Gransnet forums

News & politics

What next from Trump's America?

(213 Posts)
Jalima1108 Tue 19-Jun-18 14:54:54

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44385013?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/c2gzednyvjkt/donald-trumps-mexican-wall&link_location=live-reporting-story

According to the BBC News last night, children of Mexican migrants are being separated from their parents and kept in cages

On Tuesday, the UN called on the US to "immediately halt" the separations.
The UN Human Rights Office's spokeswoman Ravina Shamdasani criticised the policy on Tuesday and said that several hundred children, some as young as one, appeared to have been affected.

US Attorney General Jeff Sessions has defended separating migrant children from their parents at the US border.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44278209?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/c2gzednyvjkt/donald-trumps-mexican-wall&link_location=live-reporting-story
New York Times reported that about 700 children - including 100 under the age of four - had been separated from the adults they were travelling with after entering the US.

Worthingpatchworker Wed 20-Jun-18 10:13:31

Didn't we do the same with the aboriginal children in Australia? We even sent British children to Australia telling them their parents had died and separated them from their siblings.
None of this is right, fair or just.
Compassion gets forgotten.

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Jun-18 10:15:15

I’m sure they won’t cancel but policing the demonstrations will be an issue - they dealt with the Chinese ones quite toughly but the world has moved on from then. They were talking about Chequers, Windsor and Blenheim - maybe they’ll have to change the venues.

NotSpaghetti Wed 20-Jun-18 10:15:57

M0nica is right about Trump and his attitude to others. For a civilised country, the actions in regard to children is deeply wrong on all levels. I’m sure it will be the source of lasting damage to many of these young people.

maryhoffman37 Wed 20-Jun-18 10:32:25

There is no excuse or justification for this whatsoever. He should hang his stupid head in shame.

cassandra264 Wed 20-Jun-18 10:37:45

Agree with you 100%, NotSpaghetti. How many of these little ones who physically survive the trauma of separation from their parents will grow up damaged beyond repair - and perhaps even become open to radicalisation later in their lives?

Gransnet appeals to people of all political persuasions.On this issue, however, we appear to stand together. Let us hope our American counterparts do too, in November.

Patticake123 Wed 20-Jun-18 10:42:42

Like you I am appalled by his actions. It smacks of fascism to me.

trisher Wed 20-Jun-18 10:46:19

If anyone is interested in joining the protest. There are some regional events. You have to look through Twitter feed to find transport help and local events. www.stoptrump.org.uk

Jane43 Wed 20-Jun-18 10:54:58

Sorry for the vague information here but I was half listening to the news this morning, tried to google to find the facts but failed. Trump is considering revoking the no tolerance policy he brought in - he will spin it to put himself in a heroic light no doubt. Demonstrations are ongoing in Washington DC. Yesterday one of his representatives was eating in a MEXICAN RESTAURANT (oh the irony) and demonstrators were outside protesting against this appalling practice. Trump and his cronies are frighteningly appalling.

NfkDumpling Wed 20-Jun-18 10:57:21

Many countries have done horrendous things in the past, including us, Worthing, but we all hope things will improve, values will improve and we will learn from the lessons of the past.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 20-Jun-18 11:00:48

Short memories? Homeland Security Secretary Kirsten Neilson Quote.Both the Obama and Bush democratic administration did the same, albeit in smaller quantities. Does size matter ?Let those without sin cast the first stone.

Margs Wed 20-Jun-18 11:24:08

I just wonder how Trump gets away with it all - it seems he just dishes out some kind of decree and it gets done. Rather as Stalin, Mussolini and Hitler operated and woe betide anyone who questioned their authority.

But isn't he scrutinized by Congress and the Senate? Don't they have to debate and vote on his proposals? How come he seems to have absolute power and no-one to put the brakes on him?

I though the US was supposed to be a democracy.

newnanny Wed 20-Jun-18 11:25:36

Whilst it is bad the children who are being separated from their parents we should not forget it is only happening to illegal immigrants. These people have no legal right to be there and so separating them from their children is presumably a deterrent to illegal immigration. The parents should not be taking their children illegally into another country. The parents must shoulder the responsibility of what happens to their children as they still take them knowing what will happen to them.

