Gransnet forums

News & politics

This is for *gillybob*

(49 Posts)
maryeliza54 Sun 01-Jul-18 13:04:45

www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nick-abbot/blog/all-aboard-the-gravy-train/

JenniferEccles Tue 03-Jul-18 17:14:52

What an awful situation gillybob. You must all be worried sick.

Just a thought - has the agent suggested an open day to sell the house?

If they got more than one person interested then the offers may go up.

gillybob Tue 03-Jul-18 16:42:31

It is a repayment mortgage .JenniferEccles . The property would need rewiring and a new boiler before it would be habitable plus other repairs and renewals too . Hence the £55k offer . They don’t have any money. Plus ( whilst he is a lovely gentle lad) he is useless and any repairs and maintenance would fall on either me and DH or our son who has enough in his plate already . They really need to sell. As we speak we are looking into various personal loans ( he can’t he one ) but we are are already very much over our lending limit with the business . We Can’t take much more I know that much .

JenniferEccles Tue 03-Jul-18 16:08:40

Is it a repayment or interest only mortgage gillybob?

Are you absolutely sure that renting wouldn't cover the mortgage payments? Is the property in good order? Ok I live in a different area to you (Home Counties) but there is a huge demand for rentals here.

annep Mon 02-Jul-18 18:43:47

Unbelievable gillybob. £400 for that! needs sorting and publicised. wish you luck..

gillybob Mon 02-Jul-18 15:23:01

Yes there is the financial ombudsman nfk which will no doubt be our next step . It won’t change the fact that they have now lost a perfectly reasonable offer though.

NfkDumpling Mon 02-Jul-18 15:15:21

Is there an ombudsman to go to?

You and Yours sounds like the best idea so far.

gillybob Mon 02-Jul-18 15:09:11

The Halifax charged them several hundred pounds for “ a proof of value survey” 3 weeks ago . The so called surveyor said he didn’t need to be in the house he could do it from outside (?????) so basically nearly £400 for a man to pull up outside a house. Apparently they are still analysing his report ( which beggars belief when he didn’t even go in ) . Yet another delaying tactic and rip off from those charmers at the Halifax

Deedaa Mon 02-Jul-18 14:33:07

They told DD they had turned down her mortgage application and then proceeded to hand the keys over to the surveyor (and charge for the survey!) At least she is a very good scene maker and caused mayhem at their local office until she got all her money back. "People are looking at you" said her best friend. "That's the point!" said DD.

annep Mon 02-Jul-18 14:08:36

hear hear Grannypauline

grannypauline Mon 02-Jul-18 12:08:01

Oh dear - a tragic case and even more sadly not the only one these days!

Just in case this helps - only communicate with the evil H via email so you always have a copy and they know it.

Every time they fail to reply forward them the last one with the note: this email has not yet been replied to.

On these emails put cc to CEO, MP, You and Yours, Money Observer, FSA, Serious Fraud Office etc etc. Add as many as you can think of plus the local and national media. Companies hate bad publicity!

Good luck and may the Republic come soon!!

gillybob Mon 02-Jul-18 10:41:17

I told them that in my complaint (rant) Smileless. They have totally ruined what should have been the happiest of times for them .

Smileless2012 Mon 02-Jul-18 10:27:16

I'm so sorry gillybob what a terribly stressful time for them when they have a new baby to look after. It must be sapping all of the enjoyment out of what should be such a wonderful time in their lives.

It makes the nauseating Halifax adverts even more unpalatableangry.

annep Mon 02-Jul-18 10:18:35

I'm in N Ireland. The Halifax once advised me not to take £145k for my house as prices were still going up.. One year later I had to selk for £90k. Good advice!

gillybob Mon 02-Jul-18 09:33:25

It’s horrible to accuse anyone of being a liar isn’t it Deeda but there really is no other way to describe these people at the Halifax . I think they tell so many lies that they can’t keep track of what they have said. Why though? This is what I can’t understand . Collectively ( between 3 of us) we have made upwards of 80 calls to the Halifax in the last 3 months ( all logged) and they haven’t once rang back after promising. Not once . I always get the impression they are having a bit of a laugh in the office at our expense too maybe listening to my DD crying is entertainment.

