Gransnet forums

News & politics

Northern Ireland and Brexit

(364 Posts)
MaizieD Sat 29-Sep-18 10:42:25

An Irishman tries yet again to explain the huge Brexit problem with NI. In response to yet another airy dismissal by Boris Johnson:

Start

Patrick Kielty @patrickielty
And please.... please don't tell me it's "our money" or that the UK government would have done it anyway because I can't be bothered to take you by the hand, lead you to a corner and explain simple things in words of one syllable

1. Northern Ireland is made up of a majority of Unionists (as in the Conservative and Unionist Party) and, believe it or not, a rather large minority of Nationalists (as in Irish Nationalists)

2. These Irish Nationalists don’t see themselves as British but rather inconveniently as Irish (who knew?)

3. For over 30 years we killed each other because of these differences which means Northern Ireland is nothing like Camden or Westminster.

4. The Good Friday Agreement ended that violence by the following devious magic - Unionists were guaranteed that Northern Ireland would be part of the UK until the majority voted otherwise.

The Irish was border was removed and the island linked so Nationalists could pretend they were already living in a United Ireland (yes, Tony Blair did slight of hand much better than you)

5. Some of these Nationalists then accepted being part of the UK as their day to day lives were essentially Irish.

6. This cunning plan was sold to us on the basis that we were all part of the EU therefore fixation on nationality was so last World War.

7. Implementing the Good Friday Agreement was torturous (think Brexit with actual bombs, not metaphorical suicide vests) but we finally made peace. Yet 20 years later NI remains a divided society.

8. Thanks to your glorious Brexit vision Northern Ireland will become more divided as some form of economic border checks will become part of daily lives.

9. If those checks take place between NI and Ireland, the Nationalists who were once happy being part of the UK will change their mind.

10. If they take place in the Irish Sea some Unionists will be livid. However they'll still support being part of the UK (the clue is in the Unionist bit)

11. Your Brexit lies have opened a Pandora’s box for Northern Ireland. It's one reason why the majority of people in NI voted to remain in the EU (almost as if they knew more about the fragile equilibrium of their politics than you)

12. Barely mentioned before Brexit, a border poll is now inevitable thanks to your monumental ignorance.

13. When that poll is eventually held the Nationalists who were once content being part of a Northern Ireland within the UK and EU will vote to leave the UK to feel as Irish and European as they did before Brexit.

14. The poll will be much closer thanks to your Brexit folly and could easily be lost by Unionists, breaking up the UK.

15. Any break up of the Union will be your fault (a tad inconvenient as a member of the Conservative and er, Unionist party)

16. The EU is not responsible for your blundering lack of foresight. Like most people in Northern Ireland they were happy with the status quo.

17. By the time the penny drops that you can’t preserve the Union you want without the one you don’t, it will be too late.

18. You will be remembered not as the Churchillian visionary you delude yourself to be but the ignoramus who triggered the break up of the UK.

19. If there’s any justice all this will come to pass when you're Prime Minister so you can finally swim in the constitutional sewage you've created (though we all know you’ll be in Nice with your trotters up)

20. Meantime, if you’re so concerned about keeping Northern Ireland totally aligned with the rest of the UK where’s your support for our same sex marriage and women’s right to choose? Your silence is deafening.

End

In a nutshell, so to speak grin

mcem Tue 02-Oct-18 22:45:11

The Irish question was one of my main reasons for voting remain.
I'm disgusted at how long this vital issue, has taken to filter through the Brexit dross and is finally being discussed.
As for the view that the Scots and the Irish should be permitted to leave the UK - that simply shows, if truth be told, that the poster just doesn't give a damn and is entirely taken up with the jingoistic Brexit pro-england approach that is so obvious on this and other threads.

Judthepud2 Wed 03-Oct-18 16:30:59

Jura I have just got my Irish passport, long overdue. I had an Irish grandmother and an English grandmother but neither are needed. Born and bred in N. Ireland which automatically entitles me to dual nationality. And now I can still retain my EU citizenship too. wink

muffinthemoo Wed 03-Oct-18 16:38:46

The absolute lack of concern shown for the prosperity and safety of the people of Northern Ireland by some of the prominent Leavers leaves me disgusted and in despair.

