Gransnet forums

News & politics

What will go first?

(126 Posts)
trisher Thu 30-Aug-18 10:20:21

After Brexit when the EU human rights act no longer applies what will be the first thing Mrs May's government will get rid of. My first 3 are:
1. Minimum wage will be dropped for organisations employing less than 50 people.
2. Paternity leave will not apply to such organisations and a man will need to work for 5 years before beeing entitled to any.
3. Maternity leave will be restricted in the same way.

trisher Thu 30-Aug-18 15:46:01

Oh M0nica I think I will start recording all the things people have said Jeremy Corbyn will do. If you can state any emotive things I have posted I would be interested. The Trade union movement currently are discussing possible amendments there might be to the Bill of Rights. And Conservative backroom men certainly supported Brexit and not I suspect from any patriotic stance -"It's all about the money, money"

MaizieD Thu 30-Aug-18 15:47:16

How about sticking to the thread topic?

Brexit was partly sold on getting rid of EU regulations.

Surely some Leavers must have an idea about which ones they want to see gone; which might give us an idea about which ones might be the first to go...

Ilovecheese Thu 30-Aug-18 15:48:56

I think the Human Rights Act gets a very bad press, particularly the part about the Right to Family Life, especially after that rubbish Mrs May spoke about the bloke with the cat.
One thing I liked about the right to a family life is that when a Local Council wanted to split up a long married couple into two separate care homes because one was cheaper than the other, the court decided that was against their right to family life and that they should be kept together.

So I reckon the first thing to go will be a right to family life.

trisher Thu 30-Aug-18 15:53:22

Thanks Ilovecheese that might impact on some posters. It's one I hadn't thought of.

Eilyann70 Thu 30-Aug-18 16:15:10

Is the take up of paternity leave so low because men believe it will affect their prospects or because the majority simply cannot afford the drop in income? This is a genuine question as I don't know what statutory paternity pay is.

Deedaa Thu 30-Aug-18 16:23:11

I'm sure money comes into it for many men. So many families are counting every penny so that paternity leave with no overtime or double pay for Sundays could make it a non starter for many.

trisher Thu 30-Aug-18 16:32:59

The discussion isn't about paternity leave but the pay is around £145 per week. If you want to discuss the rights and wrongs of it why not start a thread?

lemongrove Thu 30-Aug-18 16:53:41

Another ridiculous Brexit thread in my view, trying to guess what will 'go' [common sense has already gone on here.]

trisher Thu 30-Aug-18 16:56:35

So why do you think unions are discussing it lemon ?

M0nica Thu 30-Aug-18 17:29:00

trish I was just suggesting a Labour red herring as an alternative to your Conservative red herring

trisher Thu 30-Aug-18 17:31:20

Same question as lemon M0nica

MaizieD Thu 30-Aug-18 17:42:06

Leavers aren't being very forthcoming...

Is getting rid of 'red tape' and regulations another thing they didn't really vote for?

I think it'll be restrictions on working hours, and, possibly, minimum pay/living wage that go pretty soon.

Jalima1108 Thu 30-Aug-18 17:46:30

What will go first?

When I first saw this heading, I thought you were asking the question about human senses, ie like Jaques's speech from As You Like It:
Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

and was thinking, well, probably my eyes, my teeth next, my memory …..
but then I read the rest of it. Must not be flippant.

I am hoping that anything that goes will swiftly be replaced by as good if not better legislation.
I was listening to R4 on the way home about the unmarried mother of four in NI who has just won a Supreme Court ruling:
The Supreme Court Justices found that the legislation which governs the WPA was incompatible with human rights law, as it "precludes any entitlement to WPA by a surviving unmarried partner"
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45355028

so - we are not in fact following Human Rights Law now in cases like this. Perhaps this will in future be addressed and our own laws will supersede those and be placed in our own statute books.

Jalima1108 Thu 30-Aug-18 17:49:31

Take up of paternity leave is very poor.

DH took a week's leave when our last DC was born and said he was never so glad to get back to work in his life. Of course, all of today's fathers are New Men, unlike my old one.

Baggs Thu 30-Aug-18 17:56:37

Why speculate? Why not just wait and see? Cross that bridge (or those bridges) when you come to it (them).

Oh, I see someone else has said the same thing.

You don't half like worrying, trisher.

varian Thu 30-Aug-18 18:22:32

Let's jump off the cliff and wait and see what happens next - we might grow wings or the parachute we didn't know we had might miraculously open and save us from being dashed to death on the rocks below - or maybe it could end badly as sensible the folk told you it would.

Anniebach Thu 30-Aug-18 18:26:41

Not a damn thing we can do.

trisher Thu 30-Aug-18 18:30:49

Baggs I do worry. The human rights we currently enjoy were hard won by people campaigning for many years against succesive reactionary governments who would have preferred us not to have them. I saw Tony Benn many years ago with his production about the history of human rights. It was moving, and very shocking, to realise how long it took to acheive them. And yet with a single act they could be wiped away, and once they are gone it could take years of activism to restore them. To sit and wait is to accept that you don't care and they don't matter.

trisher Thu 30-Aug-18 18:32:27

varian if that weren't so true it might be funny!

winterwhite Thu 30-Aug-18 19:06:23

I worry hugely, and all the time. Human rights will go and all welfare benefits, including minimum wage, will be slowly eroded. Basic public services ditto. Wage freezes and price increases as all businesses do all they can to maximise the personal position of their bosses and shareholders. My hope is still the formation of a new ‘centre’ party. Can we hope that we will see braver steps towards this during the party conference season.
Many GN-ers have obvs lost interest in, patience with, this topic, but can’t they just keep out of it - No one goes into other threads and posts that they are soooo boring....

muffinthemoo Thu 30-Aug-18 19:23:11

I am... fairly educated in employment and European law. On this basis, here are my guesses for the things most at risk/to be pushed back on first:

1 - The ancillary protected maternity/pregnancy employment rights. E.g: the right to be advised of promotion opportunities and not to have your leave counted against you, the right to automatically have your flexi time request considered, the right to have your own job held for you to return to. The little things that make it hard to constructively dismiss your employees who are new mums.

2 - Working Time Directive rules’ application to junior doctors. The loss of EU doctors will worsen the NHS staffing crisis urgently, and new doctors take a decade to make. The fast and cheap solution is to return the juniors to working a hundred hours a week.

Anniebach Thu 30-Aug-18 19:24:53

There will not be a new centre party in the near future , Many labour MP’s who support remain are sticking with it in the hope there will be a move by the Labour leader to support remainers, faint hope in my opinion.

varian Thu 30-Aug-18 19:28:39

How much internal division could it take before the Labour Party splits apart?

varian Thu 30-Aug-18 19:31:21

I do not think that Anniebach is alone amongst lifelong LP supporters who are very unhappy with the current state of the party.

Ilovecheese Thu 30-Aug-18 19:56:21

varian You are probably right about some longtime LP supporters being unhappy with the current state of the party, but for different reasons,I might be unhappy about he constant arguing and divisions within the party, but I support the new direction that it is taking under the new leadership.

having said that, I do think that this thread should continue to be about the Human Rights Act, not the Labour Party.

I agree with Muffin that the working time directive would be one of the first to go. Not just for junior doctors but also for people on a low hourly wage who can then be told "well you can always work more hours"