Gransnet forums

News & politics

What will go first?

(125 Posts)
trisher Thu 30-Aug-18 10:20:21

After Brexit when the EU human rights act no longer applies what will be the first thing Mrs May's government will get rid of. My first 3 are:
1. Minimum wage will be dropped for organisations employing less than 50 people.
2. Paternity leave will not apply to such organisations and a man will need to work for 5 years before beeing entitled to any.
3. Maternity leave will be restricted in the same way.

Nonnie Thu 30-Aug-18 10:26:58

Ooh Trisher you are a pessimist! I don't think any of that will happen but then I don't think it will be TM's problem. I think we will have a general election, which she has no hope of winning because whatever Brexit deal (or no deal) is agreed it won't be good enough for all those people who believed the lies. She is in a no win situation. I think we will have JC as PM and he won't have a clue what to do with resulting chaos.

Unless we stop Brexit whoever is in charge has a hopeless challenge.

Anniebach Thu 30-Aug-18 11:00:56

Corbyn as PM , nightmare

kittylester Thu 30-Aug-18 11:07:14

Annie grin

trisher Thu 30-Aug-18 11:14:09

Having seen the way GNers post and the right wing media I think we will get a whole load of s**t thrown at us about how badly the economy is doing, and the only way to solve it is to introduce measures to make us more competetive, and there you are all the rights we have fought for up for grabs. And all those who are slagging off Corbyn will be contributing towards their abolition, so congratulations a century of campaigning gone in an instant.

TerriBull Thu 30-Aug-18 11:16:36

"Paternity leave will not apply to such organisations and a man will need to work for 5 years before being entitled to any"

I read that as few as 2% of men take up paternity leave. The reality for most men taking such a prolonged absence will greatly affect their prospects, or possibly they will not have a job to come back to.Maybe this aspiration works in the world of Nick Clegg and a couple of Scandinavian countries but for the ordinary Joe in Britain, I don't think so.

trisher Thu 30-Aug-18 11:19:41

TerriBull would you like to post your evidence? It is a very recently aquired right and possibly not well communicated and may well improve in the future (if you are correct).

Luckygirl Thu 30-Aug-18 11:23:50

Well - I suppose we have no choice but to simply wait and see. I do not think those pessimistic predictions have any basis in fact - it is just conjecture.

We areall styepping into the unknown,but I do not see any reason to think that whatever government there is wuill be racing to get rid of some of the good things that came from the EU.

Anniebach Thu 30-Aug-18 11:28:28

I don’t do ‘slagging off’ I do criticise politicians who support terrorism, betray fellow party members, is still obsessed with ‘class’ , who wants to be PM and representhis country on the world stage but can’t remember if he took part in a memorial ceremony only four years ago, who wants NI to leave the U.K. who praises a racist mural but claims he didn’t realy look at it, who joins a group on twitter but says he didn’t read what had been said. So I criticise him.

trisher Thu 30-Aug-18 11:38:49

Is it possible Annie that your family would benefit from the abolition of some employment rights?

TerriBull Thu 30-Aug-18 11:39:54

trisher, I knew it was low so I Googled paternity leave, it came up on a BBC website, less than 2%, also other sources such as The Independent. Sorry no good at producing links. Also from conversation, I'm not sure many young fathers, would feel comfortable putting forward the desire to take a prolonged period of time off work, mainly because it would affect their prospects and they just wouldn't be taken seriously. As we know, in certain situations, that has also been the case for working mothers.

Jane10 Thu 30-Aug-18 11:40:58

Nonnie's hit the nail on the head. There's no good way out. Theresa May has done as well as humanly possible in an impossible situation. Corbyn has been promoted way beyond his competence by the wave of £3 Labour members. We're all doomed I say, doomed!

trisher Thu 30-Aug-18 11:45:53

The prospect of not being considered for advancement is always a possibility I suppose but does a low take up mean that the right should be abandoned? I would imagine in its first years maternity leave wasn't as well subscribed to as it is now. The thing about rights is that they give people the option and that if that option is withdrawn it impacts on all sorts of things. In this case possibly the steps that women are still taking towards full equality.

