Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour gone mad

(89 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 17-Jul-18 08:45:55

They are now deciding on a new definition of anti semitism

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44853391

Iam64 Thu 19-Jul-18 19:06:07

The Palestine issue is important of course. Many Jewish people in Israel and in other countries are as critical of the actions of the Israeli government as the pro Palestinian protesters.
My worry is that criticism of the actions of the Israeli government is becoming conflated with anti semitic views of the state of Israel and of Jewish people all over the world.
I struggle to accept that re-defining the definition of anti semitism to exclude issues accepted world wide, is the most important thing happening in the LP currently. Yesterday we had coverage of Trump/Putin, Brexit Brexit Brexit but the focus of the LP was its re-writing of the definition.
the article by Margaret Hodge in the guardian is worth reading.

Anniebach Thu 19-Jul-18 19:35:24

will they push Margaret out or will that be a step too far for the majority of the MP’s and cause a split , she is much respected in the party , been a Labour MP for 24 years and is Dame Margaret Hodge

Fennel Thu 19-Jul-18 20:23:03

There's more to this than meets the eye.
We're now back living in an Orthodox Jewish community and all those we've spoken to are fearful of Labour, and especially Corbyn, being elected over the conservatives.
The main issue though is education. The current Ofsted mindset is that schools should teach 'British values' which include such things as acceptance of gender variation and all it implies. If these things aren't taught, and excepted, the schools could face closure.
To me this is denial of freedom to follow the principles of our religion. Which is against the Equalities Act 2010.
Even though this comes from a conservative govt. the fear is that Labour would reinforce it.
It could be that this was originally aimed at Muslims, but Jews are being affected too. Also probably Catholics and some C of E schools.

PECS Thu 19-Jul-18 20:43:23

We are a secular society and so our National Curriculum is just that...not an option for any religious group to decide what they cherry pick to teach in schools. Any religious group is free to teach its own nonsense in their places of worship...but trouble with that is I bet few Gransnetters would support any extremist views. I know that Jewish/Muslim/Christian fundamentalists preach separatism and negative attitudes to gender and sexual orientation. Can't pick and choose which religions can promote their cranky views .. it's all or none!

Fennel Thu 19-Jul-18 20:54:53

"Can't pick and choose which religions can promote their cranky views .. it's all or none!"
No - this country has been known for it's tolerance and acceptance of other races and religions for many years.
Apart from that, what Ofsted are threatening is illegal. Not just under the Equalities Act, but from other legislation which gives parents rights to decide on what is taught to their children.

Anniebach Thu 19-Jul-18 21:00:45

We Christians have to accept the cranky views of some atheists

PECS Thu 19-Jul-18 21:00:57

Oh re the Labour Party: I understand there was never disagreement on the core statement of the Holocaust Remembrance document. They were discussing the guidance notes and wanted to make them absolutely clear.

Rather than using rational argument to oppose the leadership of JC the Blairites are using the type of smear campaigns we all despise and sowing seeds of doubt based on thin air. JC has a clear record of fighting racism in all its forms, including anti-Semitism. The fact that JC supports human rights for Palestinians and opposes the aggression of Netanyahu's right wing government towards Palestine does not make him anti-semetic. We all have the right to oppose political decisions/policies. I am sure that there have been/are some anti-semetic members in the Labour party and that will be similar to any other political party in UK. There are some right wing / conservative factions of the Jewish community for whom any criticism of Israel, or simply a Pro Palestinian stance, equates to anti-Semitism. Very many Jewish people do not think like this.

PECS Thu 19-Jul-18 21:12:55

Fennel I do not understand what you are saying. Perhaps my post was not clear.

What I was trying to explain is that

e.g If you allow religious group A freedom to teach that people with curly hair are less valuable than those with straight hair and so must not sit next to curly haired children you then must also allow religious group B the freedom to say people over 5' 6" are superior to shorter people and so receive 15% less in wages.
It is all about who is better /more blessed etc in God's eyes!
In this country we , allegedly, believe we should not discriminate against anyone based on race/ religion /gender etc. Unfortunately exteremists in all religions do not agree with this. Does the law of the land take precedent over religion or vice versa? It is a conundrum!

Anniebach Thu 19-Jul-18 21:14:32

So Corbyn admiring the anti Semitic wall painting was false news

. The Jewish Leaders Council , the Board of Deputies of British Jews are all Blairites ?

PECS Thu 19-Jul-18 21:14:42

Nobody has to accept anyone's cranky views!

