Gransnet forums

News & politics

May in trouble

(148 Posts)
OldMeg Mon 03-Sep-18 08:12:58

How long can we be expected to put up with this woman?

*Our NHS is deliberately being run into the ground, with crises after crises every winter in A&E departments and people dying from lack of doctors, nurses, and wards. All in the name of austerity.

*Our education system is being cut up and torn apart. Some subjects cannot even be offered nowadays because of ‘cuts’ and the lack of staff to teach them as more teachers are leaving the profession than being recruited...even with those LalaLand adverts.

* Families, with young children, are being evicted because housing benefit is either cut, or now being administered efficiently. These are often people in work but tied into poor wages or zero hours contracts.

*This woman couldn’t organise her way out of a paper bag. She calls a General Election, effectively cutting her majority to next to nothing, so she is tied to a party like the DUP.

*And don’t get me started on Brexit! Total shambles. No deal in sight and we are supposed to leave the EU in March 2019.

Why is she still in ‘power’? Simple!

The Tory party cannot come up with anyone better ???

Anniebach Mon 03-Sep-18 08:15:48

You want her replaced by Boris Johnson or Jacob Rees Mogg?

Iam64 Mon 03-Sep-18 08:18:23

It isn't just TM though is it? The Conservative party policies are dire, they're split on Brexit - you're right though, the Tories can't come up with an alternative who would definitely win against TM in a leadership contest or would then go on to win an election.

Can I add cuts to children's services/family centres to your list of horrors OP?

OldMeg Mon 03-Sep-18 08:18:49

I think I answered that question in my last sentence Annie

What a shambles!

OldMeg Mon 03-Sep-18 08:19:54

Please feel free to add to the list of horrors Iam64 and anyone else.

Iam64 Mon 03-Sep-18 08:21:39

I was about to make some Comment suggesting we’re all doomed when I remembered the other recent thread when those of us expressing concern about the state of things in the country, were accused of exaggerating

OldMeg Mon 03-Sep-18 08:23:25

Yes, some people are blinkered Iam

Bridgeit Mon 03-Sep-18 09:01:57

May, may be in trouble, but who or what is the alternative?
I cannot remember in my voting years a time when the choice was so uninspiring for want of a better word.
There doesn’t seem to be an abundance of candidates, or perhaps I’m not looking in the right places for information.Surely there has to be some bright sparks waiting in the political wings .

Anniebach Mon 03-Sep-18 09:06:45

I agree Bridgeit, the three parties are in a mess.

nigglynellie Mon 03-Sep-18 09:11:24

A Corbyn/Momentum government any one?!! Boris? Jacob? Vince (Is he still there?!) Think I'll stick with Theresa for the time being anyway!!

Anniebach Mon 03-Sep-18 09:14:36

niggly, poor Vince Cable, he has no voice

nigglynellie Mon 03-Sep-18 09:14:37

"The pussies cried 'miow miew'! Poor pussies, what else can they do?!!!" ?

Anniebach Mon 03-Sep-18 09:18:35

When we come to the next election suppose tossing a coin before going into the voting booth would help.

Bridgeit Mon 03-Sep-18 09:30:42

That’s about it Annibach ?

Bridgeit Mon 03-Sep-18 09:32:52

Not sure why I added a laughing emoji! Should have been a tearful one?or this?

Anniebach Mon 03-Sep-18 09:59:46

Bridgeit. I am past being tearful . As I said on an earlier thread come the election it’s a case of do I want to be hanged or shot. ?

Jane10 Mon 03-Sep-18 10:12:06

As suggested previously it's time for a coalition national government working for the benefit of the country rather than a bunch of self serving/idealogically driven MPs. The brightest and best of the parties not just the same old same old.

Anniebach Mon 03-Sep-18 10:20:13

We don’t hear from the brightest and best Jane. Even the cabinet and shadow cabinet are silent

MaizieD Mon 03-Sep-18 10:31:12

But people don't like coalitions, Jane10. That was one of the reasons that the UK rejected the proposals for PR (though it was a dreadful sort of PR that was proposed) in a referendum.

Jane10 Mon 03-Sep-18 11:34:43

This strikes me as a national emergency. If there is another brexit vote it might succeed, if not, there would have to be another election then God knows who'd get in. Most likely a hung parliament leading to guess what? a coalition. Meanwhile we'd have been put out by the EU as the final date would have passed. Lose lose all round.

annodomini Mon 03-Sep-18 11:50:37

The Tories have one sane voice but Ruth Davidson is their Scottish leader and, besides, expecting a baby next month. Oh dear! What a great antidote she would be to JRM! Can you imagine him accepting leadership by a lesbian?

And I would never vote Tory in a month of Sundays!

OldMeg Mon 03-Sep-18 11:52:05

Exactly! These arguements seem to hinge on ‘but we’ve no one better’, which is exactly what I was saying in the OP.

What a shambles.

No one can deny ANY of the points I’ve highlighted are indeed facts and yet we have this pathetic approach to not doing anything about it.

How very English!

Anniebach Mon 03-Sep-18 11:55:39

How Very English?

OldMeg Mon 03-Sep-18 12:05:51

Yes indeed! Us Celts have more fire in our belly.

OldMeg Mon 03-Sep-18 12:07:22

Please don’t go agreeing with me Annie - not on this thread at least ?