Gransnet forums

News & politics

Liar, liar, pants on fire!

(106 Posts)
Bridgeit Wed 04-Jul-18 16:56:01

The article shows the severity of it.

GillT57 Wed 04-Jul-18 16:46:52

It was breaking news on Radio 4 this afternoon and the broadcast from the HoC was astonishing as she obfuscated and 'double talked' until your head span! Frank Field very unhappy. It is a sorry state when the NAO has to publicly reprimand a member of Parliament.

GillT57 Wed 04-Jul-18 16:44:51

Sigh. My point is Ally that Ms McVey has today been outed as having deliberately misled/lied to the HoC. Threw it in for discussion. Used links instead of massive pages of cut and paste. Bridgeit understood what I had posted. The point is, she has contravened parliamentary rules regarding how questions are answered, and I was hoping maybe we could discuss it?

Bridgeit Wed 04-Jul-18 16:40:44

If this is correct,then I am not sure that an apology is enough.

Allygran1 Wed 04-Jul-18 16:32:45

Your point is GillT?

GillT57 Wed 04-Jul-18 16:28:39

So, Esther McVey has been forced to apologise to the HoC this afternoon. In the House, they are not permitted to call another member a liar, but that is what she is and she has been found out and exposed as such by the National Audit Office (NAO). This was no misunderstanding, it was deliberate. Lots of reports, choose your source.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/esther-mcvey-apology-misleading-parliament-universal-credit-welfare-programme-secretary-a8430796.htm

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jul/04/esther-mcvey-welfare-secretary-misled-parliament-over-reforms-auditors-say