Gransnet forums

News & politics

What will go first?

(126 Posts)
trisher Thu 30-Aug-18 10:20:21

After Brexit when the EU human rights act no longer applies what will be the first thing Mrs May's government will get rid of. My first 3 are:
1. Minimum wage will be dropped for organisations employing less than 50 people.
2. Paternity leave will not apply to such organisations and a man will need to work for 5 years before beeing entitled to any.
3. Maternity leave will be restricted in the same way.

Grandad1943 Fri 31-Aug-18 18:10:10

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Health & Safety legislation in this thread. In the 2014 election campaign, David Cameron stated that he wished to see all H&S regulations being withdrawn in favour of self-regulation by Companies.

Perhaps Grenfell Tower has made the Tories think again about what they once called "red tape" H&S legislation.

Jalima1108 Fri 31-Aug-18 18:13:55

Thanks trisher

As I say, my evidence is merely anecdotal.

PECS Fri 31-Aug-18 22:44:09

Jalima Academies are just state secondary schools...they are nothing special! They are managed by a trust rather than a local authority but are funded the same per pupil as other state schools.
They have a similar profile to LA schools.. some are fantastic and some awful.. most are good! They are subject to the same inspection/curriculum etc.
It was a government strategy to dismantle local authorities in an attempt to reduce costs and to increase centralisation of educational control. It has not worked particularly well. The two secondary schools in our town are differently managed: one Academy and one Community school. Not a lot of difference in the outcomes of either school ..the Community school has a unit for students with SEND so their result look less successful..but they do include the results of the unit too.

Diana54 Sat 01-Sep-18 07:06:53

Is the European Court of Human Rights an EU body?, in any case I don't see any repealing of liberal legislation by UK courts.
Paternity Rights, assuming there were no complications, the one thing I would not want is a man hovering over me all day every day, if he did what I asked him to without hassle, otherwise stay out of the way, that would be fine.

Anniebach Sat 01-Sep-18 10:05:26

Our firms men use a week of their annual holiday when their baby arrives

MaizieD Sat 01-Sep-18 10:07:50

Why do they do that if they are entitled to two week's paternity leave, ab? Or doesn't it apply to Wales?

trisher Sat 01-Sep-18 10:26:05

Why on earth should they have to do that Annie and as a lifelong Labour supporter are you not ashamed that they should have to? Fine if the parents don't want the paternity leave Diana54 no one is forcing them to take it, but I really don't see why a man who wants to spend time with his new baby shouldn't be given time to do so.
50 years ago now a friend of mine had her baby, took a couple of weeks on sick, then the school summer holidays and then went back to work, because there wasn't any maternity leave. (she was lucky being a teacher) We have come a long way since then thank goodness. Let's realise we need people to have children and support them properly.

Anniebach Sat 01-Sep-18 10:41:32

trisher, they do it because they want a weeks pay not £145, why should I be ashamed? my brother finds them a weeks work when the firm is closed for two weeks.

Suppose when Corbyn is PM all workers will have paternity leave on full pay

trisher Sat 01-Sep-18 10:47:58

Oh I do hope so. One of my DSs wouldn't benefit, but the others might. It would so fit in with the principles they were raised on, that both parents can love and care for a baby, and spending time with your child is one of the best and most rewarding things you can do.

Anniebach Sat 01-Sep-18 11:32:44

Along with free musical instruments and free music lessons for every child, paying back students loans, free meals for every child regardless of parents income, building social housing for everyone who wants one. And this is just the first term

trisher Sat 01-Sep-18 11:41:39

I posted about my friend and when there was no maternity leave. Exactly the same arguments were used then, Ooh we can't afford it. Ooh it will lead to financial ruin. Guess what it didn't! Exactly the same arguments were used for free nursery care. Exactly the same arguments were used for equal pay for women. And it has never happened.

MaizieD Sat 01-Sep-18 11:47:08

Suppose when Corbyn is PM all workers will have paternity leave on full pay

hmm When I was on maternity leave in the 70s I seem to recall that I had 6 months full pay and 6 months half pay. Was this just a generous NHS 'thing'?

Anniebach Sat 01-Sep-18 11:53:04

Maternity leave is not paternity leave

trisher Sat 01-Sep-18 12:34:05

Maternity leave came in in 1976 MaizieD.
Ever heard of equal rights Annie? why would you deny a father the right to bond with his new baby? Some men love having children just as some women don't.

muffinthemoo Sat 01-Sep-18 13:46:00

I would have been up the creek without a paddle after both births if DH had taken no paternity leave, since I ended up back in hospital both times. And the second time with a one year old as well as a newborn to look after!

If I had ended up having a surgical delivery and being told I couldn’t lift, I would have been even further up the creek. I would have need to hire a nanny at short notice and considerable expense because lord knows how I would have cared for the two of them alone for twelve and fourteen hours at a stretch - the eldest wasn’t walking yet.

I know other folk must have managed in this situation, but I’m only reflecting on my own experiences.

It’s alright to assume paternity leave isn’t “useful” for a brand new mum, but if she had a rough delivery and no family to help, those two weeks to heal up a bit are a godsend.

