Gransnet forums

News & politics

Northern Ireland and Brexit

(364 Posts)
MaizieD Sat 29-Sep-18 10:42:25

An Irishman tries yet again to explain the huge Brexit problem with NI. In response to yet another airy dismissal by Boris Johnson:

Start

Patrick Kielty @patrickielty
And please.... please don't tell me it's "our money" or that the UK government would have done it anyway because I can't be bothered to take you by the hand, lead you to a corner and explain simple things in words of one syllable

1. Northern Ireland is made up of a majority of Unionists (as in the Conservative and Unionist Party) and, believe it or not, a rather large minority of Nationalists (as in Irish Nationalists)

2. These Irish Nationalists don’t see themselves as British but rather inconveniently as Irish (who knew?)

3. For over 30 years we killed each other because of these differences which means Northern Ireland is nothing like Camden or Westminster.

4. The Good Friday Agreement ended that violence by the following devious magic - Unionists were guaranteed that Northern Ireland would be part of the UK until the majority voted otherwise.

The Irish was border was removed and the island linked so Nationalists could pretend they were already living in a United Ireland (yes, Tony Blair did slight of hand much better than you)

5. Some of these Nationalists then accepted being part of the UK as their day to day lives were essentially Irish.

6. This cunning plan was sold to us on the basis that we were all part of the EU therefore fixation on nationality was so last World War.

7. Implementing the Good Friday Agreement was torturous (think Brexit with actual bombs, not metaphorical suicide vests) but we finally made peace. Yet 20 years later NI remains a divided society.

8. Thanks to your glorious Brexit vision Northern Ireland will become more divided as some form of economic border checks will become part of daily lives.

9. If those checks take place between NI and Ireland, the Nationalists who were once happy being part of the UK will change their mind.

10. If they take place in the Irish Sea some Unionists will be livid. However they'll still support being part of the UK (the clue is in the Unionist bit)

11. Your Brexit lies have opened a Pandora’s box for Northern Ireland. It's one reason why the majority of people in NI voted to remain in the EU (almost as if they knew more about the fragile equilibrium of their politics than you)

12. Barely mentioned before Brexit, a border poll is now inevitable thanks to your monumental ignorance.

13. When that poll is eventually held the Nationalists who were once content being part of a Northern Ireland within the UK and EU will vote to leave the UK to feel as Irish and European as they did before Brexit.

14. The poll will be much closer thanks to your Brexit folly and could easily be lost by Unionists, breaking up the UK.

15. Any break up of the Union will be your fault (a tad inconvenient as a member of the Conservative and er, Unionist party)

16. The EU is not responsible for your blundering lack of foresight. Like most people in Northern Ireland they were happy with the status quo.

17. By the time the penny drops that you can’t preserve the Union you want without the one you don’t, it will be too late.

18. You will be remembered not as the Churchillian visionary you delude yourself to be but the ignoramus who triggered the break up of the UK.

19. If there’s any justice all this will come to pass when you're Prime Minister so you can finally swim in the constitutional sewage you've created (though we all know you’ll be in Nice with your trotters up)

20. Meantime, if you’re so concerned about keeping Northern Ireland totally aligned with the rest of the UK where’s your support for our same sex marriage and women’s right to choose? Your silence is deafening.

End

In a nutshell, so to speak grin

GillT57 Sun 07-Oct-18 22:14:02

Well I still can't read of any good reason why you did vote for it lemon but as long as you are happy eh? Why should anyone else's inconvenience distract you from your dream.

Jalima1108 Sun 07-Oct-18 23:12:09

People with second homes do not go on 'holiday' for 1 week or 2, - they go to their second home, which happens to be across the border rather than in Devon or the Lakes ... and they go for many weeks at a time, even months- as they have chosen homes in the country where their pets are welcome
hmm

Leaving their 'first homes' in the UK empty for months at a time then, when there are so many homeless. Who amongst them, then, would dare criticise those rich foreigners who own homes in London but only visit for a few weeks at a time, when so many are homeless?

Jalima1108 Sun 07-Oct-18 23:18:59

The Germans, Dutch and Swiss are picking up some amazing bargains for sure.
Please could you give us some details please jura - where, how much?
Some of us have European friends and relatives. We could tip them off!

