Gransnet forums

News & politics

Serena’s “meltdown “

(93 Posts)
MawBroon Wed 12-Sep-18 12:13:22

As anti- discrimination as the next person, I was nevertheless appalled by her tantrum on court recently.
It was shocking and frankly embarrassing.
Williams insisted that the umpire Carlos Ramos had been sexist because male players don’t get punished for behaving as she did.
“I’m here fighting for women’s rights and for women’s equality and for all kinds of stuff,” she protested, sending up sexist (possibly even racist) grievance flak to distract attention from one key fact: she was a bad loser.
Peehaps she is not entirely wrong. There remains a huge double standard when it comes to how female behaviour is regarded.
However, on this occasion Williams didn’t have a good reason. The stats from the US Open on code violations contradict her: Men 86, Women 22.
What price sportsmanlike behaviour? What is the right way to behave to respect both sport and our opponents?
The bottom line is, Venus Williams may have a great talent but also seems to have a massive ego.
And she has shown herself to be a very bad loser, ultimately doing no favours to women in sport.

Alima Wed 12-Sep-18 12:18:42

If I knew how to post a link I would post the one of the cartoon doing the rounds. Some people say it is racist, the way Serena was portrayed throwing her tantrum. When I saw what happened on courtmy first thought was she is heading for a breakdown.

OldMeg Wed 12-Sep-18 12:30:09

I felt sorry for Naomi Osaka it was her first Grand Slam title and she deserved better, rather than having her moment spoilt by brattish behaviour.

MawBroon Wed 12-Sep-18 12:33:42

Oops Freudian slip! Wrong Williams sister [bllush] Apologies to Venus!

JackyB Wed 12-Sep-18 12:37:10

I didn't see it but I've heard a lot about it. She is probably just demanding too much of herself - she's only just had a baby, after all.

maryeliza54 Wed 12-Sep-18 12:37:41

Well Alima thank goodness your lack of technical skills prevents your posting a clearly racist cartoon.

Alima Wed 12-Sep-18 12:39:14

Thanks for that me54.

gillybob Wed 12-Sep-18 12:41:51

This was discussed at length recently on the Kirsty Allsop thread.

I agree with maryeliza (the cartoons are horribly racist) and the words of Billie Jean King who said ;

"When a woman is emotional, she’s “hysterical” and she’s penalized for it. When a man does the same, he’s “outspoken” & and there are no repercussions. Thank you, @serenawilliams, for calling out this double standard. More voices are needed to do the same".

OldMeg Wed 12-Sep-18 13:00:30

It’s all very well BJK saying that, but this is only defending the indefensible.

Serena was losing. She was being coached from the sidelines. She lost points and smashed her racquet. She completely lost her temper.

She was not defending women’s rights she was behaving abominably. She was playing into the hands of those who think that women can be ‘hysterical’ by this emotional outburst.

sodapop Wed 12-Sep-18 13:14:52

I agree OldMeg but I do wonder if Serena is suffering some post partum emotional issues.

Jane10 Wed 12-Sep-18 13:15:49

I agree OldMeg and MawBroon. A very poor example to up and coming female players.

merlotgran Wed 12-Sep-18 13:17:19

Having a baby is no excuse for her behaviour. The child is a toddler now. Nobody has forced Serena to resume her career and quite frankly I'm appalled at her lack of control. I hope the poor child never has to witness such a tantrum or be in the path of one.

OldMeg Wed 12-Sep-18 13:21:37

God forbid merlot ?

merlotgran Wed 12-Sep-18 13:21:50

I don't believe the cartoon is racist. It's a caricature and white sportsmen/women/celebs have had exactly the same treatment when they've behaved badly in public.

Remember the Chalkdust song about John McEnroe and is anyone up in arms about Trump cartoons?

gillybob Wed 12-Sep-18 13:24:20

I agree with most of what you say Oldmeg and I know 2 wrongs don't make a right, but has she really done anything different to what plenty of male tennis players have done before ? SW gets a huge amount of sexist and racist abuse and I wonder if she just cracked?

No excuse for bad behaviour I know, but they really shouldn't treat a black woman losing her temper any different to how they treat a white man for doing the same.

DanniRae Wed 12-Sep-18 13:53:47

I know when I lose my temper and 'go into one' (very rarely, of course) I feel awful the next day and ashamed of myself. I wonder how Serena is feeling now?

Jane10 Wed 12-Sep-18 13:57:11

Gillybob- 'you can not be serious'! Who can forget how pilloried John McEnroe was for losing his temper at an umpire. He was a white male too.
Get a grip Serena.

merlotgran Wed 12-Sep-18 14:02:23

I don't remember any outrage from either JM or AM.

gillybob Wed 12-Sep-18 14:02:58

Not sure if he was pilloried or laughed at and enjoyed Jane10 . I remember "You cannot be serious" as being a bit of a catch phrase and many people watched his matches just waiting for a "kick off" of some kind.

Jane10 Wed 12-Sep-18 16:02:02

He got into trouble for it Gillybob. He didn't do it for a laugh at the time. Like Serena he lost it!

BlueBelle Wed 12-Sep-18 16:14:06

But john Mcinroe was about 30 years ago is that the only example of males losing it anyone can come up with

I saw a clip on the news and thought it was disgusting and showed Her up badly I too wondered if it was connected with baby hormones it was an awful abusive display and let her down big time she looked like a spoilt child and sounded like a fisher woman she’s was loud angry and selfishly took the shine off the other girls win

notanan2 Wed 12-Sep-18 16:16:08

Sportsmen throw tantrums all the time & it doesn't make the mainstream news.

That's the point.
Not whether or not its right/wrong to throw tantrums in the first place, we all know its not.

specki4eyes Wed 12-Sep-18 16:23:42

OldMeg I do so agree with you. Three rules were blatantly and arrogantly broken. The umpire has a job to do and he did it.
What confuses me is where 'sexism' comes into her thinking? Just because, in her opinion, Carlos Ramos would not have penalised a man for the same offences...it was just that - her opinion. She could could equally have charged him with 'racism'.
She is a good tennis player but she has always been a drama queen. She flouts the rules and expects to get away with it, and when she doesn't, she throws a violent tantrum. Remember when she threatened to kill a line judge a few years back? She was out of control and she deserved all the penalties she got.
I'm incensed with the likes of BJK and Sue Barker coming to her aid. What is the point of having rules if they can be broken just because a player is top ranking?
I felt so sorry for the very very good player who won the tournament. All the shine of her victory was 'stolen' by a 'thief'.

specki4eyes Wed 12-Sep-18 16:25:13

I mean falselycharged him with 'racism'.

Anniebach Wed 12-Sep-18 16:29:57

Did she not call him a thief and a liar ?