Fennel Thu 19-Jul-18 21:16:27

"The fact that JC supports human rights for Palestinians and opposes the aggression of Netanyahu's right wing government towards Palestine does not make him anti-semetic. "
I agree.
This is what makes the whole subject so complex.

Anniebach Thu 19-Jul-18 21:17:57

Perhaps there was a better way of explaining PECS than calling the beliefs of people of faith cranky views

PECS Thu 19-Jul-18 21:24:52

Anniebach I believe that JC that as accepted that his should have understood the significance of the paintings before making any comment. If he had appreciated the significance I don't think he would have made the comments. It was bad not to be better aware. I do not excuse that. Still does not make him anti-semetic.

The Jewish Leaders Council , the Board of Deputies of British Jews are all Blairites ? No idea but they are not going to support anyone who opposes the current Israeli governments policies for reduction of Palestinian territories and will look to oppose those who do.

PECS Thu 19-Jul-18 21:32:55

Annie I was referring to extreme interpretations of faith. I do not have a faith myself but have great respect for may of my family and friends who live their faith every day, quietly, practically and spiritually. It is only these schools for extreme groups that feel threatened because they promote an anti-equality agenda that is contrary to British Values.

Fennel Thu 19-Jul-18 21:35:33

Pecs - your post of 21,12 -
As far as I know the Jewish teaching is only to omit those things they don't agree with.
Not to say they are wrong.
In my youth I went to a secular english grammar school and studied english literature at A level. One of our set books was The Faerie Queen by Edmund Spenser.
I found out later that a lot of it had been edited out because too sexually explicit for even 18 year olds.
How things have changed.

Anniebach Thu 19-Jul-18 21:42:54

So the UK Goverment, Scotland Parliament, Welsh Assembly, police ,crown prosecution service,the Judiciary, governments across the world are wrong and Corbyn and the Momentun run NEC has got it right

PECS Thu 19-Jul-18 21:52:12

I suppose that is a philosophical question.

My point is if we allow one group to omit part of the curriculum what happens when another religious group 'don't agree' with e.g. tolerance and omit that aspect?
In the Jewish and Muslim schools that are feeling under threat from OFSTED it is about the limiting of experience of the students .. girls /boys not having equal access to the same education and redacting parts of text books and fiction and actively teaching negative attitudes to sexual orientation. I actually do not have a problem with these establishment being challenged.

trisher Thu 19-Jul-18 21:52:27

The old accusations of anti-semitism in the Labour party have once again been resurrected by someone who claims to love the party and yet who thinks it is anti-semitic. If you thought that surely you should remove yourself from an anti-semitic organisation, otherwise it might be assumed that you are anti-semitic like the other members. We could ask why the Conservatives are not debating the issue, it is easy enough to sign or agree to a definition whilst harbouring real racist opinions as many of them do.
As far as religious education is concerned I think we only have to look at N.Ireland to realise what religious education can lead to. There are of course faith schools but I can see no reason why they should be funded by the tax payer and of course they should be subject to inspection.

Anniebach Thu 19-Jul-18 21:57:01

This will come as a surprise to you trisher but the entire Labour Party is not anti semetic , it has reared it’s head in the last three years. One only has to think of the Jewish MP’s who were once in the party and those who still are.

PECS Thu 19-Jul-18 21:58:45

Anniebach sometimes it takes a brave person to challenge the establishment & the establishment is not always perfect! As I said the statement itself was not under discussion.. it was making additions/ alterations to the guidelines to interpret the statement clearly that were under discussion.

PECS Thu 19-Jul-18 22:03:28

Many of those Jewish Labour MPs and Labour party members were part of the discussions. Jewish people are as different as any other group of people who share a faith/no faith. It would be a bit racist to think otherwise!

Anniebach Thu 19-Jul-18 22:32:14

As it’s racist to accuse an entire party of being racist when it a minority who are.

Anniebach Thu 19-Jul-18 22:34:43

As the decision was taken by Corbyn and the Momentum run NEC many were not part of the decision making

PECS Thu 19-Jul-18 22:56:24

The NEC are elected by members. I recall having to vote as a party member. An elected committee is there to make decisions on behalf of the members. If your particular choices were not elected I can see you feel miffed but that is the way it works.

PECS Thu 19-Jul-18 23:03:46

I am not sure of your argument about it’s racist to accuse an entire party of being racist

Racism, as you know, is when a more powerful majority mistreat/abuse etc a minority group based on their race/colour/creed etc.
If a political party espouses policies that discriminate against a less powerful group etc then it would be right to accuse them of being racist! e.g EDL