Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Last Days of Mrs May?

(582 Posts)
trisher Wed 12-Sep-18 11:42:36

So 50 MPs met to discuss getting rid of her, should we be counting the days? Or will she simply stay because there's no other suitable candidate and no one wants a poisoned chalice?

Anniebach Wed 12-Sep-18 22:01:03

Heseltine with Thatcher,

specki4eyes Wed 12-Sep-18 22:46:39

Diana54 "TM will see it through"?!! What in heaven's name can you base that statement on? With her so called Chequers plan she will commit the UK to continuing to pay continuing dues to the EU, but with none of the benefits nor the voting rights of membership.
What she will "see through" is that, in just a few months, the people of the UK will be herded off the edge of the cliff like mindless sheep.
We need a people's vote on this. The electorate has changed during the time TM has been dithering.

paddyann Wed 12-Sep-18 23:49:50

I already said on another thread I'd heard that all Tory and Labour MP's have been told to cancel October holidays ...thats sounds like a snap election to me .

Anniebach Thu 13-Sep-18 09:19:38

There is no holiday in October, the house sits again after the first week in October

Telly Thu 13-Sep-18 10:14:36

They will leave Mrs May in until it is over bar the shouting. That way she can be blamed for negotiating the exit strategy when it all goes pear shaped. Then we will have a Tory gallant, who will be white, public school, male, step into the breach and save us. Or something like that. If Labour could get their act together they would be walking all over them.

Anniebach Thu 13-Sep-18 10:20:18

If labour turned away from the far left , had a leader who didn’t sit on the fence and worked for all we would have the success of 1997.

trisher Thu 13-Sep-18 10:56:43

Does Barnier want to continue negotiating with the Tory team? I thoughthe called the Chequers proposal "illegal, insane and fraudulent" Has he changed his mind.
I'm wondering how many of the 50 have put things in writing to the 1922 committee, if there's enough they must be trawling for a new leader!

GillT57 Thu 13-Sep-18 11:14:40

I think you are absolutely right Telly. The backstabbers will not step forward, they will meddle and undermine but they will not wish to be the one in charge when everything goes badly wrong, and it will. he who weilds the knife never wears the crown. Nobody wants to be in charge next March when the fools finally realise they have been lied to hoodwinked. And yes, Annie this bloody mess is handing the future government to the Labour party on a plate, and still they carry on with their infighting, skullduggery and general nastiness to anyone who doesn't strictly follow the party line. I truly despair. We need a national government in this time of looming national emergency.

GillT57 Thu 13-Sep-18 11:15:22

Sorry. wields.

lemongrove Thu 13-Sep-18 14:05:35

I don't think anyone will challenge for the PM's job this side of Christmas, nor do I think there will be a GE any time soon.
Both Conservatives and Labour are infighting without much conviction, lots of talk but little action.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 13-Sep-18 14:59:30

There seems to be a lot of "willy waving" with nobody having the "canuhas" to do anything about anything (excuse my analogy)

TM will be here till after Brexit, "they" will leave her in power to be the "fallguy". Maybe, who knows it might well turn out to be fine? In which case JC and his loony lefts with all their infighting would have missed the boat!!!

Jalima1108 Thu 13-Sep-18 19:45:52

I hope that was metaphorical and not literal GG13 shock

Is anyone reminded off Ancient Rome?

Jalima1108 Thu 13-Sep-18 19:46:14

of.

Off to Pedants' Corner I go.

Anniebach Thu 13-Sep-18 19:58:25

The leader of the Tory party is being stsbbed in the back by some of her fellow MP’s and the leader of the Labour Party is stabbing some of his fellow MP’s in the back

Overthehills Thu 13-Sep-18 20:38:23

Just reading Robert Harris’s “Dictator” Jalima ...

lemongrove Thu 13-Sep-18 20:56:04

'Infamy, infamy! They've all got it in for me!' grin

Jalima1108 Thu 13-Sep-18 21:22:15

Overthehills grin
I must read that one!

travelsafar Mon 17-Sep-18 13:51:23

I think TM is intelligent enough to know that she will be outed after next March at some point. David Cameron got out so the same couldnt be done to him. She knows she is doing a job that no one else wants to do or could do better but they won't own up to it, instead they try to ridicule her. Once we leave she will be blamed for anything that doesn't suit us whether it is her fault or not. I think she is very brave to stand up to them all. Also if they get her out of office she will have earned a lovely lump of money to see her through her old age and she will go down in history as the woman who got us out of the EU. I say Well doneTM you are cuter than you look.

Smileless2012 Mon 17-Sep-18 13:59:55

I couldn't agree more travelsafar. She's doing a great job in near impossible circumstances.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Sep-18 14:08:20

Well said travelsofar ???

Bridgeit Mon 17-Sep-18 14:20:26

Prefer TM any day against the Backstabbers she is surrounded by, not the sort of people I want to put my trust in !

Anniebach Mon 17-Sep-18 14:48:23

I agree travelsafar

Diana54 Tue 18-Sep-18 08:04:14

Those of you that don't like TM will be proved wrong at present there is nowhere near a majority if Tories willing to out her. She will stay as PM, you all saw Gove state yesterday that what ever the deal " future governments will want to renegotiate any deal".

THE EU IS NEVER GOING TO ALLOW THAT.

It will be a permanent deal whatever it is, personally I don't believe parliament will approve a deal with strings like Norway has. So either we break all ties and leave or parliament calls a second referendum, if they result is stay we stay, if it is leave we are out.

It will be Parliament that makes the decision because TM will have no majority, maybe MPs will vote in the national interest, but I'm not betting on that.

sodapop Tue 18-Sep-18 08:08:46

Totally agree travelasfar

Anniebach Tue 18-Sep-18 09:21:49

Labour will abstain no matter what the deal is. They want a general election.