Gransnet forums

News & politics

Aretha Franklin

(36 Posts)
TerriBull Thu 16-Aug-18 17:42:49

Aretha Franklin has sadly died she had been very ill with pancreatic cancer. She had such a wonderful voice. RIP Queen of Soul

nanaK54 Thu 16-Aug-18 17:44:19

RIP Aretha flowers

Anniebach Thu 16-Aug-18 17:44:44

RIP. Queen of Soul

Thank you for the music

Fennel Thu 16-Aug-18 18:11:11

She was a great singer of gospel bluesand rock.
I remember her best in The Blues Brothers 'Think'
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY66elCQkYk

ninathenana Thu 16-Aug-18 18:21:15

R E S P E C T.

Great talent R.I.P

Alima Thu 16-Aug-18 18:58:35

What a star! Such an amazing voice. So many happy memories listening to her. RIP Queen of Soul.

JessK Fri 17-Aug-18 09:48:03

RIP
The Queen of Soul who had a voice of an angel
May she sing loud with them in heaven

JenniferEccles Fri 17-Aug-18 11:51:57

I was sorry to hear that Aretha Franklin had died, as I had grown up with her music.
She did have a wonderful soulful voice, and of course her death is sad BUT really, did it warrant being the top news story on the BBC News at Ten? The tributes just went on and on. What about the latest findings on the dreadful collapse of the bridge in Genoa? Is the death of a 70 something pop singer really a more important news item than that? Apparently so.

MawBroon Fri 17-Aug-18 12:15:32

I feel like you JenniferEccles
Yes a legend as an artist, but listening to the car radio as I was driving home from Nottingham , the “gap” between whatever had been on Radio 4 just before 5 pm and PM was given over to Aretha Franklin songs.
We had at least 50 minutes out of 60 of PM devoted to Franklin, another few minutes between the weather forecast and the Six o’clock news, then of course the first item was...Aretha Franklin.
The motorway bridge disaster was by far the most important story in terms of loss of life, corruption in Italian politics and the construction industry, but clearly not deemed as “newsworthy”.

JenniferEccles Fri 17-Aug-18 12:31:45

I'm glad I'm not the only one MawBroon I even double checked that I was actually on BBC1 and watching the main news when the coverage just went on and on. Of course it was right that her death was mentioned, but with everything else going on in the world, it just seemed totally out of proportion to me.

trisher Fri 31-Aug-18 13:28:02

RIP Aretha I say a little prayer for you www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtBbyglq37E

MawBroon Fri 31-Aug-18 13:36:27

I will no doubt be shot down in flames but I am entirely Aretha Franklined out.
We had two days of wall to wall when she died, tribute TV programmes in the interim, detailed coverage of the queue waiting to pay their respects (and perform their favourite numbers) and presumably she is being laid to rest today.
Great voice, great artiste, but John McCain was the greater loss to the US and the world.

trisher Fri 31-Aug-18 13:50:59

So why are so many people queuing to see her MawBroon.? You are entitled to feel as you wish, but not to criticise others feelings. Aretha's songs touched the hearts of many and she provided a role model for many girls. People obviously feel more connected to her.

Bellasnana Fri 31-Aug-18 13:57:18

Well, since we are all allowed an opinion, I find it quite macabre that AF’s corpse has had no less than three changes of outfit during her ‘lying in state’.

Sparklefizz Fri 31-Aug-18 14:12:24

Me too, Bellasnana. Fair enough if people want to queue to see her and have feelings for her, but why make her into a fairground attraction?

Sparklefizz Fri 31-Aug-18 14:15:23

I agree JenniferEccles. Sometimes I watch the News on Channel 4 straight after the News on BBC 1 and wonder if I am in the same country as Channel 4 often cover completely different topics which are serious and should be the main news on [any] channel.

Sparklefizz Fri 31-Aug-18 14:16:00

Sorry, that should read any channel.

trisher Fri 31-Aug-18 14:16:41

Oh I think that's weird Bellasnana but the Americans have always had a strange attitude to death. Evelyn Waugh wrote about it in The Loved One.

Menopaws Fri 31-Aug-18 17:46:30

Anyone else uncomfortable knowing they kept changing her clothes while dead as she was paraded about in her open coffin for all to see?

MawBroon Fri 31-Aug-18 18:26:55

I am not criticising the feelings of others Trisher merely stating my own.
The “American way of death” makes me uncomfortable at the best of times, this was a circus.

lemongrove Fri 31-Aug-18 18:34:20

very few people had even thought about Aretha Franklin for donkeys years, now it's a circus.

lemongrove Fri 31-Aug-18 18:35:08

Sorry maw I didn't read, and have now pinched your words.

trisher Fri 31-Aug-18 19:04:17

So you have insight into the thoughts of all Americans now lemon impressive indeed.
She was still touring in 2017 very succesfully and In 2008, Rolling Stone magazine named her at number one on their rundown of the 100 Greatest Singers of All Time.
So perhaps not as forgotten as you imagine

lemongrove Fri 31-Aug-18 19:19:38

lots of old singers continued touring well past their sell by dates.
I have never heard her mentioned for years and years and talking to people I know, neither had they.
in the US [and increasingly here too] any singer from the past or old celebrity, once dead is treated as a saint.

grumppa Fri 31-Aug-18 19:21:08

I too am Aretha Franklined out MawBroon, just as I was David Bowied out when he handed in his dinner pail a while ago.