhite Mon 18-Jun-18 18:48:16

Much of the admin waste and overcharging incl lightbulbs presumably came from the Carillion contract, don’t forget.

alreadytaken Mon 18-Jun-18 20:31:48

hmm, googled it - it's the cost being charged by private contractors that hospitals are forced to use because of the private finance initiative. Always thought that was a daft idea - and that it was followed up by further involving private companies (shakes head in amazement).

Still dislike that being termed as waste in the NHS because it's not something over which most people working for the NHS have any control. Once you sign a daft contract with the private sector you are stuck with it - unless you introduce a windfall tax on their profits.

The government is STILL doing PFI www.gov.uk/government/publications/private-finance-2-pf2 because of cause the private sector is so wonderful.

So the "waste in the NHS" is profiteering by private companies.

yggdrasil Tue 19-Jun-18 08:41:44

lemongrove: already there have been many examples of waste right throughout the NHS, small items costing a fortune ( £10 a roll of sellotape, £100 for a lightbulb etc) and many accounting errors, paying a supplier £2,000 instead of £200
This may seem small beer to some, but if this is replicated in all hospitals constantly it adds up to a huge amount. There will be other examples of waste on a larger scale I expect, where practices needs to be changed.

We once had a National Health Service. Now we have a lot of separate trusts, in the name of competition! They all do their own resourcing, and the administrative costs of treating someone in a different trust are high.
I live in Somerset, but my nearest and most acessible, hospital is at Weston, which is in North Somerset. I have mostly got myself registered there for certain ailments, but last week I had to go to the other side of Taunton. And that was lucky, the alternative would be Shepton Mallet. Go check the maps!

maryeliza54 Tue 19-Jun-18 10:05:43

I wish all my CCG had to care about was the cost of light bulbs or sellotape - they are currently having to pay Virgin Healthcare hundreds of thousands of pounds for not renewing their children’s services contracts. And so are other CCG in the area. I’d love to see what awarding all these private contracts costs - including this latest fiasco, the private providers who have simply walked away from a service before the end of the contract leaving the local trust to pick up the pieces, the admin costs for the NHS in having to go out to tender etetc - but we certainly won’t be able to access most of this information

winterwhite Tue 19-Jun-18 10:37:29

It’s good that the Cons party is thinking of raising general taxation. Let’s hope that fair and balanced (why does TM always use two adjectives) will mean heaviest burden on those most able to pay.
The 10 year plan is also good news, tho a bit late to ask for it with yr 1 starting soon. Discussion and consultation could easily take three years...
Good to see emphasis on mental health at last - about time too.
Meanwhile where does this now leave other impoverished services incl and esp education?? Any tax increase left for them?confused

paddyann Tue 19-Jun-18 12:25:35

didn't Mrs May take 22billion away from the NHS a few years ago ..or rather her party did.So she's not even replacing what she took and everyone is expected to be jubilant about it ?

nigglynellie Tue 19-Jun-18 13:55:18

A link please paddyann?

alreadytaken Tue 19-Jun-18 18:07:06

where to start - how about this one www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nhs-budget-cuts-uk-government-conservatives-capital-theresa-may-jeremy-hunt-costs-maintenance-a8211226.html

Then take a look at www.ifs.org.uk/uploads/R143.pdf#page=22

and you'll see that the Blair/Brown government had to give the NHS large increases to make up for years of underfunding beofre the coalition and then Conservative governments than cut it back again.

The " increase" in funding in those years was not enough to keep up with growth in an aging population.

lemongrove Tue 19-Jun-18 18:09:06

paddyann you may ( or may not) have a suberb service healthwise in Scotland, but here in England we can see that the NHS is under a great strain.Jubilant may be an OTT word but I suspect most people are really pleased that a lot of money will now be poured into our hospitals and health services.

suzied Tue 19-Jun-18 18:16:04

We’re well, down the list of similar countries in terms of how much we spend on health care, number of health care professionals and so on. No one objects to more money being spent I’m sure. It’s money which shouldn’t have been taken away in the first place.

GillT57 Tue 19-Jun-18 18:24:40

This was an ill-considered statement with no details to back it up, and I felt rather embarrassed for TM as it was announced. There is NO BREXIT BONUS, in fact, there is a Brexit cost, but I know a few on here will still be clinging on to the side of a bus manifesto despite the often repeated facts. The idea of announcing this much needed transfusion of cash into the NHS without being able to explain where the money will come from, or even how much it will be, was foolish in the extreme and backfired badly. One of the more obvious ways of helping the NHS in crisis would be better funding of Social Care which as we all know, would free beds for more patients. We all know this, so why is this not being tackled? Hunt is now in charge of Health and Social Care so why can't he join the dots?

alreadytaken Tue 19-Jun-18 18:34:49

Whether Brexit can deliver long term remains to be seen but having a government that has the negotiation skill of a 3 year old doesnt help.

Taxes need to rise to pay for better health care, rather than tax cuts to give more money to those who have enough already.

I benefit from conservative tax cuts - still opposed to them and happy to pay for a better health service.

varian Tue 19-Jun-18 19:58:21

It depends what you mean by "the long term" alreadytaken.

In the long term we're all dead.

I cannot believe that brexit could possibly ever be anything other than an unmitigated disaster, but whatever happens the inheritors of Rupert Murdoch, Paul Dacre, Nigel Farage, Aaron Banks et al will probably re-write history.

alreadytaken Thu 21-Jun-18 18:48:30

If the tories couldnt fool most of the people most of the time they wouldnt be in power. So what's new?

If you voted for austerity and voted for a referendum then you voted for Brexit.

varian Fri 22-Jun-18 16:04:00

House of Fraser has been given approval by creditors to close 31 of its 59 stores, resulting in up to 6,000 job losses.

news.sky.com/story/house-of-fraser-the-full-list-of-stores-that-will-close-11397211

It is obvious that retailers have faced a perfect storm, having to compete with online offers, social and technological change, but the austerity policies of recent years, combined with the uncertainty over brexit and the threat of tax rises to pay for it, can't have helped.