The future of Northern Ireland is more important than any poorly argued faff about “sovereignty”.

There was a bloody civil war in all but name raging in NI, and the deal that brought peace, increased prosperity in a place ravaged by poverty, and started moving a very divided community forwards is to be binned as if none of that matters.

The NI question is the single most important issue for the Brexit architects to resolve, bar none.

Grandad1943 Thu 04-Oct-18 07:11:22

I entirely agree with your above post muffinthemoo. None of the hardline Brexitiers has come forward with any answers to the Northern Ireland problem either at the Conservative Party Conference, in parliament, or on this forum as they all spout the nonsense that "we should just walk away",

In the above, It is still the same old garbage of " lets all sick our fingers in our ears, our heads in the sand and jump off the cliff together and hope somehow we find a soft landing".

Well, that landing when it comes to Northern Ireland could very much cost lives in that island and here on the mainland of Britain. However, to the Brexitiers that is not something to be considered, its all "pie in the sky, rule Britania", and those that have money in investments move it into European Union countries as there will be more stability there following Brexit, or so states Jacob Rees Mogg.

What a crowd,

varian Thu 04-Oct-18 11:45:21

I wish that every time these brexiters say they're going to bring back control of our borders, the interviewer would ask them how that could be possible if there is no border with Ireland.

jura2 Thu 04-Oct-18 16:51:45

Oh yes, Varian- you would think that would be as obvious...

as asking how they will get back control of all the major utilities that have been sold to EU members, the Chinese, the Russians, etc, etc.

Grandad1943 Thu 04-Oct-18 17:17:20

Yes jura2, it is the same as asking how the Brexitiers will achieve their goal of leaving the European Union without having a hard border in Ireland

That I believe is what this thread is supposed to be discussing, but once again no answers seem to be forthcoming

jura2 Thu 04-Oct-18 17:28:35

29th of September, so nearly a week, and not a single proposal has come forward, not a single measly one:

Just one question to any Leaver- a simple one.

Please demonstrate a viable solution for the Irish Border.

So, can we know say that this is because .... the obvious .... there is NONE whatosever.

muffinthemoo Fri 05-Oct-18 12:30:10

The border with Ireland is the external border of the EU.

It has to exist in some form. It is not possible to leave a ‘borderless zone’ and ‘take back control of borders’ without defining where the borders actually are.

Take a red pen and draw around the UK on a map. That will be the new external border of the UK.

You can either draw along the current NI/ROI border, or put a line down the Irish Sea. But you have to join the border up somewhere.

The idea that the UK will have some incomplete external border as a fudge to the Irish issue is a complete non starter, because there must be some physical point where the UK ends and the EU begins.

Grandad1943 Sat 06-Oct-18 07:48:44

Great analysis of the Irish border situation in your above post postmuffinthemoo. Regarding that, and as stated, there have been no solutions put forward by the Brexitiers on this forum in all the time this thread has been running. That I believe, demonstrates only too well the weakness of the whole Brexit position.

Outside of the debate on this forum, the Irish government seems to have "woken up" at long last to the fact that their economy has as much to lose as that of the UK in all this Brexit nonsense.

The above I believe could play a crucial role in the next two weeks as the EU Council of Ministers prepares for their meeting on Brexit later this month.

However, in parliament, we still have this Tory government unable to agree among themselves on any aspect of how Brexit should be carried out, and that situation may prevent Britain from achieving any gain from the Irish governments weakened stance.

GillT57 Sat 06-Oct-18 10:33:32

It is a simple problem in a way; the solution is the hard bit. As a EU citizen, anyone can enter Eire and then travel to NI, as there cannot be a border between NI and the Republic. So, is everyone who does this to be allowed to get on the ferry and come onto the mainland which would be non EU? Are there to be passport checks at the ferry ports? Will Brits be able to wave their blue passports in the air and walk through while all the 'foreigners' get checked? Now that I have put it in very simple terms, I await a reply from Brexiteers, suggesting a solution. Best not hold my breathe though eh?

jura2 Sat 06-Oct-18 16:26:06

Now, for those 'Paddy passports' - where people are suddenly remembering their long lost relatives and getting their passport via said grandparent, etc.

