Gransnet forums

News & politics

What next from Trump's America?

(212 Posts)
Jalima1108 Tue 19-Jun-18 14:54:54

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44385013?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/c2gzednyvjkt/donald-trumps-mexican-wall&link_location=live-reporting-story

According to the BBC News last night, children of Mexican migrants are being separated from their parents and kept in cages

On Tuesday, the UN called on the US to "immediately halt" the separations.
The UN Human Rights Office's spokeswoman Ravina Shamdasani criticised the policy on Tuesday and said that several hundred children, some as young as one, appeared to have been affected.

US Attorney General Jeff Sessions has defended separating migrant children from their parents at the US border.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44278209?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/c2gzednyvjkt/donald-trumps-mexican-wall&link_location=live-reporting-story
New York Times reported that about 700 children - including 100 under the age of four - had been separated from the adults they were travelling with after entering the US.

M0nica Tue 19-Jun-18 15:44:57

Yes,I have read about this. Reminds me of the way Jewish families were separated when they were taken to the concentration camps. I will not take that analogy any further, because that is as far as the comparison goes.

But the thought process that sees a group of people as not quite human so that parents and children can be separated with out concern and then caged like animals shows us, yet again, there is no level of decent behaviour so basic but Trump will not try to debase it.

CassieJ Tue 19-Jun-18 17:44:38

I think it is appalling the way these children are being treated! They aren't even being given a proper bed and blankets. How can such young children be separated from their parents and left to fend for themselves?
These children aren't criminals, and yet this is how they are being treated. Where is the compassion for them?

I hope that someone with some common sense sorts this very soon.

GillT57 Tue 19-Jun-18 18:04:04

I wonder just what Trump will have to do before he gets prosecuted/impeached/chucked out? So far he has survived; sexual assault (admitted), adultery, fraud, bankruptcy (several), lies and defamation, racism, sexism, nepotism on a grand scale, hypocrisy.........he seems to be untouchable. He just lies and lies and lies, so much so that even silent Melania has spoken about this disgraceful behaviour at the border ( Trump says it is because of a law brought about by Democrats, many, including republicans, say there is no such law). We need to isolate this monster, make him aware that this behaviour is unacceptable in civilised society.

Marthjolly1 Tue 19-Jun-18 18:59:31

I cried last night when I saw those poor children. Just unspeakable cruelty.

Luckygirl Tue 19-Jun-18 19:31:05

So very sad - I feel only despair.

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Jun-18 19:36:47

Even his wife has spoken out against it.

I heard that one was a 14 month old baby and a teenage girl who was also in the cage was trying to look after the baby.

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Jun-18 19:38:04

so much so that even silent Melania has spoken about this disgraceful behaviour at the border
sorry GillT I see you already mentioned that.

Doodle Tue 19-Jun-18 20:53:52

Land of the free, home of the brave....I don't think so. How could anyone believe that taking a toddler from its mother is acceptable behaviour. I can't believe what those poor children are going through.

hildajenniJ Tue 19-Jun-18 21:13:36

I have just read that the USA is to withdraw from the UN Human Rights Council.
Why does this not surprise me? sad

maryeliza54 Tue 19-Jun-18 21:24:12

I just don’t know what to say - there are no words but still he will be coming next month and we’re supposed to see past him and his evil and focus on the office he holds.

absent Tue 19-Jun-18 23:44:28

maryeliza54 If the current President himself has no respect for the office of President – and he clearly doesn't – then it is not reasonable to expect others to respect it.

maryeliza54 Tue 19-Jun-18 23:56:06

I agree absent

Marthjolly1 Wed 20-Jun-18 00:21:55

Yes Absent. Very true. But why oh why is such a moron holding the most important position of power in the world. Beggars belief.

NfkDumpling Wed 20-Jun-18 05:34:00

He seems to have absolute power and I understood that one of the advantages of a democracy was that this doesn’t happen. That one person would never have that sort of power. It’s getting scary.

There are those now in the US who believe that the next election won’t happen and that he’ll stay in power.

absent Wed 20-Jun-18 07:11:46

NFKDumpling I think everything, including the immediate future of the USA, depends upon the mid-term elections in November. If there is a "blue tide" and the Democrats dominate the House and Senate, then the checks and balances of the Constitution will come into play. If there is still a sizeable Republican presence, dealing with "the man who would be king" will be much trickier. It is worrying.

NfkDumpling Wed 20-Jun-18 07:54:16

I’d forgotten the mid-terms. Fingers crossed!

Luckygirl Wed 20-Jun-18 08:13:34

There was a bloke on Today just now defending the US actions and saying that the UNHRC is a corrupt organisation containing people who have themselves perpetrated human rights violations; and that the children being detained are being held in humane circumstances. He seemed to think that as long as they were being fed, being separated from their parents was not inhumane. He said there would be no change of policy. This regime seems to do just what it fancies.

absent Wed 20-Jun-18 08:28:21

Luckygirl I think the UNHRC leaves a lot to be desired. At some time, I think, they appointed a Saudi Arabian political figure to be Chairman or some other senior position – what a joke.

On the other had, US actions in separating families is unforgivable and utterly appalling. Simply separating children from their parents is inhumane and deeply cruel in the first place. A child did tell a journalist that they were given an apple and some water – so being "fed" is questionable. These children are being held hostage to a megalomaniac's ego because he wants to build his wall! That's just about as wrong as it gets.

Bridgeit Wed 20-Jun-18 08:54:36

Any miniscual understanding of this man & his behaviours,has now totally gone. What he has done is totally, totally unacceptable. He should be removed from office.

micmc47 Wed 20-Jun-18 09:33:25

I feel so sorry for my many American friends, none of whom support Trump, yet their Nation is being degraded by his disgraceful, xenophobic behaviour. Sadly, despite his many outrages in so many areas, Trump seems untouchable. What will it take to bring this evil man down? Depressing.

trisher Wed 20-Jun-18 09:40:14

They should stop his visit now and if they don't we should make sure that wherever he goes there are demonstrations to show how much we condemn this action.

MawBroon Wed 20-Jun-18 09:42:08

Heartbreaking.

Luckygirl Wed 20-Jun-18 09:45:47

The UK government is between a rock and a hard place. If they cancel the visit it will be seen as an insult, and goodness knows what havoc DT might reek on our economy. If they let the visit go ahead and public demonstrations vociferously insult him wherever he goes, the outcome will be the same.

He has us (and the rest of the world) over a barrel.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 20-Jun-18 10:13:12

Terrible to separate young children from families and put them in cages, like animals.

Unfortunately he is carrying out everything he vowed to do in his election campaign. Middle America still think he is great for putting America first. Whilst East and West Coast find him an appalling human being.