Gransnet forums

News & politics

Liar, liar, pants on fire!

(107 Posts)
GillT57 Wed 04-Jul-18 16:28:39

So, Esther McVey has been forced to apologise to the HoC this afternoon. In the House, they are not permitted to call another member a liar, but that is what she is and she has been found out and exposed as such by the National Audit Office (NAO). This was no misunderstanding, it was deliberate. Lots of reports, choose your source.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/esther-mcvey-apology-misleading-parliament-universal-credit-welfare-programme-secretary-a8430796.htm

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jul/04/esther-mcvey-welfare-secretary-misled-parliament-over-reforms-auditors-say

minesaprosecco Sun 29-Jul-18 12:51:09

Agree, hilda, very well written article highlighting the danger of the acceptance of the untruthful world we live in.

MaizieD Sun 29-Jul-18 13:37:58

Is it possible to read this article without being stopped by the paywall, hilda?

(Actually, you can very often get round it by googling the article's title, so what is its title?)

MaizieD Sun 29-Jul-18 13:41:10

I think this quote might be relevant to your comment, minesaprosecco

The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists. - Hannah Arendt

varian Mon 30-Jul-18 11:03:22

It should be essential to teach everyone- not just children, to question the "news" they hear, whether in the MSM, online or by word of mouth.

This is now far more difficult than it has ever been, and far more important. Just remember that there are people in North Korea who genuinely believe that they are living in the most wonderful country in the world.

Allygran1 Mon 30-Jul-18 13:28:50

Hannah Arendt also said:

Only the mob and the elite can be attracted by the momentum of totalitarianism itself. The masses have to be won by propaganda
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution

This is the precept by which I have lived: Prepare for the worst; expect the best; and take what comes.

knickas63 Mon 30-Jul-18 15:36:29

She won't be sacked thought will she? They just keep getting away with it and people just keep voting for them. I despair!