Increasingly, I hear about people who have firmly voted for Brexit - and yet are now availing themselves of that loophole to avoid the consequences. Does anyone know of such cases- of Brexiters now getting their Paddy Passports?

GillT57 Sat 06-Oct-18 22:20:05

No jura2 but bloody Nigel Lawson, arch Brexiteer has applied for residency in France where he has second home. As an indication of his merit, he also argued vehemently against climate change measures. Deluded in every way then.

jura2 Sat 06-Oct-18 22:30:09

I would like to know, re Nigel Lawson, how can he be permanently resident in France, pay his taxes in France, etc, etc, and still be allowed to take his seat in the Lords. Surely, residents abroad should not be allowed to do so.

Does anyone know the rules re the Lords?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 06-Oct-18 22:33:58

jura2 I seldom agree with you but - I guess the H of L are not subject to the rules of the general public.

MaizieD Sat 06-Oct-18 23:09:07

I think that he is in the H of L only because he has a British peerage. Where he lives is irrelevant; it's the peerage itself and its British origin which entitles him to his seat. He could live on the moon and still be entitled to sit in the UK H of L.

jura2 Sun 07-Oct-18 09:43:39

It does not seem quite 'Democratic', does it? If citizens live abroad for 15 years, they lose their vote- but Lords who have a massive influence on politics, can live on the moon and continue to do so?

paddyann Sun 07-Oct-18 09:52:05

I watched a programme about the "Troubles" late last night ,it was heartbreaking .God help those who may be facing a return to those situations and shame on Westminster for not keeping the Good Friday agreement in place to safeguard families like the ones shown .From BOTH sides of the divide they were left bereft and broken and we seem uncaring about repeating the whole sorry mess when we can keep the peace so easily.It is an uneasy peace but it has held and will if nothing is changed .

jura2 Sun 07-Oct-18 09:54:40

My sil is 49- and grew up on the border. We were walking in their small town in England, and a car backfired as it went past. He threw himself on the ground with his arms and hands around his head.

I just could not understand what was going on and I laughed- what he told me was NOT funny, at all. It was all so recent.

jura2 Sun 07-Oct-18 10:17:39

'I haven’t applied for one but I’m eligible for an Irish passport so I’ll probably pick one up. I also voted Leave in the referendum and would do so again, with redoubled enthusiasm. There's nothing hypocritical about collecting another passport. Firstly, I’m entitled to it and there might just be some advantage to be had e.g. using a slightly shorter queue to leave an airport. But by far the best reason is that my Remain friends will go utterly ballistic with indignation.

I’ll have to pick my time— perhaps in the middle of another heated discussion on the pros and cons of EU membership. "I don’t care any more if Brits won’t get preferential treatment applying for jobs in the EU," I’ll say. They’ll ask why not. I’ll reach into my inside pocket, pull out my Irish passport and give it a triumphant little twirl. Their faces! '

This is the kind of thing I am talking about as being vastly hypocritical. Can't give my sources, but a real case of someone who is living very comfortably abroad.

Diana54 Sun 07-Oct-18 10:43:14

There is no solution to Ireland while the Unionists oppose any talk of unification , right or wrong that's the way it is. While there was an open border the problem went into remission but was not eliminated, it will return unless there is a customs union.

The was one final solution that was talked about a lot at the height of the troubles .
Tow Ireland out into the Atlantic and sink it!. There wasnt a large enough tug available.

Unless we want to turn the clock back 40 yrs an agreement is needed or the violence will resume.

MawBroon Sun 07-Oct-18 10:49:55

Is it only me who thinks Arlene Foster looks like Les Dawson in drag? grin

jura2 Sun 07-Oct-18 11:03:26

No, but this is pretty irrelevant to putting forward solutions for the border. Have you got one to shrare, please?

MawBroon Sun 07-Oct-18 11:30:41

blush #justsaying

Paw’s family are all entitled to Irish passports. I believe his younger sister is applying for one.
In the meantime Hattie has hers

jura2 Sun 07-Oct-18 11:30:49

share, even?