Gransnet forums

News & politics

Scallop Wars with the French why no comment by our useless PM

(59 Posts)
Nicenanny3 Wed 29-Aug-18 13:46:48

Don't count on Theresa May to stick up for our British fishermen, imagine if it was our fishermen ramming the French boats and throwing rocks at them it would be declared an international incident. But no we can't upset the French can we Mrs May we are too busy kowtowing to them.

crystaltipps Thu 30-Aug-18 16:35:24

They sell most of those scallops back to the French as the Brits don’t know how to cook them. The English boats are huge industrial boats doing loads of damage to marine life. I don’t blame the French for getting irate.

lemongrove Thu 30-Aug-18 16:43:03

are they huge-er than the French boats? They didn't look it in the pics. The facts are that British boats are entitled to fish there, so they did.
the French have said the same.
French fishermen and farmers have always been a bolshie violent lot, anyone remember the burning lambs?
French police always sit back and watch and do nothing.

paddyann Thu 30-Aug-18 18:46:51

for heavens sake if it wasn't for the EU there wouldn't BE any fish!Fishing boats from this isle overfished so much that stocks were badly depleted until the EU stepped in and saved them So dont blame the French or the Spanish or anyone else for low stocks it was all down to us .I got THAT information from a friend who runs a boat out of Scotland and he's fizzing that Westminster will use the fishing fleet as a bargaining tool

GrannyGravy13 Thu 30-Aug-18 19:08:31

crystaltipps I am not sure where you dine out or what your cooking skills are, but I can assure you that Brits can cook scallops extremely well. Myself, Husband all my children and their partners can and do cook scallops, never had an over cooked one yet!!!

oldbatty Thu 30-Aug-18 20:52:11

sacre bleu! I have never eaten one in my life.

MawBroon Thu 30-Aug-18 20:53:54

They sell most of those scallops back to the French as the Brits don’t know how to cook them.

Speak for yourself!

MawBroon Thu 30-Aug-18 20:58:46

English boats do not have to respect these rules
La réglementation française impose aux pêcheurs français de ne pas exploiter la coquille entre le 15 mai et le 1er octobre. Les Anglais n’ont pas à respecter cette réglementation

Jalima1108 Thu 30-Aug-18 21:02:17

The area is not within the restricted boundaries. The French Government rules do not apply to the British.

It must be very annoying to the French fishermen but they need to protest to their own Government who imposed these rules on them.

I will not comment on the method of fishing as that is another matter I think.

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Aug-18 23:46:09

My mother used to serve up (perfectly cooked) scallops back in the early 70s. Not so DH’s family, who fell about laughing when my future mother in law asked if I liked scallops and I said oh yes, I loved all seafood. Scallops down here in Yorkshire at that time were slices of battered potato deep-fried. blush

crystaltipps Fri 31-Aug-18 07:40:39

I sure all you GNs can cook scallops but the fact is that most of the scallops caught by the British boats will be exported.

travelsafar Fri 31-Aug-18 07:53:30

POGS I know us women can do many things at the same time but i agree with you, TM is in Africa working on trade deals she cant be expected to deal with the scallop issue at the same time surely!!!!.

lemongrove Fri 31-Aug-18 10:16:39

exported or eaten in the UK makes not one scrap of difference to this issue.

crystaltipps Fri 31-Aug-18 11:10:20

I bet if it were factory French boats catching cod in U.K. waters, threatening stocks and flogging it back to us there would be huge outcry by kippers( sic) about unfair EU rules to our poor fishermen. Just read about one of these U.K. boats registered in Shoreham - the skipper of said boat has been fined several times for illegal fishing practices, breaching health and safety rules and for being 3xs over the alcohol limit when skippering his vessel.

Jalima1108 Fri 31-Aug-18 12:57:49

I bet if it were factory French boats catching cod in U.K. waters,
But the whole point is that the British boats were not in French waters.

Maggiemaybe Fri 31-Aug-18 15:14:43

You’re a bit out of date, crystaltipps. Our waters are too warm for cod now. We import 90% of the cod we eat from Norway and Iceland.

crystaltipps Fri 31-Aug-18 15:16:29

We’ve over fished our waters too.

Maggiemaybe Fri 31-Aug-18 15:28:35

Well, under current EU regulations our quota for the cod in the English Channel is 9%.....

Jalima1108 Fri 31-Aug-18 17:56:29

We’ve over fished our waters too.
With a bit of help from the Spanish fishing barons?

lemongrove Fri 31-Aug-18 19:27:52

funny how some people always prefer any other country over their own [the UK] isn't it? Even when the other country [French fishermen] are in the wrong.

Jalima1108 Fri 31-Aug-18 20:44:12

Icelandic Cod Wars anyone?

MaizieD Fri 31-Aug-18 23:02:39

With a bit of help from the Spanish fishing barons?

To whom we probably sold a lot of our quota. I posted a link about it ages ago on another thread...

Notably some of the scallop fishing companies are not British owned. The boats that were fined twice for taking undersized scallops (link posted yesterday) were owned by a Canadian company.

MaizieD Fri 31-Aug-18 23:16:21

are they huge-er than the French boats? They didn't look it in the pics.

Perhaps you need to get your eyes tested, lemon

From the BBC website report; I'm sure they wouldn't make it up...

About 40 French boats tried to stop five larger British boats from fishing 12 nautical miles (22km) off the Normandy coast, in the Bay of Seine.

crystaltipps Sat 01-Sep-18 09:04:23

I still bet if the tables were turned the same people who are defending the Brits on here would be hopping mad about the French/ Spanish etc pinching “our”fish.

Nicenanny3 Sat 01-Sep-18 12:51:35

I can only come to the conclusion posters on here who are not supporting our British fishermen are not British. Perhaps EU citizens residing over here peeved by Brexit, or EU loving lefties who love everyone except their own countrymen.

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Sep-18 15:06:16

40 against 5?

Outnumbered! Where's the RN when you need it?