Gransnet forums

News & politics

How can we ensure views on Gransnet are given a broader hearin?

(144 Posts)
MarthaBeck Tue 18-Sep-18 16:53:17

Yesterday, I suffered a long boring train journey which was running rather late. Fortunately, I had my iPad and the opportunity to read far more constructive contributions to gransnet than I normally do. I became very aware that right across our Forum subject matters, a very high percentage of the comments were invaluable in the way they disseminated information and helped to provide informed opinions.

That focussed my mind on could those contributions be put to far better use, especially by perhaps focusing decision makers to take greater account of the massive talent and ranges of views on gransnet? Particularly, those which suggest solutions that are often outside the box but extremely constructive in their approach to problem solving.

My question is simply how can gransnet members influence
decision makers and bureaucrats to help improve our society by listen more and taking greater account of what we have to say?

I suppose I am asking the impossible and seeking a utopia
which is beyond reach. Mainly Imhave to accept because our politicians and bureaucrats will always have their own agendas and rarely listen to views outside their tribal political circles. I must becoming more cynical.

Chewbacca Thu 20-Sep-18 17:41:23

"Justine" is the founder of both Mumsnet and Gransnet Grandad. I'm sure that she would give a fair hearing to any complaints you have regarding gender bias that you've allegedly experienced on these boards.

Fennel Thu 20-Sep-18 17:43:56

Grandad wrote
"The Gay Comunity leaders have stated of recent that they are to target internet sites that they feel discriminate against them where practicable. Therefore, these forums with the titles of Mumsnet and Gransnet could well become one of those targets in the future."
I think they have already done that on Mumsnet, a year or 2 ago,

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Sep-18 17:49:24

As this is an anonymous site Grandad, it is impossible to know for sure the gender/sexual orientation of any poster, unless they make it obvious.

Grandad1943 Thu 20-Sep-18 17:53:05

Fennel, was that a legal challenge against the names of the websites.

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Sep-18 17:53:35

Who is "Justine" Jalimal
Justine Roberts Grandad
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justine_Roberts

And I could be male and have a DH

Fennel Thu 20-Sep-18 17:57:53

"Fennel, was that a legal challenge against the names of the websites."
I can't remember the details. But I don't think so. Just challenging the views of some forum members.

MawBroon Thu 20-Sep-18 18:04:00

What on Earth makes you think a wider audience would be interested in 15 threads of games? Long turgid diatribes of perceived discrimination or moans about wicked DILs?

Grandad1943 Thu 20-Sep-18 18:14:21

MawBroon, perhaps a with wider audience there would be a far more comprehensive range of threads of interests to both genders.

MawBroon Thu 20-Sep-18 18:15:00

The creation of a thread is open to anybody and everybody

Elegran Thu 20-Sep-18 18:18:31

If those men who have joined would start threads on subjects that interested them, there would be a range of subjects that interest men.

What subjects would you like to see, Grandad ?

Anniebach Thu 20-Sep-18 18:18:50

The forum name could be changed from GransNet to

let’s UNITE

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Sep-18 18:23:46

Grandad, out of the list of forums linked by Elegran above, what do you think would be suitable topics for all genders to discuss?

There must be some.

Actually, I've just had a peek and there are only two or three which may not be suitable for men imo.

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Sep-18 18:24:31

Anniebach great idea!!
grin

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Sep-18 18:25:37

Would you like to list your policies for the future of Mumsnet and Gransnet Grandad?

Where's grumppa when you need him hmm

Grandad1943 Thu 20-Sep-18 18:31:58

Elegran, I believe threads on men's health would be of interest if there were to be a greater male presence on this forum.

Why are men reluctant to seek medical advise when they feel they may have problems developing could make a good topic.

However, I am still working and would not have the time at present to represent a thread I started in the way I would wish to. Also I do not feel there are sufficient other males on the forum to maintain a reasonable discussion.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Sep-18 18:36:50

Grandad you could always start your own forum for like minded fellows.

Elegran Thu 20-Sep-18 18:44:18

Why not start the thread anyway, Grandad ? When Gransnet was first launched, in 2011, the first members were mostly new to social networking so they just started conversations on subjects they were interested in or wanted to hear other people's views on. The threads reflected what the posters wanted to post. They didn't know how to "represent the thread" because they were new to posting. Other people replied and the threads represented themselves, according to how those posting said what they thought. That is the only way that a non-moderated forum without a permanent host and "compere" can progress.

If you can compose the posts that you have usually published, you can frame an introductory post under the "Health" topic (topics are listed in the page acessed bythe relevant button above". Others will reply. You may well get a preponderance of female replies, but if you say that it is a serious enquiry into why men are so reluctant to take action on their health, you will get serious opinions.

If you really want male replies, you could send private mesages to the men in the membership, asking them if they could help you out by posting.

You have to be pro-active and take positive steps yourself, not complain about the situation and nag someone else to change it all to suit you.

Anniebach Thu 20-Sep-18 18:48:07

Most threads are fine for men to post on.

Mothers in law,

Grandchildren

Dieting

Alcohol abuse

National Trust

Gardening

Music of the sixties and seventies

Jam making

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Sep-18 18:49:59

Elegran, I believe threads on men's health would be of interest if there were to be a greater male presence on this forum.

www.gransnet.com/forums/health

The forum title is not discriminatory, it is merely Health; however, I don't know how you would attract more men to post on there unless GN advertises.

Perhaps an advertising campaign?

Grandad1943 Thu 20-Sep-18 18:54:08

Elegran, I do not believe I am "nagging" anyone on the forum, just stating a point of view on a tread that was already started.

As I said I am still working full time (more than full time at present) and can only post on late afternoon or evenings, I simply do not have the time to PM others regarding any subject at the moment.

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Sep-18 18:56:55

You could just report your long post of earlier today which would bring it to the attention of GNHQ.
Add a little explanatory note, it wouldn't take a minute.

Grandad1943 Thu 20-Sep-18 19:03:23

Jalima1108, reference to long post. That is the problem with mobilr speech recognition software you can easily get carried away as it is exactly as speaking it to someone on the phone

Apologies to anyone who found it too long :-)

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Sep-18 19:04:39

No, just a suggestion of how to let GNHQ know about your suggestions.

Grandad1943 Thu 20-Sep-18 19:06:39

Jalima1108, I will look into that tomorrow.

Many thanks.

jaclovesdogs Thu 20-Sep-18 19:32:06

I would suggest that you both move into one of the houses (his or yours) and try this for a year to see if you will get on be happy and if it works you can go ahead and live together but once you have sold both houses there’s no going back so trial it first.