Diana54 Mon 08-Oct-18 06:28:27

If we do get a hard Brexit, which is by no means certain what you do will depend on your circumstances.
If you can support yourself and have good health there will be no reason to return to the UK in a hurry, you may well need a visa and maybe restrictions with pets.
If you are reliant on UK investment income, getting older and health not so certain, returning to UK makes sense, you probably would have returned in a few years in any case.
If you are working there won't be a problem but don't expect to get free health care or benefits, even an overseas nurse working for the NHS has to pay for health care today.

Lots of "ifs" there

jura2 Mon 08-Oct-18 12:40:11

'returning to UK makes sense, you probably would have returned in a few years in any case. '

why and how do you come to that conclusion? That was NEVER ever on our plans when we moved here. We can get much better care here, than in the UK, much better.

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Oct-18 12:45:21

We can get much better care here, than in the UK, much better.
That's interesting - as you have said you have to partially pay through private insurance for your care, but think it is better than in the UK, do you think that would be the way to go for the health services here?

Welshwife Mon 08-Oct-18 12:56:45

The healthcare in France is much better than the U.K. also and yes I do think partial paying is the way to go. The poorest people or those with serious life threatening illnesses do not pay.
The waiting time is much less and the number of medical staff in any facility is very high.

Grandad1943 Mon 08-Oct-18 12:58:57

In regard to healthcare insurance, what happens to those on low incomes, low pensions or disabled etc who cannot afford to pay for such cover.

Do the abovr rely on charity hospitals as in the United States???

jura2 Mon 08-Oct-18 13:02:53

An interesting question Jalima, thank you.

Difficult always to compare apples and oranges.

In this case, I was thinking OAP care, rather than health.

If the UK decides that the NHS needs to be privatised - then, yes, the Swiss system could well be one to copy. Those on very low income get subsidies to pay for insurance- or if totally reliant on social care, it is paid for them.

OAP homes in our area are amazing- and cheaper than in UK. But we have NO intention of ever going into one- we can get help at home- much cheaper. Perhaps even in exchange for use of part of our home- for a family. The thought of living with only OAPs fills me with dread- would love younsters around, and of course my cats and dog. But this is another story altogehter....

Then - EXIT - one of the many reasons we want to stay here and have end of life choice.

jura2 Mon 08-Oct-18 13:04:33

Posts crossed grandad- so the answer is no- basic healthcare and OAP care is available to all- you can pay extra to get a private room (mind you, for my 2 knees, and OPs both operation, I was in single room, and OH in 2 men room- so why pay extra?).

jura2 Mon 08-Oct-18 13:05:58

If we did go into OAP home, we would have to pay for it 100%, then have to sell home when finance run out - State leaves you with about 20.000 each for your children to inherit, and takes all the rest.

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Oct-18 13:15:10

In this case, I was thinking OAP care, rather than health.
Ah, I see, yes.

GillT57 Mon 08-Oct-18 14:22:16

It is rather unfair to dismiss all of those with second homes as being wealthy and somehow not worthy of sympathy, it is not their fault that the housing market in parts of the UK is so out of control that young adults cannot buy their own home. We have our own, modest, home in the Home Counties, and had been considering, half seriously, selling up, buying a smaller place here and using the rest to buy a home in France or Spain, and then split our time between the two, alongwith our dog ( and her passport). Since the catastrophic result 2 years ago we have completely shelved our plans. Now, I know this is not earth shattering in the great plan, nor is the fact that my niece will no longer be able to visit her family in the UK for long trips, but all over the UK ( and Europe) there are people like us, ordinary people, whose life plans have been changed, or who have been massively inconvenienced because a small part of the electorate decided to use the Eu to give the government a kicking. And for what?

jura2 Mon 08-Oct-18 15:35:38

Exactly GillT - some people have second homes in the UK, some modest, some not at all. Some have no 2nd home, but massive top of the range main house, some I know have both ... Many in France have bought small very modest places for the location, etc. Just plain daft to accuse all second home owners of being wealthy and selfish.

