Gransnet forums

News & politics

May in trouble

(149 Posts)
OldMeg Mon 03-Sep-18 08:12:58

How long can we be expected to put up with this woman?

*Our NHS is deliberately being run into the ground, with crises after crises every winter in A&E departments and people dying from lack of doctors, nurses, and wards. All in the name of austerity.

*Our education system is being cut up and torn apart. Some subjects cannot even be offered nowadays because of ‘cuts’ and the lack of staff to teach them as more teachers are leaving the profession than being recruited...even with those LalaLand adverts.

* Families, with young children, are being evicted because housing benefit is either cut, or now being administered efficiently. These are often people in work but tied into poor wages or zero hours contracts.

*This woman couldn’t organise her way out of a paper bag. She calls a General Election, effectively cutting her majority to next to nothing, so she is tied to a party like the DUP.

*And don’t get me started on Brexit! Total shambles. No deal in sight and we are supposed to leave the EU in March 2019.

Why is she still in ‘power’? Simple!

The Tory party cannot come up with anyone better ???

GillT57 Thu 06-Sep-18 11:16:12

No party has ever done that annie, which makes me wonder why the brexit voters keep bleating on about 'the people have spoken' etc. The people speak every blinking election but they don't get what they have voted for. How many people on GN voted Tory when Cameron pledged that nobody would every pay more than £35k for their elderly care? What happened to that? So why, when Brexit is not bringing the unicorns and fairy dust and free hip replacements for all that was promised, why is that sacred, why can't that be thrown back? With a broken manifesto promise, the electorate can show their displeasure, can elect a new government every 5 years. With this Brexit nonsense, like nuclear power, we are leaving the bloody mess for future generations to deal with. I cannot express ( although I do try), just how exasperated I am by this lifetime and beyond decision being made based on lies, obfuscation and false promises, and being chosen by people who will, in the main, not have to live through the catastrophic consequences.

Grandad1943 Thu 06-Sep-18 11:45:21

With the open riffs in the Tory Cabinet things are certainly not going to get any better GillT57.

The chancellor is in open warfare with many others in the government and leading Tory backbenchers.

So much for "strong and stable government.

The longstanding Labour Party members on the forum must be " over the moon " at the state of the Tory party.

MaizieD Thu 06-Sep-18 13:14:06

Trouble is, Grandad the Labour Party isn't in a much better state than the tories.

Grandad1943 Thu 06-Sep-18 14:03:00

MaizieD Quote [Trouble is, Grandad the Labour Party isn't in a much better state than the tories.] End quote.

I could not agree more MaizieD, but there are on this forum members who by their posts would have us believe that all the problems are in the Labour Party

Even those who state they are long standing members or supporters of Labour seem reluctant to bring forward criticism of the Tory Party.

Strange that.

POGS Thu 06-Sep-18 14:52:51

Grandad

Sigh.

How many more times ?

Anniebach Thu 06-Sep-18 14:58:36

As a Labour Party member , how hypocritical for me to criticise another party when the party I chose to join is in turmoil

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 15:03:08

Even those who state they are long standing members or supporters of Labour seem reluctant to bring forward criticism of the Tory Party.

Actually, I don't find it strange at all Grandad but perhaps I have a logical mind.
If someone is a longstanding member of a party - and that affiliation goes back generations too - then, when they see their beloved party in such disarray they are alarmed, upset and disappointed because they think they will never see a Labour Government again.

They probably don't care enough about the Tory Party to bother criticising it.

I know my DF would be feeling the same - and I know members of my family feel this way too (could never vote other than Labour but find themselves in a quandary now).

Grandad1943 Thu 06-Sep-18 15:33:27

POGS, Anniebach, Jalima1108, I can understand those Labour supporters who find the present problems of their party "distressing". Therefore I feel that in pointing out the current issues of the Tory party perhaps brings some better balance and perspective into their political judgment. smile

For we can all remember TM on the steps of Downing Street at the start of her premiership promising "strong and stable government". Now, what happened to that.