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Jun-18 11:25:58

The Obama camp is saying that the difference is they never separated children from parents but did temporarily detain children who arrived unaccompanied whilst trying to trace their families in the States. I also think let he who is without sin etc is utter rubbish.

vbennettuk Wed 20-Jun-18 11:33:30

Why so concerned about what is happening in other countries. We have all sorts of atrocious happening against our own children regarding grooming gangs and female genitalia. We need to put our own house in order and stop interfering about what is happening abroad.

henetha Wed 20-Jun-18 11:33:48

What an appalling man Trump is. He is being barbaric with this policy. I agree that the parents also have responsbility for taking their children into the US illegally, but it isn't the children's fault and yet they are suffering .
I have an American friend who hates Trump and says that all her friends do too. How on earth is he getting away with all this? Why can't they get rid of him? I'm puzzled.

Urmstongran Wed 20-Jun-18 11:41:17

I think Trump represents the USA’s equivalent of a ‘Brexit’ referendum. I find those who voted to ‘Remain’ here on the whole don’t like Trump either. Our country had very divisive vote on whether or not to leave the EU. So did the USA regarding Trump & Clinton. So, as there are many people who don’t like him, there are just as many who do!

tigger Wed 20-Jun-18 11:42:13

But where are the public protests, people marching, there's a lot of noise but no action.

sunseeker Wed 20-Jun-18 11:47:17

Urmstongran - I voted leave but I still don't like Trump - he not only worries me but frightens me too. No matter what anyone's political views, the separating of children from their parents is completely unacceptable. OK they may be in the country illegally but why not keep them all together?

homefarm Wed 20-Jun-18 12:08:31

I agree with Newnanny, this has to be that they are trying to deter others from attempting the same thing, whether it works or not is another matter. At least the children are in a safe place and have food water and some sort of shelter.

trisher Wed 20-Jun-18 12:08:36

Legal, or illegal, all human beings have the right to be treated with proper care and consideration. And yes sometimes our country gets it wrong and people are treated badly, that doesn't mean we shouldn't protest about inhumane treatment in other countries. As for the "he who is without sin" wasn't that meant to save the life of a woman who was being mistreated? using it to justify mistreatment is totally ironic.
And the withdrawal of the US from the UN Human Rights Council only shows that they no longer stand for the protection of the downtrodden.

trisher Wed 20-Jun-18 12:11:38

homefarm a safe place do you know nothing about the vulnerability of young children removed from a caring adult and left to the care of a system which is at best bureaucratic and at worst abusive?

Craftycat Wed 20-Jun-18 12:52:21

Oh I do hope he comes over here for a visit!
Of course he won't as he knows full well there will be a massive display of protesters letting him know what GB thinks of him. I'd be there like a shot!
I must confess I really thought someone would have tried to bump him off by now - unless there have been attempts that have been hushed up
Obnoxious individual.

Jaycee5 Wed 20-Jun-18 13:02:41

It will be interesting to see what happens in November. I have a feeling that Mueller will tread water until then if he does find enough evidence to impeach Trump.
I can't say that I think a great deal of the Democrats either but at least they are a lot better than the Republicans.
It is hard to know what to say about those children's plight. I know how terrified I would have been as a young child and my sister would think that it was her responsibility to protect me. There was one child who was a 10 year old girl with Downs syndrome separated from her parents who was with her brother. When a political pundit raised the case with a Republican, he said 'womp, womp'. That is the mentality of people in charge there. They think it is all a big joke - although there are some who are unexpectantly speaking out like Ted Cruz.

Overthehills Wed 20-Jun-18 13:10:47

An appalling INhuman being.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 20-Jun-18 13:18:34

maryeliza 54 Your comment is laughable were it not such a serious issue. In your book ' detaining' a child without its parents is different to separation. Be it long or short term how was it different..
There are many countries with' background' /history, the UK included. whose people should be the last to cast stones on what Trump is doing.