Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why do we allow this to happen?

(29 Posts)
Rosina Fri 19-Oct-18 18:01:09

I hear today that AnJem Choudery has been released from prison, that he is to be closely monitored and restrictions placed upon his movements.
I interpret this to mean that he will be living at home, on benefit (a guess, but would you employ him?) and that surveillance and monitoring of this highly dangerous individual will cost many hundreds of thousands of pounds, and a diversion of already overloaded police manpower.
Is it not time that individuals who incite terrorism, who hate us and want to destroy our way of life and our democracy, are left in prison and not given the opportunity to be released to continue with their evil? Is it not time also that incitement, still a common law offence under the public order act, is made a full criminal offence and punished accordingly? I just cannot understand why people capable of such dreadful behaviour are not charged with treason given that they are threatening the state. Instead they are released - a blessing not available to those who have been blown up in atrocities or killed individually by young men radicalised by hate preachers. We are far too tolerant, and will pay the price relentlessly.

Smileless2012 Fri 19-Oct-18 18:05:22

He should be deported Rosinaangryand why on earth should the British tax payer pay more for him to be monitored on his early release then it would have cost to keep him in jail.

petra Fri 19-Oct-18 19:44:35

Rosina
Just be patient. The law that he was charged on is being amended, hooray. He will trip himself up on his conditions, and by then this new law will be in place and he will back in Belmarsh for a long long time.

maddyone Sun 21-Oct-18 00:13:57

He can’t be deported Smileless because he was born in London, so that makes him British. I wish he could be too, and so will many others, but that will never happen. But what could happen in my opinion, is he could be kept in prison. Why on Earth is a dangerous man like this allowed to get parole?

Day6 Sun 21-Oct-18 00:24:09

Rosina - excellent OP and I fully agree.

Human rights should work both ways and that vile, hate-preaching, terrorist-supporting individual who enjoys all the benefits of the UK thanks to the taxpayer, ought to be locked up for life, in harsh conditions. He does not deserve mercy.

I am glad we are a tolerant nation but why are we treading on eggshells with regard to the revolting Choudery?

It doesn't make us bigger, stronger, better - it makes us appear weak, stupid and foolish to allow this repugnant man to walk freely amongst us.

travelsafar Sun 21-Oct-18 07:33:36

Rosina brilliant post which i am sure many people will agree with.

Baggs Sun 21-Oct-18 07:38:57

I don't think being born in Britain is sufficient under our current laws to make one British. I know this with regard to a friend of mine, one of whose children is not British even though he was born here because his foreign mother was not married to a Brit at the time.

I have no idea if Choudery is British. I Agree with the OP that laws need to change to deal with people like him in ways more in keeping with real justice.

Baggs Sun 21-Oct-18 07:40:07

Whoops. I think the spelling is Choudary.

PECS Sun 21-Oct-18 07:49:50

I agree with those who feel the law needs to be able to deal with people like Choudary in a way that is
a) safer for the majority of citizens
b) enables better use of resources
c) enables UK to be a civilised government.
Like Baggs not sure of his status re deportation but he is a British born lawyer aged 51. However deportation might mean less monitoring and more danger.

LullyDully Sun 21-Oct-18 08:10:08

The Times has an article about all the resources needed to keep him safe, yet on the next page they said many of the victims of the Manchester bombing had had little psychological support. I know the skills.needed.are.different for both, but the finances are the same....taxes.