However, I would have thought Labour members and supporters would have loved to have "tucked into that one", whatever the problems of their own party just as I have done. grin

OldMeg Thu 06-Sep-18 16:17:26

Ignore the sighs Grandad you make some very valid, sensible, contributions to the debate.

Grandad1943 Thu 06-Sep-18 16:21:35

Many thanks OldMeg.

POGS Thu 06-Sep-18 17:01:41

Grandad

" POGS, Anniebach, Jalima1108, I can understand those Labour supporters who find the present problems of their party "distressing". Therefore I feel that in pointing out the current issues of the Tory party perhaps brings some better balance and perspective into their political judgment. smile "

Grandad I have no issue with your pointing out the current issues of the Tory Party. Why would I?

I have no issue with balance being brought to any thread.

But the repetitive attack that is aimed at a particular poster on ' so many threads ' is neither discussing Labour or Tories with any gravitas nor is it remotely balanced. It is getting quite shameful .

Grandad1943 Thu 06-Sep-18 17:18:07

POGS I have not made an attack on "any particular poster". In fact, I very rarely name any forum members in my posts of recent times with the exception of the one today when I wished to address the posts of three members in one reply.

Perhaps after being on the forum for several months now I am somewhat wiser to its vulnerabilities and pitfalls for the male species. smile

Anniebach Thu 06-Sep-18 18:44:06

Point away grandad1943, my political judgement has only failed me once , I voted for Corbyn in the leadership contest ,wrong decision, still cringe at being taken in by such a hypocrite

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 18:47:19

Therefore I feel that in pointing out the current issues of the Tory party perhaps brings some better balance and perspective into their political judgment.
Please do, Grandad, please do.

But I didn't vote for them (I didn't vote Labour either for that matter).

Grandad1943 Thu 06-Sep-18 19:12:24

Apologies Jalima1108 on reading another thread that I have deliberately refrained from posting on, I now realise the political position you take in regard to the Labour party which I respect. Again apologies for including you in an earlier post.

anniebach, I have no idea what you mean by your "point away" remark in your above post. I have not engaged in a thread which you seem to believe was opened in regard to you and your "sole activitity" on this forum.

Therefore I have not directly addressed or "pointed" to you for a considerable period of time.

Anniebach Thu 06-Sep-18 19:51:05

“Therefore I feel in pointing out the current issues of the Tory party etc”

grandad1943, who were you pointing to?

Thank you for admitting you had pointed to me in the past.

Grandad1943 Thu 06-Sep-18 20:19:35

Anniebach, make of my post what you will. Looks like you are attempting to start some kind of argument that I will not engage in.

Anyway, I am on a train which is just about to arrive into Bristol Temple Meads where I have to change for North Somerset.

So, I will allow you to return to your usual "critique".

POGS Thu 06-Sep-18 20:25:55

Grandad 1943

" Therefore I feel that in pointing out the current issues of the Tory party perhaps brings some better balance and perspective into their political judgment. smile

How kind of you to bring some balance and perspective into other GN posters political judgement.

However , with your permission, I think most of us are capable of viewing when somebody is being balanced and certainly capable of making our own political judgement.

Oops nearly forgot smile

Anniebach Thu 06-Sep-18 20:29:37

grandad, you will ALLOW me ? I don’t recall asking your permission to do or say anything.

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 22:46:00

Apologies Jalima1108 on reading another thread that I have deliberately refrained from posting on, I now realise the political position you take in regard to the Labour party which I respect.
I don't think I differ (*at present*) from others on here, though, who may have been included in your earlier post Grandad.
Although I have been known to float from time to time.

varian Sun 09-Sep-18 20:02:31

'Chequers plan is dead,' says MP, who reported rejection by Barnier

www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/05/chequers-plan-is-dead-says-mp-who-reported-rejection-by-barnier

Jane10 Sun 09-Sep-18 21:25:28

I was amused by one of the panellists on 'Mock the Week' : she said that if the current government was a family they'd have had a social worker appointed to them by now!

OldMeg Mon 10-Sep-18 06:54:20

?