Anniebach Thu 30-Aug-18 11:46:27

Yes trisher possibly, but even that threat would not cause me to support a communist who will do even more harm to my family. .

trisher Thu 30-Aug-18 11:50:25

I wouldn't expect you to Annie but as you aren't being offered that option, it is good to be clear about which party would benefit your family, that must necessarily influence your views.

Anniebach Thu 30-Aug-18 11:52:52

Party yes trisher, but not a party lead by a communist who places Venezuela as a utopia

TerriBull Thu 30-Aug-18 12:00:41

A good ideal, but I still think it will be unworkable for many men. I believe it was mooted by Nick Clegg who has a very high earning wife, so yes he could easily abandon the work place for a period of time without being unduly affected. I just don't think people such as him understand the logistics of how such a plan would slot into the average man's working life. Time will tell if more men take up this leave, but I suspect the numbers will be minimal.

trisher Thu 30-Aug-18 12:26:18

I believe TerriBull thst the number of women earning more then their husbands/patners has increased over the years I will try and find some figures.Certainly I know amongst my sons' friends a high earning wife is not unusual. And that would of course influence the take up.
Annie No one has ever described Venezuela as "Utopia" there hve been comments expressing support for a regime which some hoped would provide stability and steps to true democracy. The failure of the regime to acheive this cannot be placed at the door of our politicians (although American interference can't be ruled out!).

Anniebach Thu 30-Aug-18 12:53:11

True not utopia but ‘an inspiration ‘

GrannyGravy13 Thu 30-Aug-18 13:56:47

Unfortunately none of us know what will happen after March 2019. All you hear are guesses and maybes, I shall wait and see then make up my own mind when we have actual facts.

Perhaps it's about time we had some positive posts about the UK and its prospects. It is possible to 'talk' a country/economy up, instead of constantly seeking out the negatives.

Those of you that follow European politics closely,will have noticed what Greece has had to sacrifice for the sake of the German/EU Central bank, with higher taxes, lower standard of living high unemployment and low GDP.

Other EU countries are coming out to voice their worries over the EU State. I am not anti-EU, but I am anti the big brother state it has evolved into.

MaizieD Thu 30-Aug-18 15:05:32

The UK’s parenting leave system is based on a maternity/paternity leave model. Mums receive up to 52 weeks’ maternity leave, of which the first 6 weeks must be paid at 90% of salary and the remaining 33 weeks at a minimum statutory rate; dads get just 2 weeks’ paternity leave, paid at a minimum statutory rate (see below).

www.dad.info/work/paternity-leave/paternity-leave-in-the-uk

Paternity leave seems to be well used by some teachers, at least. My son-in-law took his 2 weeks after the birth of my grandson and most of the 'new fathers' at the school I worked at took their fortnight.

trisher Thu 30-Aug-18 15:12:34

GrannyGravy13 if you want a thread on talking up Britain after Brexit why not start one? Personally I am very aware that money is made by some during a recession and so I suspect are the Bexiteers pushing the Conservative party.

M0nica Thu 30-Aug-18 15:37:07

Anybody can think up emotive policies and then claim one of the parties supports it and attack it.

How about if Jeremy Corbyn becomes Prime Minister one of the first things he will do to improve work opportunities for al,l will to ban anyone whose parents left school after the age of 16 from work for the BBC.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 30-Aug-18 15:37:22

trisher, I think there are enough threads about Brexit on this forum. With regular posters, repeating the same thoughts.

I only dip in and out of the political ones as I am not very good at on-line debating, and really try to stay away from conflict both digital and real.
???

PECS Thu 30-Aug-18 15:44:13

it is very tedious to hear the same stories being said over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ……………..