In our case, we have a second home indeed - a small flat in a non-touristy part of the UK, which we love. It was part of the very careful planning, just 'in case' - as we felt it was massively important to have something to fall back on if all goes t*ts up for some reason. Never ever could we imagine what would happen with Brexit- that is for sure.

We have several friends who have bought in France, and 2 in Switzerland, very modest and in a cheap part (yes - it does exist) to retire to - but like you Gill- have had to cancel all plans due to uncertainty and due to exchange rate.

GillT57 Mon 08-Oct-18 17:11:21

The irony of course jura2 is that some of the Brits living in Spain voted for Brexit, based on the crap carefully balanced stories they read in the Daily Mail, so are we to assume that there will be plane loads of elderly Brits coming back to UK with no money, having sold their homes for a pittance? If they voted to leave they can bu**er off as far as I am concerned! I saw a news report once, interviewing Brits in Spain, they voted for Brexit because UK was 'full of foreigners'.....grin you couldn't make it up, could you?

jura2 Mon 08-Oct-18 17:15:05

Well, yes, my sentiments entirely.

Fennel Mon 08-Oct-18 19:08:53

A recent report shows that France his starting to have the same problems as the UK with medical services:
www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs/article/2018/10/08/rendez-vous-medicaux-2-jours-pour-un-generaliste-7-semaines-pour-un-ophtalmologue_5366495_4355770.html

Fennel Mon 08-Oct-18 19:10:59

ps but how did we get onto this from the OP about Northern Ireland Brexit and the Irish border?

varian Mon 08-Oct-18 19:13:54

Most English Tory voters would be happy to see UK break up as price of Brexit, survey suggests - Politics live

www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/oct/08/labour-and-tory-mayors-unite-to-demand-they-take-back-control-of-regional-spending-after-brexit-politics-live

This is appalling. Whatever happened to the Conservative and Unionist Party?

Grandad1943 Mon 08-Oct-18 20:10:35

And what would those Conservatives say when the unionists in Northern Ireland began attacking the British mainland for "selling them out"

As Jerry Adams stated a few months back "the gunman have not gone away, they have just gone quiet".

B9exchange Mon 08-Oct-18 23:39:51

I have no answers, but I cannot understand how people who claim to be members of a Christian church, whether protestant or catholic, can use their religion as an excuse for their hatred of each other. The whole point of the Christian religion is we are told above all else 'to love one another as I have loved you'. Forgiveness is also required of every single Christian. The prayer we were given to use asks 'forgive us our sins as we forgive others'. Hatred and enmity have no part in Christian life, no matter how you have been treated in the past. It isn't easy, of course not, but we are promised that we don't have to go through it alone.

I have just spent the day in Coventry. Following the bombing of the mediaeval Cathedral in 1940, Provost Howard had the words ‘Father Forgive’ inscribed on the wall behind the Altar of the ruined building. The people of Coventry decided on reconciliation instead of hatred, they have developed close ties with Germany.

I especially liked the prayer for reconciliation which is prayed each week:

All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

The hatred which divides nation from nation, race from race, class from class,
Father, forgive.

The covetous desires of people and nations to possess what is not their own,
Father, forgive.

The greed which exploits the work of human hands and lays waste the earth,
Father, forgive.

Our envy of the welfare and happiness of others,
Father, forgive.

Our indifference to the plight of the imprisoned, the homeless, the refugee,
Father, forgive.

The lust which dishonours the bodies of men, women and children,
Father, forgive.

The pride which leads us to trust in ourselves and not in God,
Father, forgive.

Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if that prayer was said in each school in NI each week, and in each Church?

jura2 Tue 09-Oct-18 19:43:00

The DUP is getting quite angry now- and Raab made a terrible mess of today in the House of Commons. He is totally out of his depth.

Fennel Tue 09-Oct-18 20:27:10

Rather unkind but the truth!
www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2018/oct/08/steve-bells-if-arlene-foster-out-of-step-with-dancing-queen-may

trisher Tue 09-Oct-18 20:58:36

Fennel grin Now can we look forward to the Conservatves and the DUP falling out? Do you suppose Arlene and Mrs May are negotiating how much more it will cost to keep the DUP on side?

jura2 Tue 09-Oct-18 21:33:46

oh to be a fly on the wall ;)