Gransnet forums

News & politics

Zara Tindall

(57 Posts)
merlotgran Tue 19-Jun-18 13:58:29

Has had a baby girl weighing 9lb 3oz.

Really pleased for them. I think they're a lovely family.

pollyperkins Sat 30-Jun-18 14:27:02

Well I think names skip a couple of generations. Very few in my age group had the names of my aunts and uncles (Winnie,Victor,Joyce, Doris, Stanley, Cyril etc) or my grandparents and their generation (Ernest, Ethel, Albert, Annie, Ada,Sybil)
Many of these names are now coming back but the ones common in my generation are still rare in young children (Such as Susan, Christine, Margaret,Maureen, Gwen, Valerie, Trevor, Alan etc)
No doubt our great grandchikdren will rediscover them!
Of course some names like Elizabeth, Anne, William and Thomas seem to be always in fashion!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 30-Jun-18 14:14:24

My GD is Violet Florence which I think is lovely (but I am biased) She is only 1 year old????

Menopaws Sat 30-Jun-18 13:58:29

I had a great aunt called Lyd who my dad called Sospan Lyd, took me years to work it out!

annsixty Sat 30-Jun-18 13:54:36

I'm sure we all had an Aunty Gladys, mine was very nice but I wouldn't want it for a baby.
I had Aunties named Winnie, Hetty, Gladys, Sabina , Ellen Miriam, Annie and Frances
Uncles Jack, William, Thomas, Aston, Ernest, Stanley, Harry and George .
I am surprised some are still in fashion.

pollyperkins Sat 30-Jun-18 13:45:22

Oh no, surely not Gladys!! Ive just about come to terms with Arthur,Archie,Freddie, Stanley, Minnie, Ruby, Rose and Grace. But Gladys is a step too far!

Marmight Sat 30-Jun-18 13:29:58

Menopaws grin

Menopaws Sat 30-Jun-18 01:18:48

We have youngish Arthur Betty and Fred in one family, just need a Wilma and we've got the flintstones

grannyactivist Sat 30-Jun-18 01:09:43

I like the old fashioned names, but was rather surprised recently to find not one, but two four year old Dorothy's in my grandson's circle. Elsie, Esme, Polly, Martha, Edith, Daisy, Millie, Lillian, Rose and Ruby are all coming back into fashion; names my mother would say were the sort of names housemaids were given. grin
My son and daughter-in-law have just discovered their baby, due in November, is a girl. My daughter-in-law is a teacher so choosing a name is going to be difficult I think.

Beau Fri 29-Jun-18 22:06:05

Times have certainly changed - I never dreamed that DGS would be mixing with Anouk, Noah, Zachary, Caleb and Matilda ?

annsixty Fri 29-Jun-18 21:51:20

My cousin has an Atticus ,always full name, no shortening and now Hermoinie.
He was surprised when I asked him if the parents were Harry Potter fans, he didn't know and hadn't made the connection

Marmight Fri 29-Jun-18 21:45:25

I've just been talking to a friend whose friend has just had a son. They are deliberating between Bertram - Bertie and Atticus - Atti ?
I love the name Seoras, as in 'sure as' which is Gaelic for George. DD decided against it as she felt she, and he, would be forever explaining how to pronounce and spell it!

Jalima1108 Fri 29-Jun-18 20:40:25

I felt like I was teaching my aunts and uncles
grin

Grandma70s Fri 29-Jun-18 06:29:34

My granddaughter (nearly 6) has friends called Albert, Edith, Stanley, Anne, Ivy and Margaret. It is rather nice to see Margaret come back into fashion. There were many Margarets when I was a child, along with Jean and Joan, which do not seem to have come back.

I like names to be fairly traditional, but as unusual
as possible within that limitation. I’m not keen on names like Savannah.

stella1949 Thu 28-Jun-18 23:36:26

My grandson ( 6) plays rugby - his team has a Gilbert, Digby, Alfred , Arthur and George. I always think it sounds like a team of grandfathers !

Greenfinch Thu 28-Jun-18 22:26:12

I always smile when my DGC talk about their friend Albert.
I can't help saying"the lion ate Albert" but they haven't a clue about what I mean.

Purpledaffodil Thu 28-Jun-18 22:16:22

A class of 5 year olds I taught recently included Gladys, Wilfred and Ernie. I felt like I was teaching my aunts and uncles?

mcem Thu 28-Jun-18 21:42:46

And Aiobheann? (Ave een)
I thought Catriona wasn't difficult (cat ree na) so why is it so often pronounced cat rone a?
And if it sounds like Kayleigh why spell it Callie?

Jalima1108 Thu 28-Jun-18 20:36:56

It's pronounced Queeva (Kweevah) annsixty
It's an Irish name

Deedaa Thu 28-Jun-18 20:36:54

DD has spent her whole life with people not being able to pronounce her name - or in some cases tell what sex she was grin When she collected her PhD I did notice that the gentleman announcing the names not only pronounced hers correctly, but was able to read out the title of her thesis correctly (which was more than I could do!)

annsixty Thu 28-Jun-18 19:41:41

How do you pronounce that last one Jalima?

annsixty Thu 28-Jun-18 19:40:16

It is only people who see the written name who will get it wrong. Anyone she is introduced to or are told her name will know how to pronounce it.
I think it is a pretty name.

Jalima1108 Thu 28-Jun-18 19:02:41

Spell it Layna, or Laina; it is no good expecting people to be familiar with foreign pronunciations.
Why not? We are more globalised nowadays!

^ I like the fact that Zara and her brother have chosen pretty modern names for their children rather than the traditional ones favoured by some of the other Royals :Savannah, Isla and Mia.^
They like to be different at Gatcombe

Zara is rather an unconventional name and perhaps the first one in the Royal Family?

Jalima1108 Thu 28-Jun-18 18:58:56

I'm not very keen, but this is not my DGC!
I prefer Helena

but then she could get called 'Hels' hmm

What about Siobhan, Niamh, Padraig,
or Caoimhe?

MawBroon Thu 28-Jun-18 12:33:10

What about Siobhan, Niamh, Padraig, ecetcetc?

MawBroon Thu 28-Jun-18 12:32:30

Elena/Helena- same difference!