Gransnet forums

News & politics

May in trouble

(149 Posts)
OldMeg Mon 03-Sep-18 08:12:58

How long can we be expected to put up with this woman?

*Our NHS is deliberately being run into the ground, with crises after crises every winter in A&E departments and people dying from lack of doctors, nurses, and wards. All in the name of austerity.

*Our education system is being cut up and torn apart. Some subjects cannot even be offered nowadays because of ‘cuts’ and the lack of staff to teach them as more teachers are leaving the profession than being recruited...even with those LalaLand adverts.

* Families, with young children, are being evicted because housing benefit is either cut, or now being administered efficiently. These are often people in work but tied into poor wages or zero hours contracts.

*This woman couldn’t organise her way out of a paper bag. She calls a General Election, effectively cutting her majority to next to nothing, so she is tied to a party like the DUP.

*And don’t get me started on Brexit! Total shambles. No deal in sight and we are supposed to leave the EU in March 2019.

Why is she still in ‘power’? Simple!

The Tory party cannot come up with anyone better ???

Bridgeit Mon 03-Sep-18 12:15:41

What should , could we do Oldmeg?
Brexit plus 2 dreadful main parties,without an ounce ( or should I say Kilo)of sense between them.
Another General Election,don’t think so
A 2nd referendum, probably not
Perhaps a re-set button, to as we were .
We just have to move forwards as best we can. At least we will provide valuable lessons to future generations ,well let’s hope so.

Anniebach Mon 03-Sep-18 12:15:43

?, I will try not to agree x

Jalima1108 Mon 03-Sep-18 13:16:21

As long as the Labour Party refuses to get rid of Corbyn and elect a leader who appeals to the centre and not just the left of the Party.

That's how long.

Iam64 Mon 03-Sep-18 13:22:29

I've been having a think (dangerous I know). I don't think any of the contenders will challenge Teresa, until Brexit fails. The likes of JRM and Boris want a scapegoat and guess what, they have one and it's female. I'm sure the awful little Govester is plotting under his bridge.

The real issue though as everyone says, is all 3 major parties lack MP's brave enough to step forward and challenge their leadership. I know this isn't the JC thread but I don't believe he'll be challenged until there is someone ready and waiting to step into his shoes (John McDonald anyone)

humptydumpty Mon 03-Sep-18 14:11:26

To me the worst thing is that despite hangin on by the skin of her teeth at the last election, TM is flatly refusing to have a second vote on Brexit; by what right does she do that? and how can a second (more informed) vote possibly be undemocratic?????

Jalima1108 Mon 03-Sep-18 14:12:27

(John McDonald anyone)
I made my views known on another thread about that possibility.

Frying pan, fire anyone?

OldMeg Mon 03-Sep-18 15:58:10

Can I point out that it is not the Labour MPs who elected Jeremy but the Labour Party members. I, for one, have no problem with the man and think he is being pillaried by the far right and supporters of New Labour. I was impressed with his honest answers to uncomfortable questions during the last GE.

May obviously misread the mood of the nation, especially younger voters, but also sufficient older, Guardian readers (yes, like myself I admit) who were (and still are) disillusioned with the current brand of Toryism, to remove her comfortable majority. What a shock that was for her!

Whether Labour would make such a good showing in another election, I don’t know, as the parties already mentioned have done such a thorough hatchet job on him.

So what to do? Well at very least protest, verbally, in writing, in emails, etc. to our MPs. Attend council meetings. Join groups such as Save our NHS, or Save our Schools. Make a fuss. Get your view across. Watch programmes such as Hospital which shows the true state of our NHS so we are at least informed. Talk to others and share views and experiences. Get out there and march if you can.

Or perhaps just moan when you can’t get a GP appointment or your grandchildren can’t get into the nearest school?

We, as a nation, tend not to be very active politically. So I suppose you could say we have the government we deserve with our ‘better the devil you know attitude, than the devil you are being told exists. Bogey men?

Anniebach Mon 03-Sep-18 16:01:59

May only has her party to vote her in or out. Cable the same. Corbyn is safe, he has a small number of M.P.’s, party members , Momentum members and the unions

paddyann Mon 03-Sep-18 16:04:51

I heard from a friend ,just this morning ,that all tory and labour MP's have been told to cancel October holidays .A sign of a snap election?
annodomini Ruth Davidson gets a good press in England but shes a waste of space .Ask her constituents about her ,she has held just one surgery since she was elected .I have friends who live in that constituency and they think she's all talk ,reality shows and pr exercises

Grandad1943 Mon 03-Sep-18 16:20:25

Quote[ As long as the Labour Party refuses to get rid of Corbyn and elect a leader who appeals to the centre and not just the left of the Party.] End quote

Jalima1108, I cannot see that happening at any time in the foreseeable future. It is very possible that Corbyn could be removed as leader in the next few months, but someone with the same left thinking would replace him.