Iam64 Sun 21-Oct-18 08:56:20

If he was born here, he's British so deportation isn't an option.
Our prisons are increasingly populated by people like Choudary and during their sentences, these people go about encouraging others to join their distorted and dangerous belief systems.
I share the frustration and anger of other posters here. I wish he could be denied any state benefits but the precedent that would set means it's a bad idea. Here's hoping he'll be re-arrested and sent back to prison very soon.
Meanwhile, what suggestions do we have to reduce the radicalisation of others, both in society and in our prisons.

gillybob Sun 21-Oct-18 09:23:08

What I can’t understand is why he was released having served only around 2 years of a 5 year sentence? confused

Humbertbear Sun 21-Oct-18 09:32:28

There is a loophole in the law, Gillybob. In the Sunday Times today it’s says they will be closing it, but too late to keep him in prison

Oldwoman70 Sun 21-Oct-18 09:34:16

I understand he is now planning to sue the government (using legal aid of course) because the restrictions on him breach his "human rights". Isn't it strange how he is very quick to demand his rights yet supports Isis which seeks to deny rights to others

gillybob Sun 21-Oct-18 09:41:42

Thank you Humbertbear

And no doubt some scum lawyer will be only too pleased to take it on ££££££ oldwoman70

TerriBull Sun 21-Oct-18 09:57:06

I gather he was born and raised in Kent and spent his youth indulging in every vice known to man. He also qualified as a solicitor but has spent most of his adult life on benefits. Not only a total waste of space but an ongoing threat to the public. On the news a couple of days ago, one Muslim man was furious he had been released, commenting he had destroyed many families and caused much grief and heartache.

Willow10 Sun 21-Oct-18 11:22:17

It's baffles me that someone who was born and raised, housed, fed and educated in this country, has such hatred for their own people. He's never contributed anything positive to society yet can continue to sponge of our taxes and still spout his 'rights' as a British citizen. I wish they could lock up him and all those like him and throw away the key. We are far too soft on these vile individuals.

Iam64 Sun 21-Oct-18 12:07:35

He's probably a psychopath Willow10, at least that was my immediate thought on reading your post.

He is definitely a menace and I'm not ashamed to say I resent my taxes being used to fund his lifestyle. What we do about it, is beyond me. If we stop his benefits, that sets a precedent for stopping the benefits of any non conformist. Given the difficulties ordinary folks have in getting legal aid, surely there must be a way the Courts can refuse his application for legal aid>

nigglynellie Sun 21-Oct-18 12:50:00

Tbh, I'm speechless that this appalling person has been released from Prison. He's just a horrible horrible creature! How on earth can the families whose lives he's ruined be feeling? We the tax payer are expected to keep him!, despite the fact that he would murder us all given the chance, trying to sue the government at our expense! I despair!

POGS Sun 21-Oct-18 13:43:26

It just shows the weakness countries like ours have adopted.

It just shows the ridiculous sentencing countries like ours have adopted.

It just begs the question what deterrent is there when countries like ours have adopted such weakness to protect the country and it's citizens?

Rosina Sun 21-Oct-18 16:13:35

A person with clout - perhaps a Minister? - please !! needs to demonstrate some backbone and start tough legislation to change this insane situation. Emergency laws can be passed quickly - this has been demonstrated; there is precedent. There should also be no option for this man to start legal action, unless he is funding it himself. I have known people desperate for justice, who have been refused legal aid - how does this person get funding, and repeatedly?

Rosina Sun 21-Oct-18 16:18:53

I meant to add that Judges can refuse the right to appeal; why did the Judge here not say that he could not appeal the conditions of his release? Another option would be for him to have had to agree to those conditions before release. Whilst my knowledge of law is obviously very flimsy and amateur, and largely the result of 'googling', this has been left wide open for him to start yet another legal wrangle at taxpayers expense.

nigglynellie Sun 21-Oct-18 17:07:55

Do you know, I begin to think ,what with one thing and another that this country deserves everything it gets! except of course it's the poor people on the receiving end of our absurd, liberal to the point of idiocy, laws that deeply affect them who suffer - never subservient politicians though!!

Baggs Sun 21-Oct-18 17:12:45

I think keeping someone like this safe from a lynch mob is actually a good, strong thing about our country.

It's on the same plane as the presumption of innocence until guilt is proven—principled.

The problem is really that, as the law stands, he could not be kept in prison for a much longer time for what he did. I think there is a move in government to make the law more robust and punishments more in keeping with the crime.

PECS Sun 21-Oct-18 17:29:02

With uou on that sentiment Baggs