Gransnet forums

News & politics

Taking their phones off them

(61 Posts)
maryeliza54 Fri 06-Jul-18 07:18:35

It’s come to something hasn’t it when a group of people supposedly running the country and gathering together today to discuss the most important issue affecting this country and it’s future, have to give their phones in because they can’t be trusted. Heaven help us all

POGS Sat 07-Jul-18 10:22:45

Maryeliza

I am ' making a point ' and as for ' rolling your eyes' I used a link to show how bad it gets and it happened to be Labour .

I agree they ALL do it and to my mind it is ignorant and Parliament should revisit the use of them whilst sitting.

Due to potential security risks David Cameron also banned i- pads from cabinet meetings in 2013.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ipads-and-smartphones-banned-from-cabinet-meetings-over-spying-fears-8919719.html

" Smartphones and iPads have been banned from meetings of the Cabinet over fears foreign intelligence services can turn them into bugs without ministers’ knowledge. "
-
Theresa May is reported to have banned Apple watches in 2016 due to possible security risks .

Whilst these bits of information are of no consequence to you and probably a few other posters on the thread it may be of interest to others.

As for the reason why the phones and Apple watches were ' handed in ' will depend on the political stance of the media outlet and if they know this is not a particularly a new story. Others of course may well know this happens but wish to put their own slant on things hoping it resonates with their viewer/listener/reader. That's politics for you.

eazybee Sat 07-Jul-18 10:30:42

Once again, Grandad, you have missed the point.
Your opinions about sewage workers are irrelevant to this discussion.

POGS Sat 07-Jul-18 10:31:28

PS

If you want to stop ' leaks ' taking away phones /i-pads can only work for the duration of the meeting , as many politicians and others have found out to their cost from ALL parties.

Sadly unscrupulous/sh*t stirring behaviour is what it is and if you think it's one party that has the problem then carry on thinking that way.

Grandad1943 Sat 07-Jul-18 10:40:09

POGS, in many organisations mobile phones are" banned" meaning that the owners are told to turn them off on entering a meeting etc. in almost every case people are trusted to turn those devices off but they remain with them for the duration of the prohibited period.

However, in the case of the Cabinet meeting at Chequers yesterday, government ministers attending that meeting were told to "hand in" their mobile devices which would indicate strongly that they were not trusted to not make use of those phones while the meeting was in progress.

These are senior government ministers who cannot be trusted by their own Prime Minister to not undermine her or other persons at that meeting.

Without a doubt, the above demonstrates just what a shambles this government is, being full of backstabbers and many with their own agenda regardless of the country they are supposed to be serving.

POGS Sat 07-Jul-18 11:41:37

Grandad

We will beg to differ:-

" The security services are worried that states including China, Russia, Iran and Pakistan have developed the ability to infect gadgets with a Trojan virus, allowing them to take control of the devices and use them to monitor conversations, EVEN WHEN SWITCHED OFF .

During last week’s Cabinet meeting, iPads used by Francis Maude, the Cabinet Office minister during a presentation, were swiftly cleared out of the room even before discussions could begin, and ministers were told not to touch them beforehand.

In response to the threat, those working in sensitive Government departments have been handed lead-lined soundproof boxes, into which they have been told to put phones and tablets when discussing delicate matters, the Telegraph reported.

Security officials are also concerned by reports that souvenir USB sticks handed to delegates at the G20 summit in St Petersburg may have contained a virus. It is feared the drives may enable Russia’s intelligence agency to hack UK Government computers.

The vast majority of those who enter Number 10 are told to hand in their smartphones to security staff, and only get them back when they leave."
-

To be honest I think it's a perfectly rational, sensible idea .

I understand the voices who describe the cabinet as ' back stabbers ' but if that is the criteria then I suggest that ' leaks' from other political parties that have occurred and been reported about should look at doing the same. They are not the government at the moment though are they and possibly the security services would advise them to the same if in power.

Grandad1943 Sat 07-Jul-18 13:46:22

Oh come on POGS, all industries are concerned in regards to trojans etc affecting mobile devices and causing security leaks around product development etc. However, those industries deal with it and do not ask senior management to "hand in" their devices on arrival at meetings

The sole reason why these Cabinet members were told to hand in their devices was to stop those members tweeting and messaging others outside the meeting and thus stabbing each other in the back.

Simple as that.

Tweedle24 Sat 07-Jul-18 14:03:43

Wondering if anyone saw Oldwoman’s post. I think, like her, it is highly likely that is a security issue. Phones can be hacked by those who would like to make mischief.

lemongrove Sat 07-Jul-18 16:04:46

Good informative posts POGS
Cabinet meetings are not just some office somewhere Grandad1943 so security is of utmost importance.
Leaks from any minister could have occurred at any time
Afterwards, when phones were handed back, so highly doubtful that was the reason.It seems that highly confidential Cabinet meetings always take this precaution, and it seems sensible.

syhemn Tue 10-Jul-18 00:21:15

It’s easy to see your child bent over her phone, thumbs tapping away, and think that she is missing out on “real” communication—the kind you get in person. But all that virtual communication has a positive and developmentally important role.

syhemn Tue 10-Jul-18 00:22:03

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.