Anniebach Sat 01-Sep-18 13:56:48

I have no problem with paternity leave trisher, can the country afford it ? Does every father take paternity leave now? Can they afford to take it?

trisher Sat 01-Sep-18 14:02:40

If they can't afford to take it, it should be properly funded Annie.Equal rights you know. And sometimes fathers are needed as muffin has said. Why should they suffer financially because the mother is ill? Why should the have to use their holidays?

Anniebach Sat 01-Sep-18 14:10:17

Can the country afford to pay full pay to cover paternity leave? Easy to say it should be so, but can it be do? Should sick pay be full wages?

trisher Sat 01-Sep-18 14:40:09

As I have already said exactly this argument was used about equal pay, maternity pay and the minimum wage. They were paid, the country managed.

Day6 Sat 01-Sep-18 14:54:00

a century of campaigning gone in an instant

Hahahahahahaha.......oh Trisher grin You are a scream.

I declare Trisher is the source of Project Fear and I claim my fiver now.

You know full well the UK would have had human rights whether the EU existed or not.

We live in a pretty enlightened place you know. The Uk is not the back of beyond. We have high standards regarding human and animal welfare and some would say we have tolerance levels in the UK which most countries would not countenance.

Are you saying that Brussels is our master and if we break the chains and become free of EU control we are doomed? That we will all be servile, have no rights and become oppressed?

You are being ridiculous and deliberately trying to create yet more fear, for the gullible to swallow.

Dear me. You have got it bad. I think you take the biscuit for being the most pessimistic of all Remainers.

You'll no doubt go on to list EVERYTHING in danger, tell us how CATASTROPHIC life will be (not worth living, I bet....) yet not once admit that what we gained from Brussels we can recreate, and more.

We will not become a nation devoid of human rights or fair laws, and you know it.

We have never needed Brussels to tell us how to live. Thank goodness we will be forging our own future before long.

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Sep-18 15:02:02

a century of campaigning gone in an instant

Does that mean women will lose the franchise too?

Now, I may have to get my walking poles out and march.

Anniebach Sat 01-Sep-18 15:13:25

So no equal pay for women, no sick pay, no minimum wage, no maternity and paternity leave .

Minimum wage and paternity pay were brought in by a labour government, PM was Blair

Day6 Sat 01-Sep-18 15:32:17

After Brexit when the EU human rights act no longer applies

Hell's teeth. Talk about inflammatory. {hmm]

You'll find the UN's laws/acts and guidance on rights and freedoms will pretty much ensure that we'll be OK in the UK

I doubt if there is a political party in the UK who'd deny us the freedoms we now have. The extreme alt left or alt right ones are unlikely to ever have power.

If the European Courts brought in legislation now enshrined here, UK legal bods will be ensuring it;s transferred. See The Great Repeal Bill

Law makers in London, Cardiff, Belfast and Edinburgh will be making the decisions, not Strasbourg.

Yes, we can then amend them and you are predicting we will lose freedoms and rights like the minimum wage. The present Tory government increased the minimum wage and lowered tax thresholds for the lowest paid and those with the least so it's doubtful that any government will reverse that trend. I imagine a Labour government, should one get in, would be increasing taxes for ALL workers in order to implement their plans. That for me is much more worrying. I see the country being brought to its knees by Labour rather than our own law-makers once we are free of the European Courts.

trisher Sat 01-Sep-18 15:36:57

Jalima1108 and Day6 you make the same mistake many do that the women's movement was only about gaining the vote. It wasn't. "Equal Pay for Equal Work" was one of their demands. A stone and iron bar thrown through the Newcastle Labour Exchange in 1913 carried that message. It took another 60 years until the Dagenham women made their demands and the BBC still don't comply with it. So when you laugh at my warnings consider how delicate that situation still is. And that there is still a pay gap which particularly affects older women. www.tuc.org.uk/news/gender-pay-gap-twice-large-women-their-50s
I'm up for marching for it Jalima1108 It seems to me the least we can do to honour the women from 1913. Perhaps before I consider the rights we will lose I need to post about the rights we still don't have and how long we have been trying to get them.

trisher Sat 01-Sep-18 16:40:31

Day6 the Great Repeal Bill has been called the biggest power grab in history. Both the Scots and Welsh are refusing to recognise it. And this has been said
Kerry Moscogiuri, Amnesty’s campaigns director‎, said: “It is now vital that Parliament ensures our hard-won human rights don’t diminish after Brexit. The broad powers that the repeal bill grants ministers to change our laws are dangerously vague; they must not be used to roll back human rights that are in place to protect us all.”

The legislation makes clear that “the charter of fundamental rights is not part of domestic law on or after exit day”. Government lawyers believe that will make little difference in practice, as the charter sets out rights that are already enshrined elsewhere in EU law and will brought into domestic law.

But Emmy Gibbs, of the anti-trafficking charity ATLEU, who used the charter to bring a case about mistreated workers in foreign embassies to the supreme court, said: “It is not right that the removal of the charter under the great repeal bill will make no difference to workers.

“Without the charter, our clients – who complained of unlawful discrimination and breach of working time regulations – would have been left without any remedy, because the UK’s state immunity law prevents them enforcing those rights in the employment tribunal.”
In other words some rights will go automatically. Others I have no doubt will follow. Health and Safety and the environment have all been quoted as targets. But to imagine we have a fantastic record on human rights is to live in cloud cuckoo land.