Gransnet forums

News & politics

British expats in France and other EU countries

(143 Posts)
jura2 Thu 18-Oct-18 09:22:00

Despite Mrs May repeated reassurances, it is now clear, that

BRITONS living in France will instantly be deemed illegal immigrants if the UK crashes out of the European Union without an exit deal, Emmanuel Macron’s government has proposed.

That will also mean the end of reciprocal health care and any kind of social support in case circumstances have changed, like losing a spouse, or illness or accident, etc, requiring any kind of assistance.

And you wonder why people are so worried, some of them actually suffering from severe anxiety, depression and other illnesses.

oldbatty Sat 20-Oct-18 17:26:04

shake away, so people who are scrabbling about here on Universal Credit are getting flights to go and farm abroad?

Jalima1108 Sat 20-Oct-18 20:11:20

I didn't say that oldbatty

You asked
Which UK citizens leave to go and work the land overseas?
Check it out

oldbatty Sat 20-Oct-18 20:21:37

can't be bothered, you tell me.

GabriellaG Sat 20-Oct-18 21:28:25

paddyann
If you are talking about your own 'countrymen' living abroad, they are referred to as expats and incomers as immigrants. If you were a Spaniard or from Dubai, you would talk about Brits living their respective countries as being immigrants and their own countrymen living here as being expats.

GabriellaG Sat 20-Oct-18 21:33:32

I'm all for leaving the damned EU ASAP.
There will then, hopefully, be less chat on the subject. Que sera sera.

MawBroon Sat 20-Oct-18 21:36:52

I hesitate to ask this but it is a genuine enquiry
If you live abroad and your pension or other income comes from the U.K. whose tax do you pay - your “host”country or the country where the payment originates?
I am assuming permanent residency abroad apart from the limited number of days you may return to the U.K. without being deemed to live here.

GabriellaG Sat 20-Oct-18 21:48:33

MawBroon
It depends on the tax rules of each country. One of my AC lives abroad but not in an EU country. They pay taxes in whichever country they earned the money, however, the money earned abroad cannot be transferred out of the country without incurring swingeing tax penalties here in the UK.

GabriellaG Sat 20-Oct-18 21:51:23

Nandalot

Why?

newnanny Sat 20-Oct-18 21:54:38

I have only read page one of thread but read in paper today that Macron got his translation wrong as he was speaking in English. French aids have now clarified Brits will not need to get visa to visit but any Brits living in France will need to apply for French residency.

MaizieD Sat 20-Oct-18 22:35:44

There will then, hopefully, be less chat on the subject. Que sera sera.

Good heavens, Gabriella! You're not obliged to read any of it, you know.

Mamie Sun 21-Oct-18 05:27:18

MawBroon basically you pay in your host country. However pensions from government, local, government, teachers, military, some NHS etc are taxed at source in the UK. I pay tax on my occupational pension in the UK and tax on my state pension in France. The double taxation treaty (not EU) means that you don't pay tax twice.

MawBroon Sun 21-Oct-18 08:43:05

Thanks Mamie I just wasn’t clear on that.

Fennel Sun 21-Oct-18 09:32:30

We were in the same position as Mamie taxwise.
Except that we also had rent from an english property, which was taxed in the UK . Although the people at the french tax office were't happy about that. They conceded in the end.
We had 2 lots of tax returns to fill in very year.

Fennel Sun 21-Oct-18 09:58:15

ps another thing - you have to declare all sources of revenue. Also send them a list of all bank accounts so that they can check up if necessary.

GabriellaG Sun 21-Oct-18 19:08:17

Maisie
I do realise that I need not read it and I don't but there is no getting away from the headlines online, in the papers and on tv.
That is what I meant, not anything alluding to Brexit on GN.

GabriellaG Sun 21-Oct-18 19:11:36

Apologies * MaizieD

MaizieD Sun 21-Oct-18 19:23:41

Apologies, too, for misreading you, GabriellaG