As for those royals there’s no words to describe them is there? My DD and her partner and babies life is being ruined for £15k ( that they want to pay back) when the royals wouldn’t even get out of bed for 10 times that amount . hmm

Deedaa Mon 02-Jul-18 09:17:54

Halifax obviously haven't changed since DD had dealings with them over 20 years ago. She lost the house she was buying through down right lying on their part although I think she did manage to get the branch manager "removed"

gillybob Mon 02-Jul-18 08:31:28

Full council tax has to be paid on all empty properties in this area . They have even withdrawn the single person discount which is another kick in the teeth . I have complained that he/ they are trying their best sell the property but the LA are having none of it . I even offered them to take the property on ( it was once upon at time a LA property but has changed hands twice since then) .

PamelaJ1 Mon 02-Jul-18 07:10:57

Is the mortgage on the house a repayment one? If so then it may be possible to change it to an interest only. Then they would be able to rent it out and cover the payments.
We have a 60,000 loan on our buy to let and the repayments are £150/month. There should talk to a mortgage advisor if they haven’t already done so. If you need a contact for one please let me know.
I think this has come up before so he may have gone down this road already.

NfkDumpling Mon 02-Jul-18 05:20:40

What a terrible situation I dont think they should be paying council tax on an empty house either.

Nothing as serious as this, but we’ve always had a good response from writing directly to the CEO. In writing, on paper, direct. I’ve always been amazed! And contacting You and Yours is a good suggestion too, I bet this is a common dilemma. And the MP. Although, surprisingly, the MP seem to have less impact.

Eloethan Mon 02-Jul-18 00:54:50

Reading gillybob's story makes me furious too that so much coverage is given which almost diefies the royal family which in the meantime unnecessarily spends vast amounts of money whilst professing to be concerned about issues such as the environment and poverty.

It seems like these banks are in effect "bullying" their customers and the Halifax appears to be no exception. I posted a youtube link recently containing a deposition of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Thames Valley who attended a hearing relating to corruption and unethical behaviour within the finance system. The Commissioner described HBOS's (Halifax Bank of Scotland) treatment of its customers as appalling. Given the Commissioner's scathing remarks, perhaps if all else fails you could cite his remarks in a complaint to the financial ombudsman, detailing the lack of customer care, inflexibility and sheer incompetence of the bank in dealing with an issue which is causing great anxiety and hardship. (Keep a note of all the times you have been misled or promises to contact you have been broken.)

By the way, if one of the houses is empty, should council tax still have to be paid? Or perhaps I have misunderstood.

Might it be worth going to your local MP?

gillybob Sun 01-Jul-18 22:33:47

We’ve tried that thank you grumpa sadly it is not in the best of areas so the rent probably wouldn’t meet the mortgage . I have approached the LA about this. Also it would be another thing by for me and DH to worry about as my D’s partner is not in the slightest bit practical so any repairs / renewals would probably fall on us .

grumppa Sun 01-Jul-18 22:25:49

Any possibility of letting one of the properties and living in the other one?

gillybob Sun 01-Jul-18 21:57:24

Meant to put an “ always “ between you and so !

gillybob Sun 01-Jul-18 21:56:41

What the hell are you talking about eazybee ? They didn’t take a second mortgage out at all . The met each other when they each had a mortgage / property of their own. Why are you so nasty ?

annep Sun 01-Jul-18 21:44:47

Moocow sorry. it's nothing awful. I just find it stressful to listen to all this privileged royal life stuff. So many young families struggling at the minute with two jobs - if they're lucky. No nanny/cook to help either. Affects my own children. just makes my blood boil. Sorry to hear the awful problems some are having. Do follow through on advice. Some of it is very good.

eazybee Sun 01-Jul-18 21:10:14

Why on earth did they take out a second mortgage to buy a second house, before they had sold the first?
They had somewhere to live.