Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour gone mad

(89 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 17-Jul-18 08:45:55

They are now deciding on a new definition of anti semitism

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44853391

trisher Fri 20-Jul-18 09:06:41

It is of course entirely right that the Labour Party should discuss the issue. The point is that if you consider that such a discussion is the party gone mad, you must assume that the discussion is not worth having and either therefore that tr anti-semitism does not exist of that it is impossible to deal with. Actually of course it is a vitally important discussion and it must deal with the difficulties that supportiing the Palestinian people involves. One example might be the protests and boycott of M&S because of its support for Israel and Zionism, is it anti-semitic to take part? It and many other questions is something that should be debated openly and not swept under the carpet.

lemongrove Fri 20-Jul-18 09:14:18

It doesn’t need debating or altering or redefining, just accept the International definition.Job done.

lemongrove Fri 20-Jul-18 09:18:03

The anti-Semitism in the LP has increased under Corbyn’s watch this is the problem, in fact he is central to the problem.

lemongrove Fri 20-Jul-18 09:23:40

PECS I say that Corbyn is central to the problem simply because he is a weak leader and has allowed Momentum and others of the hard left to run rings round him and dictate attitudes if not policy.Their attitudes are that Israel and Jewish people are bad .....not just Zionism.This colours all views of theirs and leads to anti-Semitism.

Anniebach Fri 20-Jul-18 10:30:28

True lemon, it does not need debating or redefining, the far left choose to do so to safeguard the anti semetics in the party.

Fennel Fri 20-Jul-18 11:25:47

I've just remembered another point in the IHRA definition - Judging the behaviour of Jews by a higher standard than that of other nations.
I can't decide what to make of that one.

PECS Fri 20-Jul-18 11:33:18

Under the IHRA ..drawn up and agreed by conservative and Zionist Jewish groups ... It makes anyone who compares the policies of the current Israeli government with those of apartheid SA anti semetic. Do you think that is right? Do you think people should be able to criticise right wing regimes without being accused of racism/ anti semitism. I oppose and petition against Saudi Arabia but am not anti Muslim. I supported an alternative government to Mugabe but am not anti Zimbabwean. The IHRA make opposition to Zionism anti semetic when in fact very many Jews do not agree with this political movement. The statement guidelines also suggest that Jewish people are all the same, which clearly they are not. That in itself is rather racist and has been argued by Jewish scholars that it plays into the hands of the far right. The far right support Zionism because they want Jewish people to all be in Israel and not in their countries. I believe that this is what Ken Livingstone clumsily referred to when he was accused of anti semitism.

PECS Fri 20-Jul-18 12:07:13

www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-corbyn-anti-semitism-labour-conference-jewish-supporter-vote-political-weapon-a7330891.html?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Fennel Fri 20-Jul-18 12:15:14

" frustration towards those trying to use an all too real threat facing my community for their own political gain."
That's exactly how I think/feel.
Good article, PECS.

lemongrove Fri 20-Jul-18 13:24:35

It doesn’t matter what the LP do with refining or redesigning the definition, because many of them will still be just as anti-semitic afterwards.No doubt they are hoping to wriggle out of ever having to censure anyone again for anti-semitism, as they are changing the goalposts.Typical really.

knickas63 Fri 20-Jul-18 13:35:23

Being anti Israel/Anti Zionist does not make you anti Semitic. Simple.

trisher Fri 20-Jul-18 13:42:16

So lemongrove as you know so much would you consider a boycott of M&S anti-semitic or not? It is far too simple to just name call and to refuse to examine the complexities of the issue. Many have real concerns about the treatment of Palestinians (including numerous Jews) and using the slur of anti-semitism to stifle debate is unacceptable.

Eloethan Sat 21-Jul-18 00:11:30

In the I today - "Israeli law defines country as the nation state of the Jewish people".

"Critics say the law marginalises the country's Arab minority [around 20%]. One clause downgrades the Arabic language from official to "special" standing. It also declares that advancing Jewish settlement is a national interest."

And yet it is said to be "anti-semitic" to suggest that the State of Israel condones and reinforces discriminatory practices.