In the above, there are a considerable number of resolutions up for debate at that next party conference that would give more powers to grassroots constituency and trade union branch activists regarding decision making in the party. Mandatory reselection of sitting MPs between general elections is also up for debate.

Indeed, the above may make the Labour party less electable, but I feel that it is the grassroots activist members that put both effort and finance into the overall running of the party, so it is just that they should have a very large say in its policy-making and choice of who should represent them.

As stated that may not be popular with the wider electorate, but in the foreseeable future, there will be no return to the days of Blair and Brown when the grassroots and wider Labour movement was completely overlooked and overruled.

That at the present time will simply be not allowed to return.

Jane10 Mon 03-Sep-18 16:55:40

Sorry Paddyann, contradicting you again, we live in Ruth Davidson's constituency and have found her to be approachable and helpful over a problem we were having. We didn't need to go to a surgery - we have Internet and phones here! Perfectly acceptable means of contact.

lemongrove Mon 03-Sep-18 16:58:16

have never heard of Davidson being 'a waste of space'.... although there are other politicians......

lemongrove Mon 03-Sep-18 16:59:20

* Grandad1943* I think your analysis of the LP is correct.

lemongrove Mon 03-Sep-18 17:00:34

whatever happens, in all political parties between now and Christmas is going to be anything but boring.

Day6 Mon 03-Sep-18 17:22:17

To my mind and plenty of others, Mrs May and the rest of us will experience REAL trouble (like we've never known before) if she hands the keys of No 10 Downing Street to Jeremy Corbyn and his Marxist pals. hmm

MaizieD Mon 03-Sep-18 19:16:47

What do you think will happen, Day6? If Corbyn get to No 10 won't it be because of the 'will of the people? hmm

varian Mon 03-Sep-18 19:19:22

The part conferences should be interesting. The brexiters in both the Tory and Labour party are trying to prevent debates on brexit, the most important political issue of our times.

Grandad1943 Mon 03-Sep-18 19:29:33

Yes, varian the party conferences should indeed be something. It is being reported that more than 50% of Conservative Party MPs will not be attending as they fear a "virtual bloodbath. However, in the long tradition of the Tory party, I expect most of that bloodletting will be done behind the scenes.

They do not like to wash their dirty laundry in public, a Gove stab in the back is more their style

Jane10 Mon 03-Sep-18 21:13:45

I just don't understand how Gove is still in the position he is. Surely none of his 'colleagues' can possibly trust him. One positive about Boris and Rees Mogg is that you know where you are with them! God. What a shower. Theresa is easily the best of them. How she must wish she could just walk away.

Grandad1943 Mon 03-Sep-18 21:34:59

Yes it is a real mess all round in both parties and just at a time the country required stability in the Parliamentary system.

OldMeg Tue 04-Sep-18 06:49:38

All speculation, as usual Day 6, whereas we know exactly what May has done to our public services and to the reputation and moral of the country. It’s there for all to see.

PECS Tue 04-Sep-18 07:59:36

All anyone can do at election time is concentrate on the policies / manifesto and base a decicion on that rather than the people. Many people choose a government based on a single personality of local candidate, which can be important, but is not the main reason to vote in a national election imo.

Blinko Tue 04-Sep-18 08:03:24

As has been said on a number of other threads, one way or another. Whatever our political inclinations or loyalties, it seems we agree it's a complete and utter shambles.

Incidentally, just to get this off my chest (pedants corner if you will) it's John McDonnell and Ronald MacDonald! On second thoughts, perhaps Ronald MacDonald would be the best bet after all.

nannypiano Tue 04-Sep-18 08:16:01

I know nothing about politics and don't pretend to and I'm certainly not well educated like most of you on here seem to be. But you don't have to be a genius to realise that any government chosen to run our country hasn't got a clue how to do it. They are so used to abiding by EU rules and just being puppet heads, doing what they are told by Brussels, that they no longer have the capability to do the job they are being over paid to do. Sometimes I wonder if they are being paid to destroy our fantastic country, bit by bit, by our enemy. Nothing would surprise me anymore. Surely they realise by now that cut backs and keeping the poorest short of money is going to have such a back lash soon. When people have money to spend it keeps the economy moving. By keeping the people who spend most , short of money, the economy will stop, to the detriment of us all. How much more can we put up with before we do as other countries do and rebel?

Coconut Tue 04-Sep-18 08:24:22

Don’t forget the chaos our Prisons and Police Forces are undergoing .... less criminals are being sent to Prison because of overcrowding so they are still on our streets ... less Police available when we need them ... the scary thing tho is that there is absolutely no one who fills you with any confidence to replace May.